Is there a slowdown in congregation get togethers?

by truthseeker 44 Replies latest jw friends

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

Following is a recent invitation that several JWs received:

Hello friends,
    No matter what I do to try to correct this matter the Official Invitation (Word Document) is not coming out like I intended. So please scroll all the way down when you open it. Some of us are not so good with computers as others so please forgive me. ;^) This should complete the information that everyone was asking about.
    Agape

AN EVENING WITH FRIENDS

Dinner/Dance will be August 20, 2005
    Time: 7:00pm to 12:00 midnight.
    Price: $40.00 per person
    Attire: Formal
    DINNER: Chicken Entree with vegetables, tea and water.
    Hotel rates and room information $135 per night Phone 979-693-7500 World Wide Reservation 800-445-8667
    (2 persons to a room $68 each) (3 persons to a room $45 each) (4 persons to a room $34 each)

We have a big deposit to get in by April 1, 2005 this will reserve the ball room and services applied. So if at all possible the friends need to send their funds in ASP.

If you have any questions please call us at ***-***-**** or e-mail us at **********@yahoo.com

"This event is for JW's in good standing only, if you have an unbelieving mate they are welcome to attend with you or a Bible student in good standing (ready for immersion the person conducting the study should know this and use good judgement). Please remember who we are representing our dress should be modest and we should show respect & love in our behavior at all times.
    Agape

• upside/down
    upside/down

BARF!

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

Several days later, this warning was sent to the same group:

Just a little something to think about when we get these invitations for large gatherings:

Our Kingdom Ministry
    September 1995
    Page 2

*** km 9/95 p. 2 Do All Things for God?s Glory ***

Do All Things for God?s Glory

1 How refreshing it is to associate with our dear brothers and sisters! (1 Cor. 16:17, 1

2 Organized Social Affairs: Whether we are ?eating or drinking or doing anything else,? we should ?do all things for God?s glory.? (1 Cor. 10:31-33) This counsel is not observed by some, and problems continue to develop because of social gatherings too large to be properly supervised. In some instances, hundreds of people are invited to elaborate functions where worldly entertainment is featured. Sometimes those attending are asked to pay admission or other fees. Such gatherings closely resemble worldly affairs, the spirit of which is out of harmony with decency and Bible principles.?Rom. 13:13, 14; Eph. 5:15-20.

3 It has been reported that large numbers of Witnesses have gathered at rented facilities where the entertainment is unwholesome and worldly and where proper supervision is lacking. Similar activities advertised as a ?Jehovah?s Witness? weekend have been held at hotels or resorts. Because of the difficulty in properly supervising such large groups, problems have developed. Rowdiness, overindulgence in alcoholic beverages, and even immorality have sometimes resulted. (Eph. 5:3, 4) Social gatherings where such conduct occurs do not honor Jehovah. Rather, they bring reproach upon the good name of the congregation and stumble others.?1 Cor. 10:23, 24, 29.

4 Christians are encouraged to show hospitality, but the emphasis should be focused on the spiritual interchange. (Rom. 1:11, 12) Small get-togethers are usually best. The Our Ministry book says on pages 135-6: ?At times, several families may be invited to a home for Christian fellowship. . . . Reasonably, those who are hosts in such cases should feel personally responsible for what takes place. With this in mind, discerning Christians have seen the wisdom of limiting the size of such groups and the duration of the gatherings.? Jesus indicated that nothing elaborate is needed when our goal is to encourage our friends spiritually.?Luke 10:40-42.

5 It is a fine thing to show hospitality to fellow Christians. However, there is a big difference between a modest gathering in our home and an elaborate affair reflecting a worldly spirit in a rented facility. When you invite others to be your guests, you should be sure that you can assume full responsibility for what takes place.?See The Watchtower of August 15, 1992, pages 17-20.

6 Truly, Jehovah has blessed us with a brotherhood from which we derive refreshing encouragement that motivates us to continue in fine works. (Matt. 5:16; 1 Pet. 2:12) By displaying modesty and reasonableness in social activities, we will always bring glory to our God and be upbuilding to others.?Rom. 15:2.

• ljwtiamb
  • ljwtiamb
  • Effervescent
    Effervescent

They can turn absolutley anything into a sin.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

This event is for JW's in good standing only, if you have an unbelieving mate they are welcome to attend with you or a Bible student in good standing (ready for immersion the person conducting the study should know this and use good judgement). Please remember who we are representing our dress should be modest and we should show respect & love in our behavior at all times.
    Agape

Just as a side note,why do some idiotic people sign off with Agape?Are they too lazy or stupid to realize that in this context it doesnt fit!!

• zaphod
    zaphod

i am a single mother with three young boys. have others experienced similar congregational "hospitality" to mine? or have yours been more positive?

when i was associating with the jw congregation i found that there was a thriving social life going on and that myself and my boys had little or no part in it.

like the good christian, i went to the elders for help and encouragement to be told that it was my fault and that i needed to put myself out and give love to receive love.

so, credulous as ever, and in spite of being on benefit, i organised a light-hearted bible quiz, based on the societies literature with buffet and invited some of the other members of the congregation to what i thought was a pleasant evenings association.

i was approached by one of the elders that i had invited, who had concerns that, if i asked the questions in the quiz, this might be deemed as my teaching the brothers that were present and that i would have to make other arrangements.

as i could not take part in the quiz, having written the questions and spent a lot of time trying to make it not too dry and not as i was aware challenging any important doctrinal points ( eg. question What does the bible name deborah mean?), nor could i ask the questions, i was really upset. more upset because i felt that i had followed counsel and put myself out and made the effort to try to organise something fitting.(it was not a rave for goodness sake!)

the evening went ahead. the aforementioned elder was a witty and erudite question master and i made lots of cups of tea and coffee.

i was never invited to the homes of any of these brothers and sisters that had accepted my hospitality. when watchtowers came out on the subject of caring for the fatherless boys in the congregation, or showing love to single parents, i waited in vain for the flood of invitations to field service or family studies from sisters and brothers, who, like us all, often don't think. they would never come.

i decided later to only invite the poor and needy to my home, who did not have the capacity to repay my hospitality, so that i would not be disappointed.

i only miss these old brothers and sisters, not any of our cold elders, now that i am in the world.

i felt that i was being shunned, even before i left the congregation.

zaphod

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

welcome to the board zaphod. thats a very good example of how 'loving' the JWs are. usually this sort of treatment is met out to JWs of so called 'divided families' too.

"you shall know them by their fruits"

• zaphod
    zaphod

thanks pd

you think you're the only one who's gone through all this s**t.

it's a shame but a comfort all the same.

zaphod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit