Is there a slowdown in congregation get togethers?

by truthseeker 44 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

A lot of this depends on local elders and the current CO. Some bodies truly understand the need for upbuilding association and go out of their way to provide it. That actually makes it harder to fade because now you're now just missing meetings and service you are also missing wholesome association.

I've noticed that get togethers still happen but they seem to be smaller in size and less in frequency. Even in places where the elder body encourages get togethers some don't go because they're worn out from all the theocratic activity during the week plus their secular responsibilities. I've known very faithful dubs who attend very few social activities due to this. I've seen them get even more tired and worn out because now they're keeping up with all the busy work they are supposed to but not getting to enjoy the social aspect of the truth.

Clearly from the various comments there has been some attitude change (for whatever reason) since around the mid-1980s. Perhaps I'll reveiw the literature from 1983 up to see if there is some subtle shift in thinking. That is besides the article stating that congregation gatherings were a no no.

Mary,

You can eat outside during the conventions. They just don't want anyone going to a local food court or hotdog vendor to purchase food. They would like everyone to stayo on the convention grounds to associate during lunch. I'm sure some super-dubs might see that as inside only, but that isn't how the majority see it.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I remember that the few times there were get-togethers there were always people who were offended at something. The elders usually made comments in their talks about large get-togethers being a bad thing because people would be out of 'control' (they meant elder control). I even remember an elder telling me at my bookstudy that it was not a good idea to have goodies every week, we should only do it at an unscheduled time once in a while. I remmber thinking in my head--what is wrong with these people?

I do remember the assemblies strongly discouraging people from leaving at lunchtime. What control freaks!

And weddings were not to be conducted at a place other than the Kingdom Hall, and heaven forbid you should use a non-Witness song at the ceremony. And it was considered a sin if you ran away to Reno and quietly got married because that meant you were in a hurry to get married so you could have sex.

My congregation was pretty extreme, we had some whacko witnesses who had immense control over the even the elders. Their whole family were pioneers, except the unbelieving father, and the daughters were still living at home into their forties, because of course it is evil to get married or heaven forbid have babies in this system. They did housecleaning and all shared one car. I remember when I was 18 I moved out on my own, and they couldn't believe that I did not stay at home and pioneer rather than work full time.

Anyway, forgive me for getting off the subject, but reading these posts really brings back a lot of puckey memories.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

After reading all of the posts so far, I can't help but feel the need to pity those that don't know any better that pay homage to the OVERLORDS of the various Kingdom Halls. Control is what most of the R&F want and use to their satisfaction. What a shame that true friendship never really was and never can be because of the doctrine of men.

Hopefully those people that really care and have love in their hearts can find GOD and have peace without someone telling you what you can and cannot do.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have noticed over the years that these get-togethers have all but vanished. But, as some of you have pointed out, there are some (usually ones with money) who do get together for vacations, cruises, etc. These gatherings usually happen in secrecy and you hear about them when they are past.

The saddest part about all this is that they profess to be Christians who will be there for each other when persecution and difficult times start. How in the world could you expect them to "be there for you" when they don't bother with you now? It is highly unlikely that they will rise to the occasion during difficult times when they are all running and covering their rear-ends now. Makes you sick.

LHG

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Well I guess I don't need to say anything about the local congregation,It's been pretty much covered from what I've read here!

• JustUs
    JustUs

I had to chuckle as these posts reminded me of one of the last "get togethers" I'm glad I missed. Seems Brother MoreRightousThanYou, suggested the group, gathered in the rec room of a trailer complex, throw a stack of WatchTowers into the center of the room, and each one of the "friends" would pick a magazine from the pile, and discuss their favorite article from the randomly selected rag. Like I said, glad I missed that one!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No an increase - it seems as though the social side is coming more to the fore deep in these last days - at least that is the case in our congregation

• TheListener
    TheListener

Stillajwexelder,

Is the social side something for everyone to participate in or is it limited in its size? What kinds of things are people doing? I love being able to hear this kind of stuff from around the world. None of the congs. around me have a very social spirit. There are get togethers, just not very often and definitely limited in size. It's nothing like the old days when social activities were an important part of our worship.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I dunno, they dont invite me !

there seems to be little or nothing organised . Young teens and single twenties seem to get out and about but of course they have to be on the 'In crowd ' to get in to it.. I guess that may be true of any social group though

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    A few years ago, my congregation rented out a hall and had "Talent Night" - it happened once. Nothing has happened since then.

I only wish we could have had some thing like this at least once, growing up at my old hall. The only get togethers we had were the Theocratic Ministry school ,the Sunday meeting and the book study.

The only times I ever remember anything remotely festive was a baby & bridal showers. A few anniversary dinners for the kh's elite couples, and of course weddings. My parents are nice people and they loved to cook and have some folks over, but it was always the same brothers and sisters.

Dragonlady76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit