i told my mother that i do not desire to be associated with jws anymore and

by drunkenpikachu 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    If you really want to make her life miserable, you could take your charges to the elders and get her reproved for physical violence,

Somehow I doubt that would work. I tried it myself. His mother is spiritual and also his parent. Obey your father and mother, and respect your spiritual brothers and sisters. The elders won't listen.

she started smacking, punching, pushing me. soon after, she threw the biggest tantrum and it disgusted me to see her acting in such a manner. i told her to get a hold of herself while she was practically ripping my shirt off

...and you just stood there and took it?

You've probably got a lot of the same problems that I had developed over the course of your JW upbringing. You're mother's not the only one who needs to fix herself up, but you're also going to have to do some work. It sounds as if you don't have the ability to stand up or defend yourself. You probably have low self-esteem. I can imagine what it took to tell her you want to leave the JWs.

I'm in the middle of posting my life story (the long version). Feel free to read it. You may relate to it quite well.

• avishai
    avishai

I had a psycho grandma like this too. Call the police, DO NOT HANDLE IT YOUR SELF.

Get documentation . Even if the cops do nothing. Call them.

• avishai
    avishai

Well? Can we get an update? A little concerned aboutcha buddy!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

drunkenanimatedthingy

A ghastly experience for you. But kudos for the second post.

Basically, you are right. And as it is your life, you need to look after yourself and be safe emotionally and physically.

You will be treated horribly and royally pissed-off by your family by the sounds of it. It will hurt and could well lead to lasting problems with your relationship with them.

Now, some people come from families they are only too glad to see the backs of, no matter how tragic it is it is for the best. Others are luckier and want to keep in contact.

The real bummer is YOU are the adult. You are the person who really knows what is going on.

They are the people trapped in a non-sensiscal belief structure...I don't know if you're using the C-word yet (no, not that one, I mean cult ).

They will be immature, unreasonablee and illogical.

I found I had to be the reverse to that; I was the grown-up, they were the ones who could fly off the handle for some (to me) silly reason.

I find thinking 'I'm the adult, they're the cultist' on the rare occasions they get in my face helps LOADS.

Your family are different and you are different, you may not find this accommodationn possible, but I wish you the best and let us know how things are going.

• drunkenpikachu
    drunkenpikachu

whooo..what a friggin horrible week. well the reason i couldn't really update you guys was because..i got everything taken away. my car, my comp, my cell phone. so i just didn't go home for a couple nights because i really hated the thought of even walking through the door. of course my grandma and mom flipped a couple more times until they started to realize they couldn't control me anymore. so apparently i have my comp back and some sort of respect. i basically told them i have no problem moving out unless they respected (is that a word?) my decisions. there is this feeling inside of me begging me to stay because i really don't wanna leave them in the state of extreme debt we're in. i've been sacrificing my time to help the store we have 12 hours a day, getting no pay, and all i wanted was to live my life in the remaining time that i was allowed. there would be times when i'd go to my gf's house and just fall asleep cuz i'd be so tired out from work and forget to go home. i'd apologize but they demanded i come home before 12 and i didn't think that was their decision to make for me because circumstances arise. it's like i had no control but i still wanna respect them. i just wanna live my life, is that too much to ask for? as for the situation, my grandma erupted with her own tantrum at the store, my mom is just too tired to scream now (she is going to the hospital for counselling every week), and me, i'm slowly regaining the control i should have over my own free will. so let's hope i can pull through. thanks for the love everyone. dp.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    i basically told them i have no problem moving out unless they respected (is that a word?) my decisions.

Did you mean this sentence to be humorous? I actually laughed out loud with your 'is that a word?' comment. Of course 'respected' is a word. Sounds like not much respect is actually shown at your home.

i really don't wanna leave them in the state of extreme debt we're in.

Who's debt are you talking about here? Sounds like you are owning the debt but I have a sneaky suspiscion that you were not the primary cause of the debt. At 23, and with all the other adults you alluded to, something tells me - my gut instinct - that you probably contributed very little, if anything, to the debt. I wonder if you could tally up how much of the debt is actually yours. Imagine if you moved out, got a paying job and supported yourself. Could you make payment to 'the family' and pay off your portion of the debt in a year? I bet you could.

... all i wanted was to live my life in the remaining time that i was allowed.

I'm sorry. I don't understand this part at all. Are you dying?

it's like i had no control but i still wanna respect them.

umm OK but if you are 23, are they respecting you, too? I firmly believe that respect works both ways. Mutual respect - and certainly respect of boundaries - is a core component of any healthy relationship. Any healthy relationship.

i just wanna live my life, is that too much to ask for?

Nope. At 23, it's probably time you started. Try to be smart about it. Then again, if you live in the home that belongs to someone else, they are allowed to set rules.

as for the situation, my grandma erupted with her own tantrum at the store, my mom is just too tired to scream now (she is going to the hospital for counselling every week), and me, i'm slowly regaining the control i should have over my own free will. so let's hope i can pull through. thanks for the love everyone. dp.

We care. I felt the love in this thread too. dp - Wow. MUCH better picture of what's going on with you after your last posting. Thank you for coming back and letting us know how things are progressing. Some people here really do care to know that you are OK. Please pop in now and again. We want to see you succeed at whatever you choose to do. I believe that a parent's primary responsibility to their children is to help them to grow into happy, healthy, independent adults. Once you know you can do that for yourself, you are in a much better position to help others. I'm so, so glad you started this thread. It helped me get a little more clarity and understanding of my own history. I've still got wounds that I'm trying to heal from similar family life to yours. While living at home (until the age of 22) I was expected to take care of my family, too. And to help out with expenses - majorly. For a while my entire paycheck was given to my parents and I was given an allowance of $20. From that $20 I paid for my car expenses so I could go to and from work and run errands and help buy clothes for the younger kids. Get this: If I still had $5 left over from the previous week, my allowance was cut down to $15. When I moved out on my own, my living expenses actually went DOWN. Trouble was that by that time I was accustomed to taking on way more responsibility than was warranted. Eventually I had a nervous breakdown and then cancer. I feel both are related to my failure to set proper boundaries and give my OWN life the proper respect it required. At 23, it sounds like it's time for you to start looking out for you and make those other adults start doing the same. Hugs and all my best wishes for you, -Aude.

• drunkenpikachu
    drunkenpikachu

hey aude thanks for the reply. first off...the debt is not even mine at all. allegedly, the debt was made FOR my benefit, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. the only reason i'm helping is i'd be a bastard if i didn't. but that's just me. maybe i'm just trying to be a good son. but it seems my mom takes it for granted that i could be working somewhere else making so much more compared to the 20 bucks she gives me. practically, she BORROWED money to invest in some business venture, which really went down the drain, so we're in debt (because of my mom) a significant amount while having no resources to pay any other expenses. i had to be the one to settle financial matters while all she did was avoid all the phonecalls and visits from the creditors/landlords/etc. and yet, there she was calling herself a more mature adult, a mother first and foremost, solidifying her argument with the bible that i was to obey her no matter what. i could not help but notice that if she was indeed the mature adult she claimed to be, this debt of hers would never have fallen into my hands, she would have felt ashamed to put such a burden on myself (me having to take a semester off from college just to help her), but more importantly, she would have TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY FOR HER ACTIONS. i don't even know how she can justify that i had an obligation to help her for all the expenses raising me as a child amounted to. last time i checked, it was a parent's DUTY to support their child. with all this repetitive, "im a single mother, i gave you everything you ever wanted, listen to your elders, etc." bullcrap, it's like she had forgotten i had already ruminated on all she's said throughout my whole life and because i did take into consideration all of what she's told me, there i was helping her at the store while receiving no wages. if she has all the might to be jehovah's "soldier", please stop the damn pity front and show the might to be your own soldier. however, i do realize that my grandmother still has a role in her life and that in itself seems to be a problem. the fact that she still has to revert back to her own mother for guidance when confronted with a problem instead of taking responsibility for her own actions raised a red flag in my life. there was no way i wanted to live my whole life dependent on my mother. now it seems that my mother is dependent on me, and i don't know how to break it to her that she needs to get control of her life so that i can live mine. i still love my mom, but it's sad to see the dysfunctional reality she's had to grow up with, and her attempt to impose that same morbid reality upon her own children. i pray to jehovah everyday to help her see her own path. thanks once again. dp

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

*whew*

That's alot of information. Good information. And good for you to put thoughts down in writing (here or in a journal).

allegedly, the debt was made FOR my benefit, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

I think I know what this means. Try this on, see if it fits:

Someone went into debt to purchase or start up a business with the assumption that you would take it over, run it, make it successful and then support them. (Does that sound plausible?)

If so, they did it for themselves.

There is nothing that requires you to work a business that you are either not suited to run or have no interest in running.

As far as the obligation of debt: When people are in such heavy debt that they cannot recover, there is bankruptcy. It happens all the time. Your mother's debt is not your debt. Let her handle it.

It's great that you want to help out. But helping people should not entail sacrificing our own lives. We help others after our own responsibilities have been taken care of. Your first responsiblity and obligations is to yourself. If you set your life first, I bet you could still help out the family without suffocating from all the guilt, control and excessive obligation.

And you will probably find that you - and they - are better for it. Taking responsibility for our own lives and actions forces us to think and be reasonable. As much as the word 'reason' is spoken at the Kingdom Hall, there is really very little reasoning that is done. There is following. There is blaming. There is denying. There is avoidance of personal responsibility.

By you taking personal responsibility for YOU first and foremost, you will create a void in their lives. They will be forced to deal with that void. They will be faced with their own responsiblity of fixing it.

I wonder if there is some way to move out (even if it's just renting a room somewhere), getting a full- or part-time job, and continue with schooling..?? Many, many people in their late teens and early-to-mid 20's do that. Most them also have a very active social life. Lot's of time for their friends. I'm guessing that some (not all) of the 'time for friends' part could be directed toward helping your family. 2 evenings a week at the business. OR 6 or 8 or 10 hours on Saturday. Something very defined because your boundaries will be tested. (That much I can guarantee!) You could then, if you feel that obligated, also offer to contribute monetarilly.

If you decide to contribute money, make it a defined amount that you can both afford and control.

For example, $200 per month. Period.

$200 is a defined amount. Paying the electric bill is undefined.

The amount of the electric bill is subject to too many variables - and abuses.

i don't know how to break it to her that she needs to get control of her life so that i can live mine. i still love my mom, but it's sad to see the dysfunctional reality she's had to grow up with, and her attempt to impose that same morbid reality upon her own children. i pray to jehovah everyday to help her see her own path. thanks once again. dp

Sigh. The 'how to' is probably different for every situation...

For me, I moved in with a friend who needed a roommate for 2 months during the summer. It was a short period of time that it eased the feelings of abandonment for my parents. I never moved back. I still kept in touch. Still participated in family activities. Still took care of the kids - at my place. Still financially contributed where I could.

I think others here are better able to give other loving ways to 'break it to her'. Maybe start a new thread asking that 'How do I...' question. The threads that start with 'Help! -...' seem to get alot of responses quickly.

My history: at 33 I started school full time while working full-time to support myself with a mortgage. I still had some time for friends and family but not much. The grown-up ones understood, the immature and irresponsible ones moved on - including my own mother. She moved from congregation - to - congregation looking for others to fix her problems. A few friends would help out for a while. Then they saw that she was not taking any responsibility for own situation and was, in fact, subverting their efforts to help. She was creating more problems to keep herself more 'needy'. Eventually, she moved out of state and moved in with my brother. The one she had disowned. He and his wife took her in. Bought a home that was big enough for her to have her own little suite. They fed her. They took her on vacation with their kids. They assured her that she would always have a place for her in their home. It wasn't enough. She left and accused them of not caring. And not loving. Last I heard, she is floating around the homes of people in her new congregation(s) looking for someone new to dump herself on.

Some people feel that everyone else, the entire world, owes them. And they are driven to make each and every person they come across pay THAT debt back to them.

I'm speaking with a little bit of coldness for my 44 years of 'dealing' with my own mother. I adored her. I loved her. I resented her. I hated her. I'm just starting to understand her. and pity her. But only after first taking responsibility for my own life.

And to do that, I have to put my life first. Only THEN, can I really help anyone else.

Sorry for going off on that tangent. This thread just pulls at so much emotion from my own life. My true hope here is that something I say may help you find the path that makes the most sense for you to make. 23 is a good time to get started. Don't wait until you are 33 or 43 or 63. - most people start in their mid-teens. You weren't allowed to do that then. It's real important for yourself and for those you love that you start now.

**Hugs**

-Aude.

• avishai
    avishai

You deserve your own life.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    practically, she BORROWED money to invest in some business venture, which really went down the drain, so we're in debt (because of my mom) a significant amount while having no resources to pay any other expenses.

Wait... what? Did she borrow this money in your name? If so - that amounts to identity theft.

It is really good to see you standing up for yourself, pikachu.

g ently f eral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit