Signs of the end, are they so clear that we don't see them anymore?

by JH 55 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

They all had one thing in common: they were wrong.

seattleniceguy, if you count yourself as one "in this generation", how can you say that WE are wrong, since your end has not come?

michelle

I do think however, to be honest, that if the Lord hasn't returned in the next 100 years, we were wrong about this being the generation.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    Buttlights Avatar seems to be a "Sign of the End"- the flourescent kind

Someone has to direct traffic when armagedon gets here.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not alarmed; for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places:Other ancient authorities add and pestilencesb 8 all this is but the beginning of the birthpangs. 9 ?Then they will hand you over to be tortured and will put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name. 10 Then many will fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another.Or stumblec 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because of the increase of lawlessness, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And this good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the world, as a testimony to all the nations; and then the end will come.Or gospel

I think the JWs take this out of context. He says that there will be wars, so don't worry because the end is not yet. Then he uses the 'for' as a grammatical bridge to the previous idea saying, "look, all this shit is going to happen, but its not the end." Many of the Early Christians (c. 4th Century) believed that the "Last Days" started when Christ ascended into heaven.

Here's what the Haydock commentary says on verse 28 of Matthew 24: "The coming of Christ shall be sudden, and manifest to all the world, like lightening : and wheresoever he shall come, thither shall all mankind be gathered to him, as eagles are gathered about a dead body."

• blondie
    blondie

For me it was when an article came out on earthquakes in the December1, 1993 WT. But as Alan F points out, in a deceptive way. I was still a believing JW then but I picked up on it. It made we wonder what other "signs" would prove to be inaccurate, at least as the WTS tells it. This is a very good article.--Blondie

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/earthquakes.htm

Along with many other features of what it calls "the composite sign of Christ's presence since 1914," the Watchtower Society has long claimed that earthquakes have been far more frequent and severe in the 20th century than previously, and have caused far more deaths and damage. The December 1, 1993 Watchtower virtually abandons these claims, but does so in a manner calculated not to let on to the average Jehovah's Witness that the earlier claims have indeed been abandoned.
  • JAVA
    JAVA

Everything is a SIGN for End-Time Groups.

1. When the nations proclaim peace and security--it's a SIGN
    2. When there are wars and reports of wars--it's a SIGN

The question that begs to be answered is, what isn't a sign?

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Makes me think of Jeff Foxworthy when he says "HERE'S YOUR SIGN!"

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Makes me think of Jeff Foxworthy ...

You mean Bill Engvall? ;)

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    The question that begs to be answered is, what isn't a sign?

Good point, JAVA!

• JH
    JH
    what isn't a sign?

So, the question should read, how long after we see the signs, will the end come?

• franklin J
    franklin J

...I think when that was written, the writer really wanted the Roman empire to be conquered. Of course there was no power stronger than ancient Rome back in the ancient world; the conquering would have to come from a higher source.

To those who actually BELIEVE that book; I will smile and say I wish you the best. We are each entitled to believe however we want in the real world. I will not argue that point.

Personaly I believe that "book" to be written by men; conceieved by men and very overrated.

Will western civilization fall? Most probably yes; just as ancient Rome fell. Secular history has taught us that civilizations and Empires ( yes, even America) all go through cycles.

Is it the end of the world?.....no

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit