Signs of the end, are they so clear that we don't see them anymore?

by JH 55 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks Michelle, I'll look it up. I've only started reading the Bible again after a 30 year lapse. I've got S.D.A. baggage from my teens which makes me concentrate more on the good news of the gospel, instead of concerning myself with whether/ when the signs of the times are here. I now ask why should it matter? Was the call to "stay awake" just so that when things start to happen big style, faithful believers will not be too alarmed?

• myelaine
    myelaine

jaffacake,

for me the call to "stay awake" means, KEEP THE FAITH. Some believers just aren't interested in signs, and may not notice them, they may become discouraged for whatever reason. That's fine..... but.... don't give up your hope....STAY AWAKE!

Like the parable of the ten virgins matt 25:1-13 a dead faith is nothing, you need a present active faith, you need oil in your lamp.

michelle

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thank you Michelle, you have helped my understanding, and given me more food for thought.

• steve2
    steve2

As I get older, I believe less in the nearness of the end of the world and more in the nearness of my own end...it's called (1) a rational conclusion in the face of the world not ending and (2) mortality.

I recall a special Awake! magazine published in the mid-1950s. The big title on the cover screamed out: "Is it later than you think?" I can now confidently answer that stupidly simplistic question: "No, it's not".

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

If we are living in the "last days" the only role the Watchtower Publishing Corporation has in fulfillment of Bible prophecy is the part about there being false prophets.

• Hondo
    Hondo

steve2

Good points. Not only is our individual inevitable end a rational conclusion, but also a natural conclusion...it will happen! Maybe JW's should concentrate more on this certainty and less on the universal calamity they so desire. They have been waiting, and predicting, the all encompassing end now for over 120 years now. Even an old mutt knows when it's time to quit and try another approach; It's been that time for quite some time now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit