Is Organized Religion Something You'd Be Involved In Again?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• melmac
    melmac

Not in this lifetime. But in the next I surely will.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I do believe in God. I like to think he is a loving spirit though, and so I don't truly believe most of the Old Testament represents the God I believe in.

For a long time after leaving the JW's, I didn't pray or speak about God at all. Lately, I have found myself praying for people who I think I need help and asking Him to keep my kids safe, etc.

I've been toying with the idea of attending a local Christian chapel here. I've spoken to the pastor, and the church seems liberal and more in line with what I believe than any organized religion. I'd like my sons to learn about God and Jesus, and I'd like to feel that I can be forgiven for my sins in the present time. We'll see where it goes though.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'd never give my heart and soul to organized religion again.Never.

I might go to the church I was raised in, the Anglican/Episcopal church once and a while for the beauty of the building, the eucharist and perhaps one day to take communion which anyone baptised in any religion can do in the Episcopal church. They don't care if you're shacking up or gay or whatever. They feel that communion is for the imperfect, not the perfect. They don't care if you believe what they do or not. They're very tolerant.

I'd go once in a while. You can do that. They don't think they have some monopoly on truth or God's approval.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I do consider myself a very spiritual person, and believe strongly in I guess what you would call traditional Christian doctrine. I did float around for awhile, not really feeling comfortable at most churches, I was trying all the old established ones- Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist etc. It wasnt until I tried a non-demonimational "Worship Center" that was more on the Pentacostal side that I really felt I was where I needed to be. But thats just me.

When it comes to spirituality and religion, I dont think it makes sense to say that we have to worship or believe the same way. As humans we're all so different, we have different needs, desires... different things fulfill us or keep us awake at night. My personal belief is God made us that way.... We should feel comfortable in the spiritual skin He gave us. This world would be pretty dang boring if we all thought the same thing.... and come to think of it so would this board

• moanzy
    moanzy

I will never "become" part of another organized religion, although I do participate at a church in my area.

Raising my 3 little girls, I feel they can benefit from the community of believers in Christ. Also being that most of my family are still witnesses and do stop by about once a year, I do need to educate my kids about extreme religion. They need to understand what religion is all about so as to better understand people like their JW family.

I don't know how else to prepare them so that they are less likely to become involved in JW and other cult-like organizations.

Moanzy

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Religion is a SNARE & a RACKET!!! You can take that as a NO WAY JOSE for me.

Boozy

• freedom96
    freedom96

My wife and I have been attending a non-denominational church lately, and we have really enjoyed it. It has tons to offer, and doesn't even come close to anything like the WTS.

We have not become official members, but we just might. It is independent of other churches. But we will involve ourselves as we see fit, as apposed to someone telling us what we must do, or not do.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

When men grow large boobs and bear children, I may reconsider. Until then, no.

J

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Yes, very much so......

At my funeral

Any minister except JW will do.

• talesin
    talesin

Black Sheep

What a great post for your 666th!

tal

Share this