Is Organized Religion Something You'd Be Involved In Again?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Why not? I'm not going to let an upbringing in a cult predispose me towards a mechanical, unintellectual hate of organized religion. No, that's saved for the WTS.

• sunny
    sunny

This question is something I struggle with alot. I have a 6 year old daughter that , because we stopped going to meetings when she was 1 or so, has never had any organized religious training. I won't say spiritual training because we talk and share things of a spiritual nature all the time. She is full of questions. Do I miss going to all those meetings every week? NO! Do I feel spiritually unfed? NO! But the sense of community that I once embraced is lacking. I was not raised in the "truth" so my family and friends have not disappeared as some others have experienced and I enjoy meeting and making new friends...but once upon a time I had a supportive spiritual family. I realize being a JW came into my life when I was a vulnerable young new mom and wife and it filled a space. I know there were always things that I did not agree with and behaviors that I knew were wrong. It just took me and my husband 20 years to be able to let go of it. None of our 3 older daughters who were raised going to meetings have decided that it was for them either.

To answer your question... No,I will never be involved with an organized religion again.While I do believe in "god" I don't believe in the humanizing of said "god".There are too many questions that absolutely NO human can answer, and that's ok with me. What I try to be is the best human,wife,mom,friend,daughter,sister I can be.I've only got one chance at this I figure.

sunny

• lilbit
    lilbit

I dont think Ill ever be part of organized religion again. But I do Pray and I do plan on teaching my children about god. I feel like Sunny, Im just being the best person I can be and teaching my children the same.

• Purza
    Purza

No -- never again. I was discussing this with my boyfriend tonight at dinner -- that I am not even sure that jesus really existed. I think organized religlion has f*cked up things so bad throughout the years that nothing is really what it seems. And since I don't think we can ever really know, I think I will go it alone and find my own spirituality in my life experiences.

Purza

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'm working on sense stress & modulation this week so -

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!

• talesin
    talesin

Nope. I'm content without it.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i don't know.

it would be hard for me to embrace every detail of any particular organization.

yet i know we are to gather together. that where there are 2 or 3 there He is also. i have found that difficult to achieve apart from an organized group.

i tend to be a loner.....for many reasons. but how can i love my brother/sister if i never see them?

• alfie
    alfie

Not on your Nelly. I'm quite content to be an unorganized pagan.

CIAO4NIAO!!!

alfie

• new boy
    new boy

YES!

• new boy
    new boy

I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water. There is a GOD. Just not Jehovah the god of hate, love fear. How could we make God in our own image.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit