tonights memorial

by bonnzo 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

1 Corinthians 11:26, Looks like Christendom as it right, not the Witnesses. The Gospel is presented through the service of Communion ( bread and wine ) as the elements are explained, they point to his physical incarnation, sacrificial death, resurrection, and coming Kingdom.

So, Holy Communion is taken often at Mass until the Second Coming, which has not happened yet according to Christendom.

As to the Watchtower, they say he came in 1914, so why are they still having Mass, their Memorial?

Blueblades

• observador
    observador

Who said that things have to make sense? Humn? Humn?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I had been a JW for many years when this scripture hit me. I then asked an elder why are we still celebrating it then if Jesus has already come (even silently). He said that meant when Jesus came to cleanse the earth and that every eye would see him.

Okay, so I bought it.

Annie

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The speaker last night began reading from 1 Cor. chapter 11 but he came one verse short of verse 26. I was wondering how he would apply it. This year was the first time I thought about the meaning of this verse so will watch to see what they do next year (that is if I go).

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    a scripture was read during the talk i never thought of before, 1cor 11:26 which says:"for as often as you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the lord, until he arrives."

Considering that even the WTS admits that Paul, James, John and other apostles were expecting Armageddon in their lifetime, doesn't the whole primitive and ritualistic idea of a Last Supper seem a gross anachronism in the C21st?

They were expecting Christ to reappear within their own life span. He did not. They were wrong, but the whole Christian world gets landed with this ritual for 2,000 years. I have often said that most religions remind me of a man sitting in a Porsche with a Model T Ford handbook trying to make sense of it all.

HS

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    remind me of a man sitting in a Porsche with a Model T Ford handbook trying to make sense of it all.

LOL Aparently, they got the wrong Chiltons Manual then, eh? hahaha

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

moanzy wrote:

Witnesses still believe that Jesus will return when "every eye shall see him". In a sense that would make him have two returns. I don't get it either, but this is what my faithful mother told me

Hmm... Far as I know I was never taught that as a witness. I was taught he came with the clouds (as they would explain that meant out of site; blurred from vision) in 1914. They actually went to great lengths to show that the transfiguration actually proved that Jesus would come without everyone literally seeing him. I was not taught he would come again and all the eyes would literally see him. I always understood it that he came, he started ruling in heaven and he would eventually bring about Armageddon.

I don't see it that way now but that's how I remember it as a Witness.

Far as I'm concerned they have it all wrong, they say he'd already come and yet they still eat and drink. They say only the anointed should eat and drink and yet the Bible says if you don't eat and drink you have no life in you. And it always seemed to me they went to such lengths to get it right to apply the scriptures to the tee. Go figure! It's amazing how clear things become once you are no longer around to listen to their BS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit