Terri Schiavo petition on site

by missy04 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Can anyone tell me how this woman can be incapacitated and lying in a bed for fifteen years and not be in pain?

• doogie
    doogie

DL-

i hear what you're saying and i agree that those without a voice should not be trampled on. i disagree that terri is going to die a horrible painful death. i will have to trust that the doctors she is in the care of know more than you or me on that one and they seem to disagree with you.

as far as JW kids go, i think it would be terrible to hand the moral decision of whether or not to take blood over to the government. sure, in this case (blood transfusions), you and me agree that they are life saving but what happens when the government decides that no one should have them? they would then have legal precedent to step in and force people's kids to abstain from blood. i'd rather not live in that world, thank you very much.

The point is Terri did not have a living will with final arrangements, so we do not know the truth.
    i agree. so in this case we have nothing left to fall back on but legal rulings.
  • wednesday
    wednesday

Why should she have her feeding tube removed , she is not terminal. There are thousands of people in nursing homes just like her. Should we just go remove all of their feeding tubes b/c their life is a waste and all that? Terri is not on life support. A feeding tube is not life support.

Her custody needs to be returned to her parents They love her and want her to live. Her husband, who now is common law married to another woman and has 2 children by her, well he can go on with his life knowing Terri is safe with her parents. unless he has something to gain from her death.

weds

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink
    Why should she have her feeding tube removed?

Because it was HER WISHES according to her husband who was married to her, living with her, and knew her the best. And in this country we have the right to choose our fate. If it was me, I would also choose to go peacefully rather than be hooked up for years to come.

Everyone states that parents have the rights, best wishes, etc. I know FOR SURE that if I was in this situation my mother would rant and rave about how I was a JW and would state what she believes my wishes to be, but she would be wrong. Terry might be Catholic as her parents state, but her husband probably knew her better than they did at the time. I know my mother knows very little about my current life, however my husband knows everything about me.

• Berean
    Berean

I just re-did my living will and specifically mentioned the Terri Schiavo case. If qualified medical persons determine that my body is in the vegetative state that her body is in, my instructions are to cease keeping my body functions going. My personal conviction is that is the only humane thing to do for everyone concerned. If you do not agree, then you need to make a living will stating otherwise. To fail to make that decision now will lead to the conflict that Teri Schiavo?s survivors are faced with now.

There have been many harsh things said about Terri Schiavo?s husband, but if you look into the truth of things that he has done for her over the years; you will find that he has done extraordinary things thinking she would regain some functions. It was only after years of convincing by qualified medical personnel that he decided to cease life support. And no, I do not know him personally, there was a news report interviewing people that knew both sides of the family and the facilities where Terri Schiavo was housed.

Berean

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

let hr die with dignity

• Odrade
    Odrade

I am simply astounded that so many people have made up their minds that all the doctors are wrong about the "persistent vegetative state" based on 4.5 minutes of video captured over the period of 15 years. If there were more convincing evidence, there would be far more than 270 seconds of footage. In spite of the heart-rending images of her "interacting," I am compelled to believe all of the many involved experts who say that her behaviour is a known anomaly of her condition, and not evidence of higher brain functioning.

I am also influenced by the fact that she was provided several years of occupational and rehabilitative therapy. Several years. Several years, no progress. NO progress. Christopher Reeves was not only aware, but made progress. I think it is emotionalism when people with disabilities compare the decisions about Mrs Schiavo to decisions about their conditions. How can you compare? You have a functional limitation. She does not have a limitation, she has a total, complete and catastrophic lack of function and awareness--according to all the medical experts who have either not been paid by Mrs. Schiavo's parents, or who have seen more than the 270 seconds of selective video footage.

I think it's deplorable that the only option is to let her starve to death. I think it's far more deplorable that she is being forced to live. I think that "houseplant" is a regrettable choice of words, but it may, in fact, be a very close analogy.

• bisous
    bisous

I'm willing to sign a petition to let the woman die in peace. Can you direct me to a link for that???

Her custody needs to be returned to her parents They love her and want her to live.
    It is not about what her parents want. It is about what Terri Schiavo's stated intentions were. I do not believe that the 3 people she told all got together and conspired to misstate her wishes. She was an adult when she stated her desires and her parents no longer have control over her.
  • wednesday
    wednesday
    is not about what her parents want. It is about what Terri Schiavo's stated intentions were. I do not believe that the 3 people she told all got together and conspired to misstate her wishes. She was an adult when she stated her desires and her parents no longer have control over her.

we don't have that in writing and so how do we know for sure what Terri wanted? Something someone MAY have said in passing when they were very young? Not good enough. Just b/c her husband said so? that is not good enough for me-he got million dollars settlement and has been trying to yank her tube since then. He parents on the other hand, got on settlement, and just love and and only want her best. And since she is not attacked to any life support, is not terminal, in no apparent pain, in good condition per reports, why exactly is the need to rush in and yank a feeding tube? like I said, we then should go yank feeding tubes out of pld peple in nursing homes , many who are very similar to Teri.

• missy04
    missy04

bttt for those who are interested in signing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit