Terri Schiavo petition on site

by missy04 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

She doesn't seem to suffer and she is NOT in a coma, so I can't think of a reason to let her die.

She's a vegetable and will never improve, so I can't think of a reason to want to let the poor this continue you live---if you can even call it that.

• doogie
    doogie

this is exactly why i'm working on my living will right now.

I think saying you would want to die if in that state sometimes betrays an ignorance of the quality of life that people with severe disabilities can have.

honestly, aren't we all ignorant of that fact seeing as we personally are not currently facing these circumstances? it's a personal decision and we should make our's known before the situation even rears it's head.

• missy04
    missy04

Good thoughts Karly...I wish that those in charge of her life/death could think this way.

I am sure that facts were presented about what you just said...and I don't understand how it can be ignored.

• missy04
    missy04

Mary if that is what you think then it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

You might think differently if you knew the facts. If you're interested in the facts you might want to go to the site and read "Myths about Terri"

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Signing petitions won't help because the decision to remove her feeding tube was not based on public opinion. Politicians cannot demand the reinsertion of her tube either. Gov. Jeb Bush already tried to do that with Terri's bill and the courts found it unconstitutional.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

The thing is there are THOUSANDS of people every year that face this and their parent or legal guardian make the choices if they don't have a living will. It happens every single day. It reminds us to each have a living will and to communicate to our family members what we want.

I don't think anyone besides her legal guardian has the right to an opinion or a right to impose their own thoughts on the matter. It's a personal family matter. ALL THE COURTS AGREE. If her rights were being violated they would have made a different decision, but this is all legal.

Personally I would want my husband to make the same decision her husband is. I feel sick at the thought her parents have turned her into a spectacle on national television. It's a circus. That video footage is from 2001, and they are still playing that same 3 second bit. It's 2005. We have no idea what state she is in, but the COURT APPOINTED DOCTORS all said she is in a vegetative state that is permanent. We need to respect the right to choose, hers and her husbands.

• doogie
    doogie
    Signing petitions won't help because the decision to remove her feeding tube was not based on public opinion. Politicians cannot demand the reinsertion of her tube either. Gov. Jeb Bush already tried to do that with Terri's bill and the courts found it unconstitutional.

imagine the precedent it would set if the courts ruled to reinsert the tube based on a petition. in the future, if the next terri schiavo's next-of-kin wanted to keep her on life support, but a bunch of people disagreed and signed a petition to let her die...

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

As a person with a disability myself as well as someone who works with the disability rights movement I just want to say thank you to those of you who posted comments concerning the value of life and the slippery slope this type of situation starts down.

I respect people's right to disagree with me but the "better dead than disabled" attitude that some people have sometimes is quite frustrating.

Terri's situation is very complicated and I don't begin to know all the answers but as has been pointed out...while she is admittedly very low function, she recognizes family and friends, shows some emotions and is not in a great deal of pain, at least from the reports that I've seen. The complication of a fueding family and the lack of a living will makes this very hard.

She is not on life support other than a feeding tube...should she starve to death simply because her stroke no longer allows her to feed herself.

I'm not sure of the answer in Terri's case but I think the overall attitude that a less than normal life is somehow less of a life altogether and therefore easier to eliminate scares me. As someone said earlier...who next...the mentally ill, the elderly....Me ?

Again, thanks to those others who raised those points, I post them here all the time but coming from me, someone who is disabled and therefore biased, some people think it is just being overly sensitive or too militant.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    imagine the precedent it would set if the courts ruled to reinsert the tube based on a petition. in the future, if the next terri schiavo's next-of-kin wanted to keep her on life support, but a bunch of people disagreed and signed a petition to let her die...

Exactly!!! If I were in Terri Schiavo's position I wouldn't want a petition by a bunch of strangers determining my fate.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

But speaking of public opinion, every poll I've seen from CNN, to MSNBC, to our local newspaper here in Florida actually favor removing the tube and allowing her peace. Most opinions polls actually were against the government getting involved too.

Medicare (taxpayer money) and her husband's supplemental money $80,000 a year have supported keeping her alive for 15 years and she still hasn't spoken 1 word. Her cognitive brain function hasn't worked.

Let's keep in mind she had an eating disorder, she was starving herself and throwing up food to keep her weight down which caused her heart attack. Her body wasn't healthy when she had that heart attack. I have personally been affected by eating disorders and this case makes me want to warn more young girls that you can literally cause yourself life threatning harm or even death due to eating disorders. It's very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit