2034 - A Future History of Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Marked

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Room 215 - "Pseudo-sophist David Splane is currently trying on Freddie's mantle for size."

This guy?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Hi slimboyfat ,

I just re-read your OP ,and i thought it made a lot of sense putting yourself in the GB -JW shoes .It would be just another way of dangling the carrot in front of the donkey so to speak to make it go that much further .

1914 a core belief of JW`s then adding the "days of noah" 1914 + 120 years = 2034 makes a lot of sense to convince the rank and file and give the GB more breathing space to fleece the flock that much longer and keep them in luxury till they die .

I would assume then that many of the rank and file would then opt for claiming to be of the anointed class knowing their going to die before 2034 and thinking they have an each way bet .

I know the WT teaching doesn`t agree with that,however they don`t agree with the numbers of the anointed going up now do they ? AND YET THEY ARE .

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I wrote this thread 15 years ago, apparently. That’s 2/5s of my life ago.

• sir82
    sir82

I doubt they would ever explicitly state a date, but I'm sure they have been tempted to at least "hint" at one.

So far they've resisted the urge.

However, they have explicitly stated, and more than once, that the GT must come before the current crop of GBers die off. The only one under age 60 is Sanderson, but his obesity will shorten his life unless he starts taking significant action soon. The other guys are in their 60's & 70's with Herd in his mid-80's. So the implication is that the end "must come" within 15-20 years....so 2034-2039.

Hmmm...come to think of it, maybe they are "hinting" at a date after all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    However, they have explicitly stated, and more than once, that the GT must come before the current crop of GBers die off.

Really? I missed that. I thought the only restriction was the last anointed needs to overlap Fred Franz, who died in 1992. That could take us beyond 2050. And of course they will change even that, as and when required.

They began hinting 1975 in the 1940s but only stated it explicitly in 1966.

They gave the slightest hint about 2034 nearly two decades ago. Maybe they’ll return to it nearer the time, say in the mid 2020s.

• sir82
    sir82

It's been on a couple of their monthly broadcasts - or maybe one of their Gilead graduation talks or an annual meeting talk. Not in print.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember one rather geeky JW who was a friend of a friend who (along with his father) “proved conclusively” that Armageddon would come within the next 5 years. He had mathematical charts with equations and squiggles and diagrams and scriptures and everything. It was quite impressive.

That was 11 years ago.

• millie210
    millie210

Well I had to go back and read the original post (great job).

The point that struck me is they need another oracle.

Every great (and not so great) religion has to have one to rally and inspire people.

Right now the GB is all drones and no charisma.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

what struck me about this thread--is the amount of members back then who are no longer active on here. then--i wonder--are there more active members on here now than there were back then? dare i use the word growth ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit