2034 - A Future History of Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    slimboyfat - "They will make more and more grave statements about the end being near, but these won't do the trick either because they will contain nothing specific."

Spot-on.

Historically, apocalyptic groups have to occasionally date-set to keep member zeal momentum.

Problem with the WTS is that they've simply done it too often... it's long past its sell-by date to have any degree of credibility.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    slimboyfat - "...some new 'prophet' will need to come forward from among them! A replacement for Freddy is still awaited..."

Never gonna happen.

Freddy believed his own hype so much, he never bothered to leave ay kind of protege, and Jaracz used 9-11 to consolidate his power and purge all the moderates and liberals, so there's no creatives or out-of-the-box-thinkers left to give WT theology and eschatology the necessary rewrite.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

UNICORN18:

I remember all the talk of the “purge” and witch-hunt at bethel of the early 1980s and knew of some of the people involved.

I “faded” almost 20 years ago. In those years I was able to contact a couple of those people to find out what really went on there. I can understand your aunt and uncle not having the same zeal. After witnessing ruthless tactics I suppose anybody would be turned off!..I read Crisis of Conscience and it sounded like what happens in a communist country.

I hope you are doing well since you left.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Original post:

Back in the 1960s there was, seemingly, a brief period of relaxation in authoritarianism among Jehovah's Witnesses. Those who have read Raymond Franz's 'crisis of conscience' will have heard the story about Dan Sydlik's remark about the need to 'open some windows to let some air in here'.

There is a little mismatch of time periods here, I think. There was a time period in the years '77-'81 where there was more open discussion, quoting Barnes Notes, other Bible Translations, etc. Sydlik's quote would have been in that time period, not the '60's. Then the lockdown came with the events Ray Franz describes in his book in '81-'83. That is my recollection anyway.

There hasn't been any period of relaxation of authoritarianism since then. But on the other hand, most of the JWs anymore don't care much about doctrine or study. When they get together now, there is no discussion of Bible, doctrine, or anything like it used to be. It's more of a social club now.

• Room 215
    Room 215

slimboyfat - "...some new 'prophet' will need to come forward from among them! A replacement for Freddy is still awaited..."

Pseudo-sophist David Splane is currently trying on Freddie's mantle for size. He's the architect of the "Overlapping Genrations" fiasco and the 2013 demotion of all the anointed from being included as comprising the "Faithful and Discreet" slave....it's no longer a FDS "class" or a "John class" just the 8 teletubbies in Sterling Forest (Warwick). .

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

teletubbies---bwaaaa haaaa haaaa love that

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

One of my still very very in friends who hard shuns me now because we are faded- but she she's me as spiritually week...immediately started talking 2034 when she read the overlapping generation teaching...

• waton
    waton

listen carefully all,

David Splane has already spoken. Fredrick Franz (Friedrich der Grosse) is a junior member among the "anointed". he "served" from 1914 to 1992, only 78 years.

have an overlap of 78 years added to 1992 you get 2070. but there are older anointed. so with the generation ending with the onset of the G Ttribulation, not the end, the big A, that will be 2075.

another wt date disaster in the making, only 56 years away.

• Ding
    Ding

The problem the WT has is that -- because of the internet -- if they ever announce a new date, people will be altered to pin JWs down to it and to ask them what they'll do when it comes to nothing.

When that time comes, we need to be ready with a coordinated effort to make sure the GB doesn't wriggle off the hook with JWs like they have so many times before.

It will be a great time in which to document for JWs all of the WT's earlier false prophecies, waffling, and "new light."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

dropoff

Yes I checked Crisis of Conscience (page 109 in the 4th Edition) and you are correct the open the “window” comment is dated to 1976/77 by Raymond Franz. And it’s not specifically attributed to Sydlik. I don’t know if i misremember the Sydlik connection, or if it was attributed to him elsewhere. The implied comparison is with Catholics during Vatican II in the mid 1960s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit