Shots fired during UK rap concert

by Xena 57 Replies latest social current

• Bryan
    Bryan

I really don't think Xena was Brit Bashing. I haven't heard of any major crime in the UK either. I suppose we have so much of it here, there's no time for the media to report it.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Xena
    Xena
    I think media coverage has a lot to do with it - I mean back in the day when the Scots were raping and pillaging the Brits - there would have been dozens of instances of violent brutality every day - but only the immediate villages would hear about it.

I agree Crumpet. You know when the dubs used to blather on about how much worse it was nowdays, indicating the end was near, I used to feel the same way. I think we just hear about more instances. Of course weapons are more sophisticated nowdays enabling us to kill more people so in that aspect it is probably worse. FreeWilly, I looked up the International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland. http://www.minjust.nl:8080/b_organ/wodc/summaries/ob187sum.htm Interesting study...a few of their statistics (and I realize this is from one source and not conclusive) were interesting:

Overall victimisation
  • The ICVS allows an overall measure of victimisation which is the percentage of people victimised once or more in the previous year by any of the eleven crimes covered by the survey. This prevalence measure is a simple but robust indicator of overall proneness to crime. The countries fall into three bands.
    • Above 24% (victim of any crime in 1999): Australia, England and Wales, the Netherlands and Sweden
    • 20%-24%: Canada, Scotland, Denmark, Poland, Belgium, France, and USA
    • Under 20%: Finland, Catalonia (Spain), Switzerland, Portugal, Japan and Northern Ireland.
  • Contact crime

An overall measure of contact crime was taken as robbery, assaults with force, and sexual assaults (against women only). The highest risks were in Australia, England and Wales, Canada, Scotland and Finland: over 3% were victims. This was more than double the level in USA, Belgium, Catalonia, Portugal, and Japan (all under 2%). In Japan the risk of contact crime was especially low (0.4%).

Sexual incidents

• Women in Sweden, Finland, Australia and England and Wales were most at risk of sexual assault. Women in Japan, Northern Ireland, Poland and Portugal were least at risk. Many of the differences in sexual assault risks across country were small. Generally, the relative level of sexual assault in different countries accorded with relative levels of offensive sexual behaviour - though there were a few differences.
  • Anxiety about burglary

• On average, nearly a third of people felt they were likely or very likely to be burgled in the coming year. Those in Portugal (58%), Belgium, and France (about 45%) were most pessimistic. There was least concern in the Scandinavian countries, the USA, and the Netherlands (under 20% thought a burglary was likely).
  • Safety on the streets

• When asked how safe they feel walking alone in their area after dark, on average just under a quarter felt very or a bit unsafe. Those in Catalonia, Australia and Poland were most anxious (about a third felt a bit or very unsafe). Next highest levels were in Portugal and England and Wales. Feelings of vulnerability were lowest in the USA and Sweden, although there were several other countries with only marginally higher figures.
  • Brummie (sigh, I'm stuck on bold type now...anyway..), Nothing like a culture of blame shifting. Just another way to cancel out personal accountability if you ask me. Abaddon,
    Well, either you assumed wrong (try http://www.nationmaster.com ) or you are Brit bashing, using a rather pathetic flamebait
    Oh I admitted it was a wrong assumption....did ya miss that??? As for me being uninformed...quite possible. To be honest as I stated before I tend to focus on my "sphere" where my daughter and I live. If I decide to travel somewhere I usually do some research on the area to get an idea of what to look out for, course that can be misleading as I was told there was no crime in the Caymen Islands and my hotel was robbed at gunpoint while I was there. That kind of established for me the idea that no place is free from crime...not there...not here...not in the UK. As for this being pathetic, perhaps so...but personally I find it more pathetic to spend your time pointing fingers at others instead of seeing to your own back yard. And just for the record at this point in time I'm not real concerned with being murdered...well not anymore concerned about that than I am about my plane being taken out by terrorists next time I fly anyway. I don't live in a high crime area and am careful of my and my daughters safety. PS I don't recall blaming anyone for anything...speaking as an American.

Oh no, Xena is being anti-brittish ... boo hoo, it's not fair, bwaah, bwaahh

Wait a minute ... no, you don't get us doing that do you? Maybe we are a little more confident in ourselves so we can say "hey, our country and country-men aint perfect ... ".

Really, it's no big deal to do that. It's simple. I can't understand why YOU find it so difficult Xena.

Simon, simon, simon, I see nothing anti-british here...is someone a bit on the sensitive side perhaps??? You know if you can't stay on topic you really shouldn't be posting to the thread. Soooooo....Do we have something constructive to add?? Thought not.

A armed society is a polite society. England dis-armed all its polite folks so now they are living the old saying ... "when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".

~Hill

I don't know hillbilly...I don't see where having more access to guns has helped us all that much. Personally I feel it's a bit to easy to obtain a gun here in the US. There aren't any easy answers unfortunately. lol believing in God's kingdom to solve all this for us was a lot less stressful in some ways.
    I really don't think Xena was Brit Bashing. I haven't heard of any major crime in the UK either. I suppose we have so much of it here, there's no time for the media to report it.

Bryan

Thank you Bryan. It did make me wonder...we don't see much about Britian even from the British posters...and we don't see much in the papers so I decided to do a bit of research on my own. Apparently there isn't anything new under the sun when it comes to crime no matter where you live.
  • Preston
    Preston
    Do you think that Hercule Poirot, Inspector Morse, The Bill, Miss Marple, Cracker, Wire in the Blood (am assuming some might have been imported to the States tv stations) are all fiction?

That's not fair.......Hercule Poirot is Belgian, only someone from Belgium would have that cheesy moustache. And despite all the violence here we still employ Andy Griffith a.k.a. Matlock and Jessica Flectcher to work out the kinks....

- Preston

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Brummie (sigh, I'm stuck on bold type now...anyway..), Nothing like a culture of blame shifting. Just another way to cancel out personal accountability if you ask me.

Nooo, you dont understand, it realy "IS" the immigrants fault. Brummie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Ignored one - maybe its just me that gets offered smack! hehe! However there was a documentary by that irish cowardy chappy called Donald McIntyre and he got offered drugs too and had his phone nicked. It might depend what time you are there - I've never been in daylight. Last time I was there was to see Faithless...brilliant!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I can't believe none of our Scottish buddies are taking me to task on my earlier provocative twist on british history - what are a peaceful bunch we are really!

• Simon
    Simon
    I see nothing anti-british here...is someone a bit on the sensitive side perhaps??? You know if you can't stay on topic you really shouldn't be posting to the thread. Soooooo....Do we have something constructive to add??

Jesus wept ... it's true, Americans don't have sarcasm !

• Xena
    Xena
    Jesus wept ... it's true, Americans don't have sarcasm !

Fortunately I know enough Brits not to make sweeping generalizations....ergo I'm pretty sure you are the only Brit here who has no sense of humor.

Oh and still nothing to add to the topic at hand I see....suprise suprise

lol crumpet I believe our most outspoken scot is on a "break" at the moment...otherwise there might have been bloodshed.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I think Americans have plenty of sarcasim. I think Xena drips with it.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone,

homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not! and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.
    Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before i t's too late!

~Hill

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit