Shots fired during UK rap concert

by Xena 57 Replies latest social current

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think media coverage has a lot to do with it - I mean back in the day when the Scots were raping and pillaging the Brits - there would have been dozens of instances of violent brutality every day - but only the immediate villages would hear about it.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Unfortunately Britian's crime rate is higher than the U.S. in every category except rape and murder (although these are at all time highs and climbing). Since the handgun ban in 1997, violent crime has increased by at least 66%. Some say it's because the government has practically outlawed self defense, charging people even if they are defending thier home. One statistic I found alarming is that over HALF of all burgleries are committed with the person at home!

I'm no fan of weapons, but the ability of a citizen to defend their family and home is a fundemental right and deters crime . Police interviews have repeatedly shown criminals in the US fear two things when confronting a victim (in this order) 1) they may be shot or killed by the victim. 2) they may go to jail. Perhaps this is why you are half as likely to be a victim of violent crime in the US than in the UK.

The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations.

The US didn't even make the top 10.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yes the motherland is being spoiled, naturally the reason for these crimes is because of these immigrants who are bring their aggressive culture to Britian.

(this was a party political broadcast on behalf of the biased and blame everyone else class)

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    There is loads of violent crime here - Brixton Academy where the shots were fired is in Brixton - there were the Brixton riots there a few years back. You will be offered class A drugs within minutes of getting off the train in Brixton and with drugs rife so is crime and prostitution.

Funny. Normally when I get off at Brixton i'm usually offered travelcards or tickets for that evening's show at the Academy.

Now Kings X station.

-

Ignored One.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    (this was a party political broadcast on behalf of the biased and blame everyone else class)

Brummie,

I loves ya.

J

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    I find myself with a sudden interest in violent crime in the UK...for some reason I was under that assumption there was none there

Well, either you assumed wrong (try http://www.nationmaster.com ) or you are Brit bashing, using a rather pathetic flamebait...

I mean, a flamebait that makes YOU look ill-informed. Ngh!!

Violent crime is increasing in the UK; no one has said otherwise.

However, as with most European countries, the chances of being murdered are less than 1/4th what they are the the USA (and FAR less chance of being murdered with a gun, although dead is dead), so whatever point it is you think you are making is not the one you actually are.

So whilst violent crime is 7.7/1,000 in the USA and 7.5/1,000 in the UK, we, as with other Europeans, kill each other less often. Violent crime in the USA normally involves firearms and displays a willingless to use them, whereas in Europe violent crime is normally fists or knives at worst, and even then they're unlikely to kill you. An interesting cultural divide. Anyone want to speculate why?

Oh, we do have FOUR times the rate of fraud, TWICE the number of burglaries per capita, and 42% more car thefts per capita... if it makes you happy...

Although some of the differences in these figures (especially fraud) might be down to differences in reporting, quite frankly I wouldn't swap high fraud, burglary and car theft figures for the US's murder rate, and I don't think anyone sane would.

It's also fair to note that just as Smallville USA doesn't tend to have the same problems as urban areas with severe social disadvantage, so to in the UK most violent crime happens in urban areas with similar problems.

Rather than scoring points on us having a rising rate of violent crime I would indeed "focus on my own sphere of activity" and wonder why, simply by being American, I am 400% more likely to be murdered.

That is one thing American's can't blame the rest of the world for.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Makes me glad I live in Canada. Nothing like that happens here. You know we just spent over $1 billion on a federal gun registry program! Our gun control laws are great, except for the smuggling in from the US.

If you believe that, I have a brdige to sell you...

• Brummie
    Brummie

Jeanie

• Simon
    Simon

Oh no, Xena is being anti-brittish ... boo hoo, it's not fair, bwaah, bwaahh

Wait a minute ... no, you don't get us doing that do you? Maybe we are a little more confident in ourselves so we can say "hey, our country and country-men aint perfect ... ".

Really, it's no big deal to do that. It's simple. I can't understand why YOU find it so difficult Xena.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

A armed society is a polite society. England dis-armed all its polite folks so now they are living the old saying ... "when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit