Ten killed in US school shooting

by Simon 82 Replies latest social current

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

It this great land of ours founded on wholesome Christian traditions like religious freedom and slavery , we keep own bibles in one hand and our shotguns in the other.

Either one can blow you away, and we don't hesitate to use 'em.

tS

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I believe that there is much more to this than just thinking that gun control is the answer. Look at this kid...dad committed suicide, mother's hospitalization due to car accident, living in a poverty stricken area , being a social outcast w/beliefs leaning toward idolizing Hitler and believing that there needed to be a cleansing of the tribe, and who's to say if there was any alcohol or drug abuse involved. Whether or not he had access to a gun, this kid was a recipe for disaster.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    How do you explain Canada, where the gun ownership is higher per capitia then here in the States?

Really ! ?

My bad. I jumped before I looked. I don't have any numbers at my finger tips but I doubt that it's higher then in the U.S. But I'd say it's much higher then Japan or the U.K. while still having the same low murder by gun rate.

However, I'm willing to bet that in British Columbia the ownership of guns is higher then in most parts of the U.S., however, I haven't read of any high school shootings in that part of the world.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    movies, videogames, books and guns are not the culprit. the guilty party is an unstable little boy and the family that let him down.

Then how do you explain the fact that here in the U.S. we have a murder rate on par with countries like Columbia, instead of places like the U.K or the Netherlands? I've never heard or read about some teenager going on a shooting rampage in in western europe. The last one I heard about was a few years back in Scotland where some adult male went beszerk and killed some little kids at a kindergarden class.

In the past year I can list several shoots where multiple people were shot and killed.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Mixed feelings about this.

Very sad for the loss of life. Glad the evil kid did us taxpayers the big favor of killing himself in the rampage. Always glad when the wrong doer puts him/herself away for good.

DY

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I was doing dishes thinking about this event and the topic of gun control. As long as their are guns in our country they will find their way into the hands of people that want them. Were there's a will there's a way. This kid got one of his grandfather's police issued pistols (where the other guns came from I haven't heard). I appreciate my right to bare arms-and I excercise my right. I am all for strick guidelines for obtaining guns, but I am no fool. I know that they make their way into hands of those that shouldn't have them. They always will.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well stoires like this make me want to hold on to my babies even more. As a parent I am scared for my kids go to school, ride a bus, or even go anywhere by themselves. However, I don't want my kids to live in fear.

All I know is that I am going to try and be the best Mom there is. I want them to come to me no matter what. I think kids are afraid to go to their parents for advice or their parents are never there for them. I tell my husband I don't care if my kid is 40 he or she can always come to me at anytime no matter what no questions asked. My main thing to teach my children is to love and not hate. Hate is just as strong of a word as Love is.

This is just such a heart breaking story. My heart goes out to all the families.

Brooke

• glitter
    glitter

Glitter, there's plenty of people being killed WITHOUT the use of guns, should we ban knives, how about our 'fists' which have killed people, should we cut them off? Killing is killing no matter what we use! What are knives and hands there for? What are *guns* designed to do? (And don't give me that "guns are designed to fire a bullet, that's all" crap).

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

to my memory there have only been two serious gun related sprees like this in the last 20 years in the UK and both have led to serious restriction of the right to keep arms.

The first in Hungerford led to a total ban on the ownership of assault rifles after a mentally ill guy went amok with a legally owned AK47 and the second was the Dunblane massacre where an alleged child molestor took a pair of automatic pistols into a kindergarten and butchered several children and teachers. It's now illegal to own a hand gun in the UK and whilst we still have gun related crime within the criminal elements of society, we don't have pissed off teenagers being able to massacre their classes at school because they cannot get hold of guns.

If you have easy access to firearms in a violent culture where you are continually taught that violence is the answer (John Wayne films, illegal wars etc) then what do you expect?

• Preston
    Preston

Like roybatty said I don't think the problem is guns, I think we have a stong culture of violence in this country. I think entertainment is just the tip of the iceberg, it seems most of our major most influential instituions have no problem promoting violence and killing as a way to solve problems. I do watch some violent movies with some pretty gruesome imagery, but I think the movies that I watch put those instances of violence within a theme of the fragility of life. I would never let a child see a movie like "SAW", but I would also never let them watch news shows like FOX where they have shown clips of people being dismembered. Even on the radio this morning, on a classic oldies station that I listen to, they were playing the Terri Schiavo case like it was a play-by-play game. Our world governments use war, our justice system uses the deah penalty, our department of defense uses weapons, our commercial instituions unethically treat animals, our sports hurt people. Just observe the number of people who think its funny to see and animal or a person get killed in a cartoon.

- Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit