Ten killed in US school shooting

by Simon 82 Replies latest social current

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I think the guns help. I mean, just standing there shouting ?BANG!?. That?s not going to kill too many people, is it?" - Eddie Izzard

I think that our police have it off to a T. They rarely use guns, they just shout "stop"! Then if the criminal doesn't stop, they shout "stop"! a second time. That really scares 'em.

Englishman.

• Golf
    Golf

Glitter, there's plenty of people being killed WITHOUT the use of guns, should we ban knives, how about our 'fists' which have killed people, should we cut them off? Killing is killing no matter what we use!

Golf

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Glitter, there's plenty of people being killed WITHOUT the use of guns, should we ban knives, how about our 'fists' which have killed people, should we cut them off? Killing is killing no matter what we use!

But one cannot deny that the murders per capitia of western european countries, where there is much tighter gun control, is much lower then here in the States. Again, I don't know if it's the tighter gun control or the social fabricate in those countries is differnt then here in the States? Would a troubled young man, like this individual, have had a better chance of getting the help he needed in a European country as compared to here? Could this shooting been avoided with better intervention? I noticed in the news preports that the police we contacted way back when he made his initial threats, was any other forms of help offered? What about when his father commited suicide?

• minimus
    minimus

must be President Bush's fault.

• Xena
    Xena

I think blaming guns for this is kind of short sighted. Granted access to guns helped make it possible but the bottom line is social. How kids are being raised...what they are being exposed to....loss of consequesnces for actions. Society is churing out monsters.

The only answer I have is to raise my child to respect herself and others. Ultimately what else can you do?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I don't understand at all nor will I ever.

Brooke

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I think we are all guessing at this point; not enough is known...

Very sad...

J

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    How do you explain Canada, where the gun ownership is higher per capitia then here in the States?

Really ! ?

• doogie
    doogie
    I think blaming guns for this is kind of short sighted.

yeah...and you can add blaming movies, videogames, books, even parents. it's all of these things. but to completely single out any ONE of them is missing the point completely.

movies, videogames, books and guns are not the culprit. the guilty party is an unstable little boy and the family that let him down.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I think the "teasing" is a real issue. It's harassment and it really hurts and angers people. These people (both the harassers and victims) are immature and at a tough time in life in general. They are put in a situation, school, where their whole world can seem ruined and forever they will be a freak. This is SOOOO common and now a very few are losing it.

Do ALL of us cheer at the end of a movie when the "hero" kicks the living sh*t out of the bad guy?

I'll bet if we saw a documentary of SOME of the lives of these kids we would be surprised that it doesn't happen more. And I don't mean to say that those who are acting out their own immaturity and teasing others deserve to be shot, because I don't think that.

I'm glad we have a zero tolerence policy at the schools my kids attend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit