"Federal contracts should be performed by WHITE workers"

by jst2laws 33 Replies latest social current

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Robert,

People who argue for the stagnation of protectionism are saying that their grandfather worked for the buggy whip factory, their father did, they did and they hope that their grandchildren will. This is crazy. There are jobs and whole industries that should disappear and never come back.

I do think that environmental, child labor, food and drug laws should be repealed.

HUH! Now, I need some explanation to go along with that!

Jst2laws

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

jst2laws:

I am a radical.

My thinking about environmental, child labor, food and drug laws are rooted in the idea that each person owns himself and should be able to enter contracts to sell his labor or buy goods and services from whomever he wishes and that the only function of government is to protect citizens from force or fraud.

I realize this is an extreme minority opinion, but so was Abolition in the early 1800's

I will do everything I can to encourage individual liberty and I realize that Capitalist Utopia is not an option. I would like to score a touchdown but moving the ball in the right direction is good enough.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Ok Robert,

My thinking about environmental, child labor, food and drug laws are rooted in the idea that each person owns himself and should be able to enter contracts to sell his labor or buy goods and services from whomever he wishes and that the only function of government is to protect citizens from force or fraud.

I agree with most of this. I should even be angry about govt regs. My son finished high school at 16, and started college at 17. However he, although a volunteer fireman, cannot go on live runs until he is 18. Although he has finished real estate school, he cannot become a realtor until he is 18. Your view of hands off might benefit him.

But something must be put in place to avoid the child abuse in the work force typical of the 1800's. And unfortunately, we cannot leave this to parents in general as some parents suck. What do you have in mind to protect minors without needlessly restricting their freedom?

Jst2laws

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

jst2laws:

You are right about some parents not making the best decisions for their children. When I was a Witness I would have let a child of mine die before getting a blood transfusion. I am filled with horror and disgust at that idea now. Even so, I would still not be in favor of the state forcing blood on a child over the parents objection.

The bottom line is you can't forsee every issue and you cannot prevent every accident. That is why child labor laws were enacted. No child ever working should mean that no child will ever be abused in the workplace.

Child labor laws would be one of the last government regulations to fall in a hypothetical Capitalist Utopia. I am in favor of repeal but do not expect it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit