Is obesity a disability?

by Sadie5 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Hi all, Just dropping by and throwing out a question or two.

Two of our department managers are both very obese and therefore cannot do all the tasks that their positions require of them. As a result of that, the peak time workers, those working while the store is most busiest, end of doing a lot of the physical work they leave for us. It gets pretty hectic when people are trying to shop and we are getting out ladders and stocking shelves. This really needs to be done on the department manager's shift when the store isn't so busy. We've spoken to management about this and have been told that these two women aren't able so we have to "pick up the slack" for them. Is this really fair? I'm overweight myself and attempting to lose some weight. These gals buy potato chips and candy bars every day and act offended if you mention weight loss to them. Should their obesity be treated like a disability?

On the other hand we have a sales clerk that has learning problems. She is dyslexic and takes awhile to "get things". She can do all the physical work that is required as a department manager but would need help with some of the ordering processes and other mental tasks. She would be able to do it after awhile, she would just need help in the beginning. Management won't consider her for any advanced positions because of her learning problems. In fact they often find it humorous when she applies for positions.

any thoughts?

Sadie

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I would be ticked off if I were you, I don't think it's fair for you to have to pickup the slack. But I do understand that there all laws protecting people with disabilities. In today's society obesity is considered a disability. I would try to speak to your HR department and see what their position is on your situation, maybe a compromise of sorts could be worked out, like you helping out more with the physical stuff and the overweight ladies can help you with other tasks, in hopes of balancing out the duties a little more.

Good Luck! Dragonlady76

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    These gals buy potato chips and candy bars every day and act offended if you mention weight loss to them. Should their obesity be treated like a disability?

IMO, no special consideration should be given to the ladies whatsoever. It's their choice to work there.

What you say about the learning impaired gal is sad.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    "pick up the slack"

I have ZERO tolerance for fat people who inflict their "dissability" onto others.

I do feel sympathecti to people who are dyslexic and have trouble with written information.

I used to weight in at about 275, I'm down to 225-230. Being a fat toad was no longer acceptable to me, so I made the choice to change. When I graduated HS, I was the same height, but weighted only 155. At 6'1", that is a bit too thin, but what ever. Alas, my 28" waiste will never return.

I'm still chunky here&there, and still am working toward my goal physical build, but at this point I am content with who I am, and do not care what body image is for sale to me.

I am also dylexic, dysgraphic, and severly ADHD. I look at these "dissabilities" as assets, as they help one to think and live outside the box.

If people who are very large, truly enjoy that life, then good for them; but they need to know that they made that fat bed and they can slumber in it without rolling onto me.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) "Obesity" is not considered a disability...however if there is a medical condition that is causing the weight problem that might be covered.

re; the employee with a learning disability....they are clearly protected under the law and if they are being denied promotion opportunites because of their disability they should seek legal advise. Management should be ashamed if they are acting this way and even, as you said, making a joke out of her desire to be promoted.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    Management won't consider her for any advanced positions because of her learning problems. In fact they often find it humorous when she applies for positions.

This is why I can't stand most "management" in the corporate world. They think they are so smart, and that us stupid (dyslexic) people are SO funny.

OK, I just noticed something, I think I am in the middle of a "Bipolar" moment, so I'm going to shut up for the rest of the day.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, then there are the lazy, skinny people...I wonder what excuse they use

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Weed?

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Of course, then there are the lazy, skinny people...I wonder what excuse they use

LMAO

Okay, the question might be, are your overweight co-workers really too heavy to perform the tasks they should perform, or are they hiding behind being overweight so that they can take it easier than anyone else? It is possible that overweight people have a harder time getting around than slim people. But then, one of the guys I work with is so much heavier than anyone else I know, and he moves just as fast as all of us. And believe me, we have to move FAST at work.

However, I wonder if it really matters. At one of my jobs, I constantly pick up the slack of my lazy co-workers. Some go outside every 20 minnutes for a cigarette break, while there is a lot of work to be done. By the end of the night they get either bored or tired and they kind of 'hang out' while I finish everything up. I've told myself that I can either fret about this, or just let it go. The way I see it, I am only at work a few hours a day. I get paid to do my job, and I don't worry about what everyone else does. The thing is, you probably can't do anything about this situation, other than bringing it to management's attention. So I'd say don't fret about it.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Gluttony is a sin and most obesity is a result of gluttony. The solution to obesity is the practice of self-control (push-aways, etc.). Most seriously obese people I’ve known have been very defensive with “metabolism” being most often cited as the reason for their condition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit