Is obesity a disability?

by Sadie5 34 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I do believe that when we allow ourselves to get large, that it does change our chemistry. Metabolism. Neurotransmitters. But I do believe that we can over ride these with some concerted effort. I see myself as proof of that. No, I', not a 160lb kid anymore who can pack away a tub of icecream and go mountain biking like nothing just happened. But I also don't have to have another plate or three or four and lay around with indigestion like Jabba The Hut.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I have known several people who are gluttons that carried only about 10 pounds extra weight. But watch out if they came to your house for dinner. I saw one once load up 5 pork chops on his plate. Considering that there were only about 2 per person....

Are you considered a glutton on if your problem makes you overweight? Do you have a gambling problem just because you have a great deal of money and can lose 2 million dollars every day? Do you only have a gambling problem if you end up deep in debt?

What would you categorize people who are bulimics or anexoric-bulimics? Scully, what do you know from your medical background?

I don't think this is such a black and white question and this "labeling" and "judging" people reminds me too much of my days in the WTS.

Think of this, if a person smokes 2 packs a day for 30 years and ends up with emphysema, is that a disability? Actually, I don't know; I'm wondering.

Blondie

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

If I offended anybody, I truly apologize for that. I think I am coming accross as more a$$holey than I am feeling. Or I am behaving more A$$holey than I usually do.

I respect you Blonde, and to answer your questions, I agree with you that it is not black or white. Back to me as a teenager, I was very thin, but I would be inclined to say that Iwas, if not a glutton, at least a "something" with a developing food disorder. So, no, not all gluttons are fat; and not all large people are gluttons.

Interesting with comparing this to the labeling that we did as JWs. "Meditate on this I will, mmmh."

As for the person who smoked for 30 years and has emphysema. Sure, from a medical, technical standpoint, that is a dissability. But from a big picture point, I think they deserve what they ended up with. Nobody made them smoke, and they were warned about the consequences.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    These gals buy potato chips and candy bars every day and act offended if you mention weight loss to them.

Why shouldn't they be offended when someone mentions weight loss to them? Do you have any idea how often overweight people have to listen to people butt their noses where they have no business? Usually several times a day. It never ends.

If you have issues with their work then discuss their work with them, not their weight! Performance in the workplace may be your business, but someone's weight IS NOT!

I've been overweight for the last 20 years due to health issues, but I still work hard and accomplish more than anyone in my department. That doesn't prevent people from coming and flapping their stupid goddamned mouths about my weight. Stupidly, these people assume that I owe them some explanation about my medical history. I don't.

Over time, I've found that the people who talk the most about obesity usually know the least about it. They are often people with no medical training. When I want to discuss my weight problem I go to a competent medical professional who will reserve judgement until a thorough examination is performed.

Personally, I find one big mouth far more offensive than a thousand big stomachs.

Walter

• talesin
    talesin

blondie

Heaven help the person whose issues are manifested by their size.

Thin = healthy

Why? Why? Why?

"I'm sick, but I'm pretty, bay-beeee!"

Why is it that no one gets that line? It's about anorexia/bulimia.

Hello! Yep, that's it.

Cause when you're starvin', you are considered lookin' good!

Not that I have any issues with eating disorders. hehe

t

• talesin
    talesin

Iiz, just saw this,

Personally, I find one big mouth far more offensive than a thousand big stomachs.

• dh
    dh

I think some people are obese because of their genes. Even if they starve themselves they will be big. They don't live to ripe old ages and it runs in some peoples families. This I think is a tragic illness.

On the other hand people who are just fat and lazy because they eat shit food and don't take care of themselves... I think they deserve to die. (No that is not a hateful comment, it's a fact, like smoking kills). These people in my eyes are lucky if they just fall down and break their hips or fat ankles. I think they are a waste of health funds that could be used to save dying children.

So yeah, in some cases I think obesity is something a person has no control over. In other cases the people bring it on themselves and deserve whatever they get. For these people I think there should be a compulsary boot camp they get sent to to force them to learn self control.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Management won't consider her for any advanced positions because of her learning problems. In fact they often find it humorous when she applies for positions.

If I were you, I'd call the ADA...........the American Disabilities Association........this could be construed as rampant discrimination, which is against the law. It would be nice if you have proof of it, to get those bozos fired.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

DARK UNCLE: JABBA SAYS TO KISS HIS LARGE ASS!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    I don't think this is such a black and white question and this "labeling" and "judging" people reminds me too much of my days in the WTS.

I agree, Blondie. I am trying not to be angry with DarkUncle's comments, as I used to feel that young and full of vim and vigor myself, at age 31. However, sometimes, it takes age to make us realize that things aren't always as cut and dried. There are books out that have revealed that the US FDA allows all kinds of additives in our foods that don't appear on the labels. Some of these additives promote weight gain and chemical dependence on more of the foods that contain them. I found THAT quite interesting, considering that the USA has a rampant weight problem, even amongst young kids.

Terri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit