Is obesity a disability?

by Sadie5 34 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, Flyin'

Pwned

True for many, especially the fat in the diet. It's a main factor. Also of note, trans fat has been added to most processed foods for decades. Many nutritional experts feel it is one of the biggest causes of obesity on our side of the pond. No flames from this poster. ;)

Is the medical model the only one we need look at, or would a broad-minded outlook suggest that we consider anecdotal evidence to be valid as well? I vote for the latter ...

Think about this ...

How much preservatives and antibiotics did you ingest yesterday in your food?

Don't you think that all those chemicals are doing something to our bodies? *shudder*

And just to add to the mix, my personal experience,

After I was diagnosed with a disease that causes my stomach to have trouble absorbing nutrients, I had to delete most foods from my diet.

I'm not on a 'diet' - I just can't eat grains, and a lot of processed foods, but it's all good - I can eat all the fruits & veggies, nuts, dairy, meats, stuff like that.

BUT, I have dropped almost all my extra pounds, after many years of being o/weight but yet very strong, and a light eater ...

The whole problem was this damn dis-ease .... and I thought it was all my fault. My stomach was just not processing the food correctly ... slowly starving me of nutrients, and absorbing only empty calories.

There is a lot more to this issue than meets the eye (no pun intended).

t

• wednesday
    wednesday

Here is my experience with obesity/weight issues. When I was in 20-early 40's I was ideal size. I never gave much thought to what I ate, I just ate when I wanted to and occ would gain a few pounds. I would go on a 3 day fast and poof the pounds melted off. That easy. Then I had an accident that limited my mobility. Poof-gained 20 pounds overnight almost- without eating more. Then I had "female troubles "and had a hysto and put on another 10 pounds without any changes in my diet . Also, I had to take estrogen(and still do b/c I was a total biotch and no one could live with me without me taking estrogen) Then my thyroid went out. Few more pounds climbed on. Then depression, the medication itself causes weight gain in most people. It did for me-but better to be fat then a wild hellion. Then my own metabolism slowed down-everyones does as u get older-and while not eating one bite more, I gained weight. Then I developed syndrome X, and now have diabetes, more or less. So here I am, about 50, and overweight.I have high blood pressure, diabetes and high lipid panel. I am on meds for all of this, and my numbers are all coming down nicely. I have changed my diet and can't eat most "white" food, ie bread, rice, pasta nor can i eat corn potatoes, and of course no outright sugar. U would think I would lose weight, but no, once your metabolism becomes insulin resistant, it becomes extremely difficult to lose weight. U can starve and not lose .

I remember back in my 20's when I had a knock your eyes out figure 37-24-37 I turned a lot of heads and was not shy about showing it off.. I flaunted it and felt so superior to the matronly JW women. I had a sister tell me once" You'd better enjoy it now b/c u will get yours" And man was she Right. Now when i see an overweight person, I think, I know they are miserable. and people do feel they have a right to make any stupid comment they want to about your weight.

I have not given up, i am changing my diet, to include fish and eliminate grain products. More vegs and fruit. But b/c i am limited as to exercise, the pounds do not want to budge. Currently I am trying that new "hoodia" appetite suppressant and it does work. So we shall see what happens. There has got to be a way to beat this weight problem. It is just very complicated when u become insulin resistant.

now when i see an overweight /obese person i want to extend my hand and say, bro/sis I understand. weds

• talesin
    talesin

Weds

Specific Carbohydrate Diet - sound familiar? I can't believe it ...

(but how can u afford it? eeek!)

"sis, I understand"

t

• wednesday
    wednesday
    Specific Carbohydrate Diet - sound familiar?

I hadn't heard it called that, but is that what i'm doing? It is more expensive than eatng casseroles, but I have no choice now, I do not want to die from complications of diabetes, heart disease. I want to live to see my grandchildrne grow up.

weds

t

• target
    target

Wednesday

I, too, am in my 50s and diabetic. I was skinny in the early days and could eat anything. Never had any weight gain until pregnancy. It kind of worked its way up from there. Anyhow, have you read about the Leptin diet? It is not just about insulin resistance. That research is a real eye opener.The book is Mastering Leptin by Byron J. Richards and the website is www.wellnessresources.com.

Leptin is a powerful hormone produced in fat cells that communicates to the brain and controls ALL other hormones.

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit