Living Church of God & the Watchtower

by JAVA 36 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

I?m sure most of you have seen some coverage about the murder/suicide by a member of the evangelical church called the Living Church of God. The church was founded in the mid-1990?s when it split from Herbert W. Armstrong?s Worldwide Church of God. The Living Church observes the Sabbath on Saturday along with other Old Testament rituals. It rejects the Trinity, and counsels members to remain separate from the secular world, by not participating in juries, politics or the military. The church?s pre-millennial view asserts that we are moving toward the ?end times,? and the church warned members to pay off credit-card debts and hoard savings in preparation for the coming financial collapse. Terry Ratzmann, a member for 5 years killed 7 members during last Saturday?s service before taking his own life. Survivors said he became upset during a service two weeks ago, and stormed out of the church. I often wonder about some of the fringe JWs that might be disappointed with the Tower?s end-time carrot. It?s a wonder this hasn?t happened at one of the Kingdom Halls.

• integ
    integ

Interesting. I've wondered about that myself. It's probably only a matter of time before somebody flips out at a kingdom hall.

Integ.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I've often wondered the same thing.

The JWs attract persons of fringe mentality. They pressure them in many ways. They shun and ostrasize members. They claim to be God's only chosen people and await the end of the world - a recipe in itself for mental instability.

With 6 million members and all these contributing factors it seems reasonable that it will eventually happen to them. On the other hand, maybe it already has happened. Remember Mark Barton, the Atlanta day trader who killed 14 people and left behind a note filled with Jehovah-speak, or the JW in Oregon who killed his family and himself.

• JAVA
    JAVA

RunningMan ? You?re right, we have seen a few JWs or folks associated with the Tower do some bizarre things, like murdering others. But I can imagine the day might come when a JW will walk into a Kingdom Hall or an assembly and unload a gun into the crowd. We had a guy in our KH that was on the fringe I visited in his home many years ago. He went upstairs to get something, and I remember looking around the room for an escape route if I expected or saw a weapon. The irony of that situation was he worked at the Post Office.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Maybe the euphamism in the future will be "going Watchtower" instead of "going postal".

Remember the bomb that went off in a kingdom hall in Australia a few years back. However, God's holy spirit prevented anyone from being hurt.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

God I hope it never happens but I could totally see somebody wigging out and shooting up a Kingdom Hall one day. Its inevitable. They are attracting more and more crazy's to the org.

GBL

• rebel8
    rebel8

You are right, it is a wonder this hasn't happened at a KH...otoh, it probably has and we just don't know about.

The closest thing I know about is a JW father from my old cong killed his 2 kids, wife, and himself in a murder-suicide. We were told he was angry about something and not to ask any more questions.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:We were told he was angry about something and not to ask any more questions.

That has got to be the understatement of the century.

GBL

• kls
    kls

GBL i think the org is growing their own crazies and yes i think there will be more of this as sad as it is to say but some have reached the end of sanity and being involved in a controling religion like this one and the JWS , they see no way out.

This so called religion also does not celebrate holidays,,,fyi

• JAVA
    JAVA

rebel8 -- Your post reminds me of several JW suicides that I'm aware of in Dayton, Ohio. There was a woman with some mental-health issues that attended meetings from time to time. I remember how upset she became when 1976 rolled around and nothing happened. Not long after that she jumped out of a highrise and landed in a dumpster. She had such high expections and faith in the Tower, but saw nothing to live for after the 1975 failure. What a shame--so sad. Had she had a gun, and walked into a KH, it's no telling what could have happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit