From door to door, to door, to door.......

by Gill 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I remember barely ever finding anyone at home. They had built these nice new houses, fairly expensive ones, and someone had it as a territory. No one was home on a whole street, and the others were making comments that "Both parents are working just to be able to afford them." And? That's how life is nowadays. These were beautiful houses, and if the people wanted to work to be able to live there, that was their business.

My mom was talking about the last few houses she has in a territory where she can never find anyone home. I told her about how when I worked with the Census in 2000, I had it well organized to find everyone home. Some of my people would work in the mornings and some at night. I had older people, college students, professionals, men and women on my crew. Then, to get the last couple hundred houses, I switched who went where around and tried to get them at different times. We ended up getting everyone within a few weeks.

I remember joking with them to dress neatly, but not to dress up...because I didn't want anyone to think they were JW's and not open the door! lol

• trevor
    trevor
    Knock or ring, stand chatting for two minutes, maybe knock or ring again, chat a bit more. Move to next house repeat.

So true - The whole idea is to go from door to door not from person to person. When I was a pioneer we would spend ages just standing at closed doors talking to each other. Sometimes we would pretend to ring the bell again in case we were being watched. For someone to open the door and interupt out chatter was considered most impertinent. I was just a teenager and I know some of the other zealots took a more serious approach to their canvassing. They would work their way down the whole road while we did one door. This gave us opportunity to have a nice stroll trying to catch up. We would just say we had 'got stuck' on a door.

We got rid of our magazines on our established rounds. The great thing about day time calling was that everyone was out. As long we got our time in we were unconcerned about how many new people we met. The aim was to survive to the next coffee break.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Before my superfine/ elderette/ pioneer daughter stopped speaking to me, she used to tell me how they "worked" the parks where people were relaxing, and the parking lots at Malls and such---they would wait for people to come to their cars, loaded with grocery bags, etc and little kids---and begin their "presentation". Of course, anyone just sitting in their car waiting for somebody else to come back-was fair game too.

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit