1 John 4:1

by mjl 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mjl
    mjl

Went to the meeting this morning and stayed for the talk. The speaker used a text that I thought was very ironic, 1 John 4:1 which reads " Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they origanate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world." I found this ironic becuase we were trained NOT to test anything in the publications and never question what we hear from the platform. But back to the speaker, he admonished us to test things we hear with what have learned, from the Bible? No, test things we against what have read from the "Bible based teaching aids" that have been given us. Just very interesting......

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It's hypocrisy, don't buy into it.

J

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Its 1984!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, "Look out for false prophets. No we're not false prophets, we're God's people. Just because a few prophecies.... I mean statements were proved false, that doesn't mean anything."

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

There is only one prophecy made by the Watchtower that was ever fulfilled.

Russell's prophecy from the 1880's that Israel would become a nation was fulfilled in 1948

The irony is that Rutherford repudiated that prophecy in the early 1930's.

• garybuss
    garybuss

"So Friends, hypothetically, and I repeat hypothetically, even if an angel were to come down here and land on this platform, today, at this moment, and to present something to us that didn't fit into the pattern of truth, what should we be ready to do? We should be ready to say, "Hold on there, that doesn't fit into the pattern, and I am not going to listen to it!", Yes even if it were one of Jehovah's angels."

Minute 23, Beware Of The Voice Of Strangers, District Convention Of Jehovah's Witnesses, Selkirk, Manitoba, July 12, 2003

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Gary, you have got to be kidding me, that was actually said from a platform? These people are even more far gone than I remember.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I have the tape!

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

I have been a JW for 40 + years, and I can say outright that we have always been taught to examine what we are told. I am preparing an essay to post here to show just that. For all of you that are going to jump up and down and say i am not telling the truth on this and cut and past from various articles, just wait for my essay if you have the patients to do so.

• hmike
    hmike

They might advise members to examine what they are told, but wouldn't be in comparison with, as mjl said, their own teaching aids, or their own "revelations," or their own translation? Do they risk turning members loose to investigate something on their own, using "outside" resources?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Exactly!!!!!! Make sure it's the truth not from the bible but from the watchtower and our publications!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit