1 John 4:1

by mjl 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garybuss
    garybuss

The "Jehovah's angels" quote is in the talk, Beware Of The Voice Of Strangers, but it's not in the Watchtower article with the same title. Anyone wonder why?

• Jez
    Jez

ALL JW's have the mindset that everyone ELSE is a false prophet. It is inconcievable to them that their very own religion would even require 'examining'. You can examine, as long as your findings coincide with their teachings.

I was at the meeting on Sunday. The CO said that 'higher critical' thinking of the bible is considered one of the 'dark' things of this old system.

Jez

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I have been a JW for 40 + years, and I can say outright that we have always been taught to examine what we are told. I am preparing an essay to post here to show just that. For all of you that are going to jump up and down and say i am not telling the truth on this and cut and past from various articles, just wait for my essay if you have the patients to do so.

I mentioned this same scripture to the Service Department (Translated - JW Gestapo) and the 2 dub elders when I asked them about the UN affiliation.

As for JW Ben, give a copy of your essay to the elders and ask them some probing questions like the ones you read on this apostate site. Most of us didn't last as long as you have as a JW. We got out as soon as we saw the lies and BS.

• mjl
    mjl

That's my point Jez.....critical thinking is a big no-no but we should "test" what we hear to see if it is from God. It's more like, forget the Bible, if a point does not match up to the Watchtower, it's not from God. JWBen, tell me if I'm wrong. I have been told for years, we can't possibly understand the Bible with-out the help of the Bible aids given to us. It would be neat to have a "Bile study" instead of a Watchtower study or a "Cong. Book Study."

• Jahna
    Jahna

I was reading Quotes site yesterday and came across this:

Watchtower 1967 June 1 p.338

?First, study: We may think of study as hard work, as involving heavy research. But in Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to do that very thing, to help you who do not have so much time for this, these preparing the good material in The Watchtower and other publications of the Society. But you do not study enough? Take this suggestion: Often the very best and most beneficial studying you do is that done when you read a new Watchtower or Awake! or a new book with the joy of getting the new truths and a fresh view.?

While written in 1967 in the 80's and 90's it was still a very popular opinion, often touted from the platform. I have also heard it said, from the platform, we shouldn?t spend to much time doing research, our brothers at bethel have done it for us, better to be out in the ministry. Basically it is narrowing the research that is ?approved? by the society to society based publications, and even then, not delving in too deep. To do otherwise was to scorn the fine spiritual food given to us by the society. (List a bunch of scripture here that may or may not have any relation to the comment/idea presented. This makes it look more biblical.)

QUALIFIED 1955 p.156

?If we have love for Jehovah and for the organization of his people we shall not be suspicious, but shall, as the Bible says, 'believe all things,' all the things that The Watchtower brings out.?

Again written many years ago, the principle still very much applies, as shown by the talk and Watchtower study mentioned in this thread. If we never question what is written in the societies publications, then we are good little slaves, yet, research always leads to questions and answers. It is in finding out what those questions are, and the final answer to them that leads to deeper understanding. Being spoon fed knowledge is about as sustaining as baby food to an adult.

It is interesting that over the years, the principles remain the same, yet the method used to bring across the principle has become more sly. Blunt statements as used in the past, simply do not work in the present, as it is far to narrow minded and fails to live up to it?s own grandiose ideals when faced with scrutiny. The society can?t afford to ?appear? narrow, one track minded, while at the same time, proclaim freedom for it?s members to the media.

Jahna

Thanks Quotes for the bounty of spiritual food *wink*

• Flash
    Flash

Guys, JW Ben is exactly right. We were always encouraged to examine what we were being taught...just so long as we came to the correct conclusion that the FDS was always right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit