2 year old shot in head by 4 year old. (Houston, TX)

by kwintestal 63 Replies latest social current

• Valis
    Valis
    Valis, I would just like to say it is much psychologically easier to kill with a gun.

Authorities said the four-year-old didn't seem to understand what he had done.

"He's wondering where his brother is, and when his brother's coming back," Grysen said.

classicist...obviously that is not what we are talking about here..there is a combination of factors including access to a dangerous weapon, a very young child being exposed to such things, possible exposure to images of gunfire on TV, whether it is the news, or movies, or cartoons, or even violence in the neighborhood. Sure, people do get pissed off at each other and murder, but to me this seems much more like a tragic loss of innocence for the 4 year old and a horrid mistake.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Yeah but 99% of people who kill people with their cars (you know 67% of statistics are made up on the spot), don't want to committ murder. Guns are an instrument of death and as I said before, it is far easier to kill with a gun than with anything else, like a knife.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Classicist... do you really think it makes that much difference whether a person *means* to kill someone or not?

I think it doesn't. I think that at the end of the day, that child was still thrown from the car and died on the way to the hospital. Either way, little Johnny isn't coming home.

As far as easier to kill with a gun than a knife... yes, I agree. It is also easier to kill with a car than a knife. 1000s of people have been involved in deadly crashes in the states. How many killed someone with a knife by accident?

FMZ

• Simon
    Simon

It is purely and simply a gun control issue - if guns are available then people will be shot ... including kids.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have to pass any sort of intelligence or "sense" test to get a gun?

We don't have guns generally avaulable and so tend to have far far fewer gun related accidents.

• Simon
    Simon
    Wouldn't matter if you were in the jungles of the Yucatan and had a machete next to the bed...one kid grabs it and kills your other child, it is still your fault allowing access to a weapon

And yet ... you rarely hear of such things do you ?

Something about guns and certain cultures that like to glamourise them.

• blondie
    blondie

I do wonder why the gun was not locked up or at least lock up her purse.

I wonder how much training she had in the use and care of a gun? A loaded gun in her purse accessible to her child?

I grew up around guns due to my dad's job but he always locked them up.

What a sad, sad situation!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The relationship between a gun culture and homicide is not as linear as you might think, it's definitely more complex than (X) number of guns owned per population = (Y) gun deaths. As was pointed out by Michael Moore (but seemingly missed by most every rightwinger who saw it; more confirmation that people can't even hear notions that don't conform to their existing beliefs) by referencing the high gun ownership/low gun death rate of Canadians in the movie Bowling for Columbine.

Given that America is NOT going to radically restrict gun ownership anytime soon, and the fact that gun ownership does not have to equal a high homicide rate, guns are not a sword this liberal sees a need to fall on. :-D

• bisous
    bisous

Personally I feel the only individuals who should possess guns are law enforcement or military, after being trained and ongoing completion of training for safety.

OMG, she treads on the bill of rights .... yeah well IMO the reasons our founding fathers wanted to include the right to bear arms are not valid in today's society, 200+ years hence.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    classicist...obviously that is not what we are talking about here..there is a combination of factors including access to a dangerous weapon, a very young child being exposed to such things, possible exposure to images of gunfire on TV, whether it is the news, or movies, or cartoons, or even violence in the neighborhood. Sure, people do get pissed off at each other and murder, but to me this seems much more like a tragic loss of innocence for the 4 year old and a horrid mistake.

Valis, I was talking about the issue at large, sorry I should've specified.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Guns, no matter what size, make the world. On a more in - the - house kind of situation, it's a matter of personal responsibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit