The Watchtower Saw It Coming!

by Englishman 43 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Two words: Ad. Hominem.

SNG

Dang it, SNG. You took my words. And euphemism you hit it on the head too - no logical arguments to defend - just attack the individual for thinking. I forgot this article - with the surging tide of 'apostasy' the borg might need to reprint this one soon...this time with a major focus on the 'internet' ... Jeff

• M.J.
    M.J.

This article sure keeps addin' up the hominums.

• Catren
    Catren

This article felt so unctuous to me. Urk.

Catren

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Sorry, but that Watch Tower article made me barff.

• JustUs
    JustUs

Remember, this article was written shortly after the meltdown in Brooklyn in the late 70's. Ray Franz had his book published, and the society was frantic about damage control.They were kicking people out of the organization left and right. Fear was, and still is the best way to control the millions who make this organization $millions$ Very sad, but true.It's funny, but I remember being encouraged 40 years ago to ask anyone at their door, who believed in "Hellfire" to reason why their particular religion would use fear of hell fire to warn them against reading our literature.Was'nt it because we had the "TRUTH"? Loved the quote seattleniceguy pointed out. It speaks volumns about this organization.

• heathen
    heathen

I notice they avoided using the word "cult" for some reason . It's really what the article is about any way , the " apostates" choose to call them a cult . Brainwashing is another term people like to use . Meanwhile they still claim not to go beyond what is written when it's clear to anybody that researches the WTBTS dogma that they do . They even talk about outsiders like they know the motives of these people instead of stating an opinion, it's ........ oh they just hate us because of the devil and want us to change into some ungodly organization . Granted most here do argue over the blood doctrine and the DFing policies of the WTBTS or the child abuse which are worthy arguments that in most cases the WTBTS does not have a stand on these issues and resorts to pulling rank ........... Well now let's enforce the belief that we are the FDS so they know it's our place to keep them in place ... Yadda yadda .............. They can't even get the doctrine on the new system straight , according to them they are living in the new system , I remember the world ended invisibly , They don't exspect christ to return to earth which the bible clearly states he does , they don't believe the great crowd will enter the "kingdom of the heavens " but will only reside in paradise earth . They do deny the great crowd their christ with these doctrines . To the WTBT it's do what we say and believe everything you are told even if there is evidence they are liars ........... sounds awefully cultish to me .............

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    March 15, 1986.

Allow

No Place for the Devil!

That's the date I started dating my ex.

I remember the article very well. Nothing changes, eh?

Walter

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Armageddon and the new system have been "right around the corner" for years now. I?m tired of waiting

- From the 1986 Watchtower.

I believe that says it all.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Another old thread worth seeing again. What a great article!

Dave

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I FEEL LIKE THROWING UP!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit