Jehovah's Witness Oddities

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I now enjoy telling people about the things Jehovah's Witnesses can and cannot do. For instance, Witnesses can work in a store that sells lottery tickets and tobacco but they can't own the store themselves.....Whole blood is forbidden to be transfused yet blood fractions are acceptable. Donating blood in any form is wrong but accepting blood fractions is a conscience matter.........Can you think of other JW oddities?????

• zeroday
    zeroday

I worked at a major grocery chain store. Xmas came around and the store manager wanted me to help put up xmas decorations. I explained to him my belief system and why I could not put them up in good concience. Well to make a long story short I almost got fired over it. Well, we had 2 elders in our hall. Arrogant self rightous Elder 1 and 2, both worked for an apartment complex as maintance personal. I even approached them as what to do in this situation and basically it was up to my concience. Come to find out, who do you think put up the xmas lights and decorations at the apartment complexes they worked at. You guessed it. Apparently it did not bother their conciences. Especially when it came to their jobs. Concience is a very subjective thing.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Jehover's Witnesses demand that everyone respect their rights of religious freedom and freedoms of speech while at the same time shun people for expressing religious ideas that are different from those taught by the WTS.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Oddity Number 2:

In 1980 I had a cousin also a witness, married a brother and almost from the start the verbal and physical abuse began. The Elders would never step in and help. Well, one can be beaten to pulp so many times and she left him and had an affair with another elder. Absoultely no mercy was shown to her at all and she was DF'ed. Fast forward 24 years to 2004. Her brother also a witness and a very self rightous elder has been married to this sister for 30 years. Although he did not physically abuse her the verbal and mental abuse was overwelming. Again a person can only take so much and she divorces him. Not a spiritual divorce mind you. He steps down as elder and falls into a deep depression. Imaging your whole control environment disappearing over night. No longer a high flying self rightous elder, overbearing husband where your every whem is answered to and striped away of any prominance in the cong. He meets a single divorced sister and seduces her and they wind up in bed. They run to the elders and cry etc. His defence is he had not intention of divorceing his wife and she had no right to deny him his marriage bed, if you know what I mean. Well, being a "Good old Boy", exelder etc. They only public reprove him and allow them to get married. Can you say "Double Standard"?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

How about, they have communion, only almost no one takes it, and they only do it once a year.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    How about, they have communion, only almost no one takes it, and they only do it once a year.

Their communion ceremony replicates almost exactly an ancient satanic ritual in which participants refused to partake of the wine and bread in order to show their denial of Christ and their allegiance to Satan. Pretty odd, I say.

• talesin
    talesin

Lottery tickets are gambling, winning a prize in a promotional draw is not.

• Quotes
    Quotes

You can NOT say "God Bless You" -- when someone sneezes... something about Demonz. Uh, Yah, that makes a LOT of sense.

I guess JWs should all say "SATAN DAMN YOU" when someone sneezes.

~Quotes, of the "You are ssssooooo good lookin' (Seinfeld)" class

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Celebration of the of an individual's birthday is not allowed, as it shows "too much honor to an individual", however marriage anniversaries are commonly observed. So you CAN celebrate the anniversary of a marriage ceremony, but NOT the anniversary of ones birth. Also, unlike many religions and cultures, there is no ceremony to mark the transition from child to adult, and the acceptance of adult responsibilities, such as Bar- or Bat-mitzvah.

• Undecided
    Undecided

You can kiss your wife's face but not her .............

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit