What's your take on morality?

by Narkissos 42 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I find it interesting, I believe one of the 10 commandments actually says "You shall not murder," rather than "You shall not kill" as it is commonly translated, so it is alright to kill. The REB translates it, "Do not commit murder" (Ex. 20:13). I think there are some things that are absolutely wrong, but we are not always held fully responsible for these wrong actions. They say there are three conditions that must be met for a sin to be considered "mortal": 1. Grevious matter 2. Sufficient Reflection and 3. Consent of Will.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I would not like to live in a world without morals therefore I am responsible to the world to be moral. Noone really has to be taught what we regard as good morals, they are reflexive in a healthy social environment. Much of what we call morailty is automatic and instinctive, but there always are issue of conflict that require personalized values and priorities. This is where parents and role models have much influence.

Likewise the rare psychopath cannot learn to behave as society wishes no matter what skill his teachers have.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I think morality is the natural product of our evolution as a species. Most of us have an inherent need to be liked and I think that has been the driving force behind all the general goodness of human beings.. the real reason we have laws and generally treat our fellow man decently.

GBL

• Golf
    Golf

Greetings. I come from a large family and my grandmother use to babysit a few of us. A lesson I learned from her since childhood and it has stuck with me since, is, be 'respectful.' That encompasses everything, the rest is history. By the way, she wasn't a Christian!

Many of the scriptures that deal on morality always reminds me of my grandmother. My famous quote is "Greed has no morals!"

Golf

• JAVA
    JAVA

Cult-like or high-control religions expect members to follow orders from headquarters, and not to question. The act of questioning causes others within the group to question a member's morality. Being a Jehovah's Witness does not help foster morality, but in fact to look the other way. For example, shunning is very harmful and controlling, but JWs willingly engage in behavior that's not moral. As a result, I believe it's much easier to develope morality when one is out of a religion that skews the topic at hand--morality.

• joelbear
    joelbear

its been said before, but

do unto others as you would have them do unto you keeps you pretty dang moral

• peacefulpete
  • Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Morality should be a constant. If everyone held fast to the ideas expressed in the 10 commandments, what would be the harm? Whether they were written by man or God, adherance to their premises is a sure fire way to prevent undue strife in one's life.
    The problem is that holding a sense of personal morality brings ridicule from any who by their own deviance must lower the moral bar to explain away their actions.
    I am sickened by the current trend to apply an attitude of acceptance or understanding to all sorts of perversions and addictions. Shedding a cult mentality too often leads to abandoning all sense of morality. Freedom doesn't mean you can do whatever you like according to your won rules or morals. True morality benifits the greater segment of society. Selfish deviance is what has made the idea of morality a point of contention and argument.

Thunder ===}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• proplog2
    proplog2

Honesty is the best policy.

Lying is the best strategy.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I like Pole's idea,, do no harm. That is it basically. But I think we need to include all life not just humans in the do no harm type of morality.

Of course we need to eat and so we harm animals and plants with every turn we make so the do no harm should be qualified by "unnecessary" or perhaps show a moderation in our causing harm, which requires a certain flexibility that can not be, if one follows a ridged code of morals.

Life is too complicated to follow very closely the morals that have been handed down to us from the society we find ourselves in,,we need to be see these common moral understandings we inherit for what they are,,products of our evolution that are not set in stone and subject to improvement or in need of being disguarded as thier is no such thing as absolute good and bad,,they are just mental constructs. Religious indoctrination in MO is very harmful to flexibility in this reguard.

Things that we as a human may judge as morally good may be viewed by another spiecies as morally bad it all depends at which angle one looks at something. I'm not advocating to live selfishly and make morals that allow for our selfish and sometimes cruel desires,,what I advocate is not being bound by arbritrary rules of common accepted morality,,and encourage thinking outside the box society squeezes us in. Looking at things with a freshness that is not constricting,, reexamining age old stiff unflexible hand me down morals is a dangereous path to embark on but to me this is what our society needs to get out of its archaic moral ruts. Mindless morals just makes us automatons of society.

Now if I can only live up to what I just said that would be great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit