To what extent did you let others know that you were a JW?

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I remember the elders telling us that we had to let everyone know that we were a JW.

Does your boss know that you're a JW?

Does your teacher know?

Do your classmates know?

Does your doctor know?

Do your neighbours know?

and so on.......

Did you listen to the advice of the elders and go out of your way to let many people know that you were a JW? or did you act like me, and try to sweep it under the carpet?

• curlygirl
    curlygirl

Sadly, yes, I told anyone who would listen.

I remember feeling guilty because I had considered NOT telling my employer.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I never tried to Hide.

I told everyone. People were shocked because I was normal. I didn't fit the part. I was cool.

People even bragged I was one. They all laughed in school about it and thought I was awesome. I made fun of myself and it got me through it. I was jealous they got to do Birthday's and Christmas ect... I got over it to a point.

Now my friends that I see that were from school I flat out tell them I am not a JW anymore! They laugh and say you are still the same person.

Nancy made up Merry Winter Day!!!!! That was our Christmas!

Brooke

• upside/down
    upside/down

Everyone knew... I made sure but in a tactful way.

The response was always the same " YOU'RE one of "them""- in a sincerely concerned manner. I was very proud as I could see the wheels spinning in their head as I dispelled many of the stereo-type people have of Dubs. I was a good, normal, reasonable, intelligent, seemingly educated, tolerant, hard working, entrepeneurial person AND A DUB!

For all the "good" I did for the bOrg 1000 other Dubs were hard at work proving me a liar and exception to the rule- they win.

u/d

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Never ever upon pains of death did I tell anyone. I hated being associated with it in anyway, hell I don't tell people now that my family are dubs as I don't want any of the stigma.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Though some people would find out, I never was proud to say I was a witness.

• JH
    JH

Mark 8:38

8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Did this verse prompt you to tell everyone that you were a JW?

• upside/down
    upside/down

I apply to how I feel NOW!

I think Christ would be happy with the effort I've made to continue and know truth or at least recognize a LIE. And stick to my guns even if it means going it alone. I did when I became a Dub and I can do it again (am doing it again).

u/d

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Everyone I went to school with or worked with knew I was a JW. I never 'witnessed' to them though as they liked me and thought I was a cool guy and I didn't want to push my luck change their mind.

I remember when those talks were given about witnessing to school or work colleagues I always felt I would be embarrassed if they attended meetings. Embarrassed because it was such a strange life being a JW and far removed from being normal. I was used to it but I felt they would just think it was weird and think the same of me.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I was really gung ho to start with but as the years went by I hid it more and more. I think on a subconcious level I was starting to realize what a crock of s*it the whole thing was. I sure don't want to admit to anyone even now that I used to believe that stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit