JW Convention First Aid

by Quotes 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• PurpleV
    PurpleV
    she decided to run it past my grandma (who had rode with us). She wouldn't leave, so my mom spent the whole day running me to the restroom

I'd have told her, "Good luck finding a ride home!" That would've gotten her up pretty quick.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

In the late 1970s I had a station wagon and since my now ex wife was an RN. I was also an elder at this time.

So they asked us to man the first aid station. We were given all kinds of cautions as to what we could do and not do.

We set up what the wbts would let us and could see that it was almost nothing. They wanted me to use my wagon as an ambulance. I said NO. The local fire station and para medics are only about a mile away and I will call them for an emergency. I had a hell of a time getting them to see the advantage.

It was like I was calling the government into the assembly.

We noticed that there were several elderly who had heart problems, so at the elders/co meeting I suggested that we purchase a small oxygen tank and mask. No risks with this and it is the first thing a heart attack victim may need.

You would have thought I wanted to buy an x ray machine or something. The elder I viewed as the village idiot screams NO WE DON'T WANT SECOND AID HERE and the C O a real captain wierdo also cries out WE DON'T NEED SECOND AID HERE.

I reminded them that the worldly people provide this type of protection at base ball or rodeos, are we going to provide our own, less than that?

They acted like I had crapped on the holy spirit. With the wbts it is all smoke and mirrors.

Outoftheorg

• Gordy
    Gordy

Since I left the JW's, the job I'm now in requires me to be a qualified First-Aider. Which entails a four-day course every three years, with St.Johns Ambulance.

We were told that we are not allowed to give medicines of any kind, like aspirin etc. Otherwise if person has reaction to the medicine you leave yourself open to be sued. A first-aiders job is to give aid and comfort to the person until professional help arrives.

I wonder how JW conventions handle first aid now, at such large gatherings, its law that qualified first aid is present.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I don't know if it is state laws or federal that regulate first responders.

In Idaho para medics are allowed to deliver some medications and have radio contact with an MD for the more critical situations.

Emergency medical techs in Idaho in remote areas have some kind of way to deliver meds if they have recieved backing by an md, even if not in radio contact. I think it is if the md trusts their knowledge. In some areas response is an hour or more away and life flight is used but they don't want to respond unless a medic calls them.

At least that is what I was told.

But the whole thing, all of the medical providers are liable for law suits for almost anything.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I used to work the first aid center when I was an EMT beats the heck out of having to actually listen to the assembly!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    They acted like I had crapped on the holy spirit

I'd bet that one is unforgivable... lol

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

yup their skeered of handing out bandaids.

i was 13 in the late 70s.. was peeling a peach with a pals pocket knife (in kentucky all the boys had pocket knives) sliced my thumb wide open. and i was no where near my parents. ( i was " chaperoning" my older sister and her nice jw pothead boyfriend)........anyhoo.. i went to the first aid area, blood dripping all over my hands and running down my arms... they said " we're here for real emergency's we cant help you" i said " all i want is a bandaid" they said " we dont hand out bandaids to kids" i said " thanks anyway" and went to the bathroom and wrapped it in those non absorbent brown paper bag type paper towels. went and showed it to my mom, got fussed at for leaving my sister alone with the bf.. and she dug into her magic purse and pulled out a bandaid!

all i needed was my mama! screw first aid!

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

When i was a baby I was sleeping on a seat at the convention in Vancouver's Pacific Colisium. All of a sudden i fell off and landed head first on the concrete floor. My parents took me to the first aid station and were told that I seemed fine so there was no need to go to the hospital. They gave me a tootsie pop and sent us back to our seat.

Mind you, I was too young to remember this, it's just a story my mom told me. However it would explain why I can't stand the taste of tootsie pops.

• rebel8
    rebel8

You reminded me of a funny story. This is true.

I was in my mid-teens and got a bladder infection while at an out-of-town assembly. Of course it was untreated (what else?), so I was in considerable pain and had to keep using the bathroom. I literally could not wait in those long lines, so I would run in and say, "Sorry, I need to go now, I'm ill." I got so many tongue lashings and dirty looks from the sistas for not waiting in line, despite my explanation and obvious hurried/urgent body language (trying not to gross anyone out).

I was in sooo much pain, I went to the 1st aid thingee. The lady said they had aspirin but were "not allowed to give it out to fornicators". I asked what in the world she was talking about. She said, "There is no possible way a girl can get a bladder infection unless she got it from having sex. You don't have a wedding band on. Therefore, you are a fornicator." I explained they were wrong about the causes of such infections, proclaimed my innocence, and insisted upon getting some aspirin. No go. I asked the lady which she was, a doctor or a nurse. She said, "I'm neither, but I took care of my mother when she was sick." So she had no credentials at all. She then wrote down my name from my badge and reported me to the Elders! The Elders later talked to me and my mom about it! I went back to my seat and asked my mom to bring me to a drug store for some aspirin, but she refused.

BTW, my mother refused to stop for bathroom breaks for the entire car ride home, because I was a fornicator. She did stop when the kids of another sista needed to stop. I never did receive any medical care for that infection.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    P.S. I wonder if the WT's insurance underwriters know about the game they are playing.

Quotes, now you've got me thinking. I'll bet some motivated apostates could read up on the local regs for holding conventions and just walk around to see if they are complying....then blow 'em in. I'll bet there are tons of regs they violate.

Here, for example, there are tons of fire codes and it's almost impossible to get a group of several thousand people to comply with them. Hell, just propping open a door or keeping anything in the hallway is enough to get a citation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit