JW Convention First Aid

by Quotes 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I actually delivered the Service Meeting item about this K M article . I had to do it "tongue in cheek" becaues it is unkind to tell them that the sick are just a problem to the Assembly, as if they meant to get ill

km 5/97 p. 5 1997 "Faith in God?s Word" District Convention ***

First Aid: The First Aid Department is for emergencies only. It is not able to care for the chronically ill. That is why you should consider the health needs of yourself and your family in advance. Please bring your own aspirin, digestive aids, bandages, safety pins, and similar items, as such things will not be available at the convention. Any known to be at risk of seizures, insulin shock, heart problems, and so forth, should anticipate their needs to the extent possible. They should have the necessary medication, and a member of the family or the congregation who understands their situation should be present with them at all times to provide any needed assistance. Problems have arisen at conventions when individuals with chronic health problems were left alone and became ill. The convention administration has had to contact emergency medical services to take them to a hospital. If some with special health needs do not have family members who can assist them, their congregation elders will need to be apprised of the situation and make necessary arrangements to help. No provision will be made at the conventions for special rooms to accommodate those who have allergies.

• wasasister
    wasasister

I worked first-aid at conventions for a number of years because I had some work-related training. It was mainly a way to sit in a comfortable, air-conditioned area with a handy bathroom, rather than the bleachers.

Since most all D.C.'s are held in large cities, it seemed silly to have cots and bandages yet we turned most sick people away. We were told we could immobilize or stabalize a patient until medical care could be reached. I once rode in an ambulance with a sister having siezures since her husband could not be located.

However, I also worked first-aid at quick-builds. These locations were often in remote areas far away from hospitals or doctors. Also, the chance of a serious construction accident - given the lack of training on the part of most of the builders - seemed much more likely than a sister spraining an ankle because her heels were too high. People camped on-site and we did have occasional chest-pains in the middle of the night. We were equipped with oxygen and some fairly sophisticated emergency supplies. Once, a pregnant sister had fairly severe early labor pains along with some bleeding and we had to transport her. Why she was at this building site is beyond me!

• Quotes
    Quotes

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I have read them all.

Reading some of the stories (no band-aids for bleeding kids, no aspirin for "fornicators", no oxygen) really drives home the point: they (the WT management) have completely lost their way, not only doctrinally, but their core values too.

A JW apologist would argue about "the assembly is the first priority, we are not doctors". But to that I say: "So in other words, it is more important to have an efficient, cost-effective, uninterrupted meeting TO LEARN ABOUT BROTHERLY LOVE, rather than to actual demonstrate love and compassion for your fellow brethren who are suffering." Oh, the irony. The HYPOCRISY

As for the "no aspirin for fornicators": that clueless "sister"(tm) that said this likely had the entire bottle SHOVED UP HER A$$! Sheesh. I mean, think about it. Even if she was honestly (but incorrectly) pre-judging you.... since when are "sinners" to be denied medical help? What if a "study"(tm) shows up at First Aid, who is both obviously a chain-smoker, and obviously having a heart attack. Would they have denied "medicine for the sinner"???? SHEESH. This represents the worst side of Watchtowerism, and I don't think this person is unique.

~Quotes, of the "it stings when I pee-pee" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit