My Book of Bible Stories

by Taylor S. 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.
    The one about Jezabel getting thrown out of a window to be fed to the dog's was another joyful tale.

That was Zach's favorite story. We actually used clay to act it out once.

God, what was I thinking? "Turn off that awful, violent TV, my young son. Come, let me show you how Jehovah splatted one of his enemies on the street and let dogs eat her!"

Dave

LOL! Don't feel bad, Dave ... I must've seemed right at the time. LOL. You know what, you really have to give it to the Org ... the things they made good intelligent kind-hearted people do.

And we used to laugh at cult members.

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.
    I'd love to send a copy of the Bible Stories book, the Great Teacher book (pink one) and the new Learning from the Great Teacher book to Dr. Phil. He wants to do a show about cults... he can start with that.... what almost all of us here were raised on.

oh my god scully .... great idea.

do you think he'd do it? personally, i stopped watching dr. phil a long time ago ... just a little too perfect for me. he really annoys the crap outta me now. i guess cause i know he'd point out all obvious flaws and i'd wanna smack his bald head.

tS

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

When I opened that BS book for first time in well over twenty years, my reaction was anger. But after reading this thread laughing my butt off at the repressed that are coming back ....

All the little boys wore tea towels and dressing gowns and had mascara beards painted on. The little girls used to put on my mums bangles and sequin headscarfs and makeup for a gypsy/harlot type combo look. It was fun at the time but in retrospect pretty weird.

new worldly ... not sure i wanted to bring that memory back. but when i read that, it came back any. i was so young ... i blocked it out. and you're right ... it felt so normal at the time. fun even. hell, we had no Halloween so ...... you take what you can get.

what kid wouldn't wanna dress up as Boaz ?

• Scully
    Scully

Tyler:

I'd love to send a copy of the Bible Stories book, the Great Teacher book (pink one) and the new Learning from the Great Teacher book to Dr. Phil. He wants to do a show about cults... he can start with that.... what almost all of us here were raised on.

oh my god scully .... great idea.

do you think he'd do it? personally, i stopped watching dr. phil a long time ago ... just a little too perfect for me. he really annoys the crap outta me now. i guess cause i know he'd point out all obvious flaws and i'd wanna smack his bald head.

I know there's a show in the planning stages (at least on his website) about "family member in a cult". One thing I do like and appreciate about Dr. Phil is his commitment to "be a voice for" people who don't have one.... especially children. I think these books crystallize the kind of insidious indoctrination techniques and scare tactics that JWs use on their kids. I'm sure that Dr. Phil - who talks about how verbal abuse, fighting in front of kids, physical abuse "changes who we are" - would take a very critical look at these publications and say "WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING??"

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

I remember when the put the Bible Stories on tape. It was this big flimsy vinyl case with like 10 tapes inside. My grandparents played them so much that one of the tapes had messed up and it sounded like it was playing backwards. The guy that was doing the voice-overs sounded creepy anyway. But I could have sworn that I heard Satanic messages when the messed up tape was playing--it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard then. Truly one of the highlights of my miserable young Witless life.

laters

kaykay_mp

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

a jw man, who my husband met at an eletronics store, gave my kids one of those books. my kids havent seen it and never will. i still have the book and have been tempted more than once to give the thing back to the jw guy. i flip through the book every once in a while and it's something that really isnt for children.

the kids dont miss the book

Josie

• Preston
    Preston

Hey, Boaz was the schiznit! I did a sweet parody of some of the bible pictures here. Others participated. Enjoy!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/25/84764/1.ashx

• Preston
    Preston

Hey, Boaz was the schiznit! I did a sweet parody of some of the bible pictures here. Others participated. Enjoy!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/25/84764/1.ashx

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.
    A friend of mine told me that an elder said to him, "I've noticed that all the elders in the congregation are doing well financially, because they put Jehovah first.

Kay ... sounds like the birth of an apostate to me ...

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Yeah all the kids were itching to play that part. Either him or Zerubbabel.

Actually the only parts we wanted to play were battles between Israelites v Philistines or Israelites v Egyptians etc so we could kick the frick out of each other and have a big wrestling match on the floor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit