My Book of Bible Stories

by Taylor S. 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I was indoctrinated with this book before I could even read. My parents got the cassette tapes for me and I had the entire book memorized. The story of the angel killing that entire army in their sleep scared the ever living shit out of me. But they made me listen to it and eventually read it. Nice effing stories. The one about Jezabel getting thrown out of a window to be fed to the dog's was another joyful tale.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Poor blind JW's, terrifying their little children and the children too scared to voice their fears... I've had to apologize to my children about the way I used to blindly follow the stupid orders from the society, the spankings when they'd wiggle during meetings, the forced hours on end in the car while I Aux Pioneered, the horrifying nightmares they endured as children when hearing the descriptions as we studied the Daniel book and the Book of Bible Stories, the guilt trips, the missed special days...

So awful,

You know, there are many people who come to this site and lurk that are still JW's. Do you really believe that your children are happy being JW's? Are you completely blind? They are not happy. You think they are because they are good little kids and love you more than life. They follow your bs rules and regulations because they want to make you happy. They say the words you want them to hear, they are horrified at the thought of making you sad.

Wake up! Your children are suffering, and IT'S YOUR FAULT, just as it was mine.

Jeannie

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.
    GetBusyLiving: Nice effing stories. The one about Jezabel getting thrown out of a window to be fed to the dog's was another joyful tale.

I was twelve when that book came out and thrilled to read it.

But I was a perverse child ... although the flood picture with the woman clutching her baby on a rock kinda disturbed me, but the Sodom and Gomorrah pic with the cool fireballs raining down on all those poor sodomites, that rocked. I was big on burning stuff down and sticking fire-crackers under frogs then ....

... so go figure.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

That book gave me serious nightmares dude. The story about the writing on the wall seriously freaked me out bad. Everybody was getting killed ALL THE TIME. Also hearing stuff from Revelations about birds eating the fleshy parts of dead people.. holy crap I had a real messed up view of life when I was a kid! Those images are tough to erase from a mind. I can remember back to that stuff from when I was like 5 years old. Now its all I can do not to resent my parents for all the baggage I carry around.. I know its not their fault.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

My parents read it to me as a kid, they skipped the stories like Jezebel, etc. I think it's b/c my mom had a jaded JW upbringing (her two sisters are out, and my grandma doesn't speak to one of them) that she didn't wish to put on me and my sister.

I just want to get my family out of that cult, but nothing will work (well, there are a few things, but I don't want to cross the proverbial line).

• Honesty
    Honesty
    You know, there are many people who come to this site and lurk that are still JW's. Do you really believe that your children are happy being JW's? Are you completely blind? They are not happy. You think they are because they are good little kids and love you more than life. They follow your bs rules and regulations because they want to make you happy. They say the words you want them to hear, they are horrified at the thought of making you sad.

Wake up! Your children are suffering, and IT'S YOUR FAULT, just as it was mine.

Jeannie

So sad that the children had to suffer because we were so blind

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

The worst was when the cassette tapes came out and you had to listen to the tapes while you tried to go to sleep at night. If that isn't a case for brainwashing, what is? Yes, listen in your sleep to these horrid stories of murder in God's name.

Then if a good little JW kid memorized the stories and could recite them word-for-word they were PRAISED for it.

Does any of this bear a slight resemblance of a cult to you?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

So true Jeannie, I totally agree with your thoughts.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    The one about Jezabel getting thrown out of a window to be fed to the dog's was another joyful tale.

That was Zach's favorite story. We actually used clay to act it out once.

God, what was I thinking? "Turn off that awful, violent TV, my young son. Come, let me show you how Jehovah splatted one of his enemies on the street and let dogs eat her!"

Dave

• Scully
    Scully

I'd love to send a copy of the Bible Stories book, the Great Teacher book (pink one) and the new Learning from the Great Teacher book to Dr. Phil. He wants to do a show about cults... he can start with that.... what almost all of us here were raised on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit