Told my dad I'm leaving the JWs

by ithinkisee 39 Replies latest members private

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I'm so happy and so sad for you at the same time. This is going to take a lot of courage and a lot of changes.

The story about your Dad almost brings tears to my eyes, because it's almost my same story. My mother became a JW after my parents were married and she divorced him when I was 1 year old because of many different reasons, JWism being one of the foremost. I didn't have anything to do with my "worldly" father my whole life.

I finally left when I was 19 and started to try to repair the years lost. I'm happy to say that my Dad actually flew almost 3,000 miles to my wedding and gave me away this past fall. It really was special. Here was my Dad that was lost to me and finally back in my life. It took 30 years but it happened.

I'm so happy you made that phone call.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

What a great read, thanks for sharing. I have to wonder how many other dads or moms would love to have the conversation you did with your dad. I think my sister-in-law would react the same way if her 2 JW kids shared this kind of news with her. I've admired the way she has been able to put up with their choice of "religions".

• bebu
    bebu

Thank you so much for sharing that story! Truly moving!

I admire your dad for waiting all those years for you, with hope in the face of what (surely to him) seemed an impossiblity. And I congratulate you for calling him first to speak those words. He deserved to be the first to know.

bebu

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

As i read your post, ifelt very emotional. It is so wonderful that you are going to have a normal relationship with your dad again. I feel for you though. It must be a tremendous worry not knowing whether your wife and kids are going to follow you or not. If you ever need to talk, just email me.

Best wishes for your future

CHUKKY

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

Good for you and your Father.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Congratulations, -ithinkisee!

Now that you and your father are closer please make sure you continue with your relationship. As much as my own father hurt me, I'd give anything to be able to hug him right now (he died in 1978).

Ian

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Well I'm sobbing now...I hope you're happy.

I really do hope you are happy. I got out with my wife and kids and it took some planning.

Good luck to you.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Thank you so much for sharing your story - You given a little hope to us all.

will

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Thanks so much for your experience. I'm certain your conversation with your dad provided him with the happiest day of his life!

My mother, too, got involved with the JWs in the late seventies. Out of 3 kids, I was the only one who followed her in. I proceeded to write off my "worldly" family, and soon the stress caused my parents to separate, and it too was bitter. I never called or visited my father after the separation. I pioneered, and married a pioneer sister. I didn't even invite my dad to my wedding because of his attitude toward the witnesses. That didn't stop him from sending me a huge cash wedding gift, which amounted to more than than all the other gifts combined. It stunned me, and made me realize that he really did care for me, and that I'd been behaving like an asshole. I began to visit him again, regularly, and over the years he helped me through many hardships while the witnesses, who I had embraced with such fervor, laughed at my sometimes desperate situations. He taught me the meaning of unconditional love.

Our relationship grew over the years, and he knew of the shit I was putting up with in the congregation. One time he commented about me not being very serious about the JWs, so he wasn't worried anymore. The comment shocked me, as I thought I was still a believer. Did he see something I didn't? Probably.

Four years ago, with my father being 81 years old and in poor health, I decided my wife and I would move in with him to help him out. I wasn't sure how my wife would get along with him, as she never visited him with me during the 16 years we were married. It never became an issue though, as he died of a massive heart attack the very day we moved in. I was devastated, and I must have aged 10 years in the next week. His neighbors, whom I had never met, then shocked me with their visits, always bringing food and condolences for us. The JWs could learn a lot from these "worldly" people.

Two years later I DA'd after learning what the watchtower was really about. It resulted in the breakup of my marriage, and now the house that I inheirited, that he had worked so hard for, had to be sold with my JW wife, who never so much as visited my dad with me, taking half the proceeds. Since then I've been to ashamed to visit his gravesite - ashamed because half of his life's savings has gone to a member of the cult he hated, and that treated him so badly.

ithinkisee, thank you for your experience. I only wish there was some way I could give my father the same news. I think I'll go to his gravesite today, and try.

Walter

• Bryan
    Bryan

ithink,

Your post rips my heart out and demands I jump for joy. How happy your father must be after so many years of saddened dissapointment.

I hope you are sucsessful getting your family out as well.

This gives me hope that one day my daughter too, will wake up.

Best regards,

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit