How Far Would You Have Gone To Prove Your Loyalty To The Organization?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

Sad to say, almost anything... but I was never mean to anyone.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I would have died for the WBTS. I thought they were God's channel of truth. I would have gone to my death with no fear and sure of resurrection in the paradise Earth.

To do anything less would have been unfaithfulness to Jehovah.

Now I would do anything I can to expose the WBTS as the lying scumbag it is.

• dostprefer
    dostprefer

re How Far Would You Have Gone To Prove Your Loyalty To The Organization?

How far would you go to prove your loyalty to Jehovah? Isn't that the point? Really?

But it won't be if the 'organisation' is not the one I have inind.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I would have and did anything for them. Or, maybe for my parents. Being razed as a JW makes it hard to find the distinction between where the obedience to the religion ends and to my parents begins. (maybe its the other way around?)

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation
    Being razed as a JW

Woah, that's a tough upbringing!

I know what you mean though about the hazy distinction between obedience to the religion and to parents. For a long time the religion wasn't real to me and I didn't really care for it but I wanted to make my parents happy and so tried to do the right thing (well, what I thought was right at the time)

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

good question, Minimus. I'm afraid to even contemplate the answer. I think I would have died for the organization. Fortunately I was never tested to the limit regarding my children - but I probably would have sacrificed them- I certainly put them through hell because of misguided teachings.

I know I did treat some friends horribly because I thought it was OK to disfellowship. At the same time, I did rebel against the rules and disobeyed the no-contact order...so maybe (or I'd like to think this is so) I would not have proven loyal to the end when push came to shove...

I'm not going to speculate. Thank god I got out before I had to ever make that choice.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I can be a pretty selfish person so I don't really know how far I would've gone (I definitely didn't spend much time in FS). And I wouldn't drink the red punch either.

• talesin
    talesin

I was always afraid while growing up that I would not pass a test of faith. For example, I realized by the time I was 15 that I did NOT want to die for refusing blood. I knew long before then, that I hated FS (though I was a pine-ear).

As soon as I left home (16), life as a JW became increasingly surreal. By age 18 it was, buh-bye! So, no, I wouldn't have gone very far at all.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Its interesting to read the comments about the line between loyalty to the "organization" and ones parents being fuzzy. All through my childhood I put a big show on of being the perfect Witness child with unwavering loyalty to the organization. In reality I was doing whatever it took to make my father proud of me, although nothing I did was ever good enough. There was always something I wasnt doing right/enough of/not enough of. If my father had been a Mormon I would have done the same thing. Nothing was ever really about "truth" growing up. It was only about approval. How pathetic that people withhold love from a child to force them to conform.

During this time Im not proud to say that I shunned my own mother for 8 (or so) years. I think I was in the fifth grade when I made the decision. It was immediatly after a "family study" that was very pointed about disfellowshipping and how no matter what, you shouldnt associate with them. I remember my Dad saying "Even if its your own Mother...."

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember using the phrase "I'd rather cut off my arm" on several occasions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit