607? 587? What does it matter

by IP_SEC 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    In short, the Bible gives only a relative chronology and one needs to convert this into an absolute chronology otherwise such chronology hangs in the air without a peg as it were. The Monarchy in Israel ceased about 500 years before our Common Era so a date based on an event is required to connect the data of the kings with our modern period or calender..

scholar,

Thanks for the replys but ..
    You call me naive then you gloss over my question by restating my point as if it is your own.

In short, the Bible gives only a relative chronology and one needs to convert this into an absolute chronology otherwise such chronology hangs in the air without a peg as it were.

This is my question to you and every other witness that believes in 607 and 1914. It would apply equally to anyone trying to make a prophecy out of the 587 or 86 dates.

Maybe my first post was too wordy and my questions were lost on you. Here they are again:

What good is a prophecy that lives or dies; stands or falls based on archeology?
    and
    What good is the bible if you have to be a historian, archeologist, Hebrew and Greek scholar just to understand it?

and

Are we really to believe that this prophecy could only be understood after the relevant archeological discoveries were made?

Thanks scholar, or anyone else who believes in a time prophecy based on a date that cannot be assertained pruly from the bible.

In the future scholar I will try to be self deprecating enough so that you wont feel the need to call me names. :) Thanks again.

IPSec Bachlor of BS, Masters in crappy guitar playin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The date 539 is derived from a Absolute date which is astronomically fixed. So, 539 technically speaking can only be a pivotal date derived from a fixed or absolute date.

Fine. That astronomically-fixed date being 523 BC.

Howecer, 539 is the best pivotal date for the purposes of chronology because it is an event which is well based on the biblical and secular history.

The chronology is anchored in astronomically-fixed absolute dates. Derived dates, however historically significant (e.g. pivotal in history) are still derived from them.

What more momentous event could there be then the Fall of a World Power and its impact on God's people.

What more momentous event for God's people could there be than the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple! Don't you believe that it is the "pivotal event" that starts the 70 years? Don't you believe that it is the "pivotal event" that starts the centuries of Gentile Times that leads all the way down to 1914? I would think that you would be consistent.

Nevertheless, as I pointed out above, derived dates are still derived dates. If we're talking about chronology, the absolute dates that are used to derive the "pivotal" dates are what matters.

Your proposal of 587 as an absolute date is impossible because it is not astronomically fixed

LMAO! Here you're trying to use your own inconsistency against me! You were the one who was calling 539 BC an absolute date and I was the one who pointed out that it was not astronomically fixed. I said that if 539 BC is an absolute date as you claimed it to be, then 587 BC should equally be considered an absolute date. Now you conveniently switch positions and declare a "fundamental difference" between absolute and pivotal dates, refer to 539 BC as a pivotal date, and say that I "proposed" 587 BC as a genuine absolute date when it really is not. You're actually making my exact point. If 587 BC is not an absolute date, than your own proposal of 539 BC is equally "impossible becuase it is not astronomically fixed".

so at best it could only serve as a pivotal date dependent on that later astronomically fixed date of 568 BC.

Right, and likewise, 539 BC is at best only a pivotal date dependent on that earlier astronomically fixed date of 523 BC. My point: What's the difference? Why are you starting your chronology with one astronomically-fixed date and not the other? Apparently you still don't get my point. Note too that 587 BC is straightforwardly derived from the astronomically-fixed date of 568 BC. In fact, the derivation is simpler because both dates occur within the reign of the same king and we don't have to keep track of other reigns as we need to do to get to 539 BC.

I prefer classifying 539 as a Absolute Date rather than as a pivotal date because of its theological significance and its relevance to OT chronolgy. But this is my personal opinion on the matter.

Whoa, now you suddenly turn the tables again! You start out saying that there is a "fundamental difference" between pivotal and absolute dates and conclude that it is impossible that 587 BC is an absolute date because it is not astronomically fixed. Fine. Now you jettison that distinction entirely and treat 539 BC as an absolute date anyway because of its "theologial significance" .... how is that a defining property of absolute dates??? This is special pleading of the worst sort.

Not only that, but you also indulge in circular reasoning in referring to 539's "relevance to OT chronology". It only has that relevance after you have already chosen another date, 523 BC, as date to fix your chronology, to derive 539 BC as the date to fix the terminus of the 70 years two years later. If we choose a different absolute date to fix your chronology, 568 BC, and apply the very same interpretation of the 70 years to get to the last year of Zedekiah (i.e. the Watchtower Society's interpretation), we are now talking about 519 as the fall of Babylon and 517 BC as the terminus of the 70 years. With 568 BC as the anchor date (and with the Watchtower interpretation of the 70 years), 539 BC is meaningless. The only reason why 539 BC has any significance for you is that you have already a priori selected 523 BC as the astronomically-fixed anchor date.

Which brings me to my main point...

Your interpretation of the seventy years is problematic and renders the fulfillment of that prohecy sterile and meaningless. The seventy year was marked by exile, servitude and desolation powerfully presented by Jeremiah and that is why that the seventy yeras could only have begun with the dramatic fall of Jerusalem and their dramatic returm from exile.

This is false...I made no contrary interpretation of the seventy years; I simply employed your very own interpretation of the 70 years. The only difference was the date one chooses to fix the rest of the chronology. And my point, which you still have not acknowledged, is that there is no inherent conflict between 587 BC and your interpretation of the 70 years. You continually talk as if there was such a conflict. But logically, one could start of with 568 BC just as you start off with 523 BC, and derive 587 BC as the date of Jerusalem's fall and a terminus of the 70 years just as you derive 537 BC as a terminus of the 70 years on the basis of 523 BC (which is the basis for both 539 BC and 537 BC), and come up with a chronology that has both (1) 587 BC as the date of Jerusalem's fall and (2) the interpretation of the 70 years which you so love and prefer. Both in complete harmony. And since the "Bible" trumps all other secular evidence (as you say it does with the admittedly "overwhelming" secular evidence for the length of the Neo-Babylonian period), it doesn't matter at all that the chronology of the Persian period is now some 20 years off from what can be otherwise established through secular evidence. It doesn't matter at all how overwhelming the evidence is otherwise that Babylon fell in 539 BC, because at least we can maintain the 70 years as running from the date of Jerusalem's fall to the end of the captivity. All the other secular evidence does not matter, and it is also consistent with the biblical evidence of the Persian period which is relative and not astronomically-based. I honestly don't see how this is any different than what you are doing with respect to the overwhelming evidence for Jerusalem's fall in 587 BC. I see it as different sides of the same token.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Leolaia - why do you bother with Scholar - - there are none as blind as those that do not want to see and none as deaf as those that do not want to hear - Scholar does not want to see - and if the WTBTS said tomorrow that red was blue - scholar would say that red was blue - that is just the way it is

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

THIS IS A HUGE TOPIC! THis is what made me question my faith as a JW. When I realized they were wrong about 607 BCE It was all over for me. Everything falls apart after that. No 607 ....No 1914...No invisible coming...Jesus is yet to come....They are wrong....What else are they wrong about....God has never been wrong....This is not God's chosen org.....it is all over. Your life falls apart for awhile and then you start building up the pieces again.

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

It seems that everything has to be explained in great detail because you are critical of everything I say to point of being ridiculous. Are you trying to defend the indefensible?

I disagree with your proposition that it is only astronomically fixed dates that matter. Such dates are not always suitable for historical purposes as chronology. For example, Edwin Thiele in his magnum opus lists nine astronomical fixed dates as eclipses in his Appendix H for the period of the OT. Yet, in outlining his methodology he determined from the array of Absolute Dates only two pivotal or absolute dates useful in constructing a harmonious chronology for the Divided Monarchy. These calcuable dates are 841 and 853 BCE.

Similarly, WT scholars have chosen a astronomically fixed date, the seventh year of Cambyses 523 as an absolute date, from this a pivotal date namely 539 for the fall of Babylon is calculated. This pivotal date alone is the most appropriate for establoshing a chronology for the OT for the following reasons:

1. Well attested event in biblical and historical sources

2. Theological and historical significance

3. Universally dated within scholarship

4. A derived date from astronomical evidence

Sadly, your proposed candidate namely 587 for the fall of Jerusalem does not meet these criteria because scholars have not yet determined which calender year for that momentous event. The current situation that scholars are divided between 586 or 587 and IMHO 586 has the majority vote. Recent biblical scholarship is now focussing on 588 for this event so the controversy rages.

Your proposal of a temple hypothesis for the seventy years is simplistic and simply beggars belief. Carl Jonsson a advocate of the temple hypothesis has not determined with any precision the terminus ad quem and terminus ad quo for the seventy years so his theory is kaput. He lists for the beginning of Zechariah's seventy years, 589, 588,587 and for the ending,520,519,518,517,516,515. Thus, one can easily imagine the number of permutations made possible by such a wide choice of data.

scholar emeritus

BA MA Studies in Religion

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    In short, the Bible gives only a relative chronology and one needs to convert this into an absolute chronology otherwise such chronology hangs in the air without a peg as it were. The Monarchy in Israel ceased about 500 years before our Common Era so a date based on an event is required to connect the data of the kings with our modern period or calender..

scholar,

You call me naive then you gloss over my question by restating my point as if it is your own.

In short, the Bible gives only a relative chronology and one needs to convert this into an absolute chronology otherwise such chronology hangs in the air without a peg as it were.

This is my question to you and every other witness that believes in 607 and 1914. It would apply equally to anyone trying to make a prophecy out of the 587 or 86 dates.

Maybe my first post was too wordy and my questions were lost on you. Here they are again:

What good is a prophecy that lives or dies; stands or falls based on archeology?

and

What good is the bible if you have to be a historian, archeologist, Hebrew and Greek scholar just to understand it?

and

Are we really to believe that this prophecy could only be understood after the relevant archeological discoveries were made?

Thanks scholar, or anyone else who believes in a time prophecy based on a date that cannot be assertained pruly from the bible.

In the future scholar I will try to be self deprecating enough so that you wont feel the need to call me names. :) Thanks again.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Once again you failed the grasp the point I was making. I was not talking about any other interpretation of the 70 years than the one you continually endorse. If you still can't see this, you really do have a limited reading comprehension.

Second, I said that if pivotal dates are derived from astronomically-based absolute dates, it is the absolute date that matters most.... since it is the basis for derived pivotal dates. I did not say that only astronomically-based dates matter, nor did I say that all absolute dates are of equal weight. Third, it was by no means "ridiculous" to criticize you for your gross inconsistency in using the terms "absolute" and "pivotal" dates. It utterly escapes me how you can insist on a "fundamental difference" between the two when discussing 587 BC and then utterly blur the difference between the two when discussing 539 BC (e.g. "It is based on a Absolute Date which is 539" "the Fall of Babylon is the best event for a Absolute Date", "539 technically speaking can only be a pivotal date derived from a fixed or absolute date", "539 is the best pivotal date for the purposes of chronology", "I prefer classifying 539 as a Absolute Date rather than as a pivotal date").

Fourth, I find it amusing how you try to disqualify the fall of Jerusalem as a "pivotal date" (based on the absolute date of 568 BC) because modern "scholars have not yet determined which calender year" the event occurred, e.g. 586 or 587 BC. As CityFan and AlanF have shown you time and again, this is a disingenuous straw man and if this is really a problem, one can just as well use the absolute date 568 BC to establish a pivotal date of 15/16 March 597 BC (2nd of Adar, 7th year of Nebuchadnezzer, according to the Babylonian Chronicle) as the date of the first capture of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzer. Note that this is an event attested in both biblical and secular sources, it has historical significance, it is universally dated within scholarship, and it is astronomically-derived (i.e. reckoning 597 BC from the absolute date of 568 BC). And since 2 Chronicles 36:5-9 dates this event at the end of Jehoiakim's reign, this date is pivotal for reconstructing Judean chronology. And all of this is done without making any issue out of the 70 years. And to make my point a third time, by all means go ahead and assume 70 years of captivity ending with the fall of Babylon (or rather, two years later). This would make the end of the 70 years in 517 BC, two years after Babylon's fall. That would be a chronology just as consistent with your interpretation of the "70 years" as the one you currently endorse. Yes, of course, it screws up the Persian chronology. So what. You have repeatedly said that the Bible trumps all secular evidence no matter how overwhelming it may seem. No matter how overwhelming the evidence seems for 539 BC as the fall of Babylon, 70 years of captivity leaves us no choice but to posit 519 BC as the real date for Babylon's fall. That's essentially your same argument for the fall of Jerusalem in 607 BC. Because the 70 years leaves us no choice but to select that date, no matter how overwhelming the secular evidence is for 587/6. Whether there is a conflict or not depends on which absolute date you start off with. There is no inherent conflict between 587/6 and the 70 years as you interpret it.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

scholar,

and

and

• AlanF
    AlanF

Leolaia said:

: I find it amusing how you try to disqualify the fall of Jerusalem as a "pivotal date" (based on the absolute date of 568 BC) because modern "scholars have not yet determined which calender year" the event occurred, e.g. 586 or 587 BC. As CityFan and AlanF have shown you time and again, this is a disingenuous straw man

Precisely. Which shows that unscholar is a pathological liar. He doesn't even believe the Society when it contradicts one of his cherished beliefs.

For example, the February 1, 1969 Watchtower (pp. 88-9) said the following, which bears on the source of dispute among scholars about whether the destruction of Jerusalem occurred in 586 or 586 B.C.:

We have no Babylonian account of Jerusalem?s destruction in Nebuchadnezzar?s eighteenth regnal year (nineteenth from his accession). (Jer. 52:29; 2 Ki. 25:8-10) The Bible is the sole source of authentic information on this event.

Because the Bible is the sole source of information about the date of Jerusalem's destruction, and it indicates that this occurred either in Nebuchadnezzar's 18th or 19th year, it follows that the Bible itself is the sole source of any confusion that arises. Therefore, unscholar's criticism of secular scholars is really criticism of the Bible's own apparent confusion, or at least, inconsistency, about the dating.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

And it is for this very reason that I have repeatedly stated that chronology is about methodology and interpretation.

Secular chronologists cannot precisely date the Fall of Jerusalem because of their particular methodology. WT scholars adopt a different methodology based upon the biblical data can date that same event in 607 in the specific regnal years of Neb and Zedekiah. So there is only problem when scholars ignore the biblical text and slavishly follow foreign secular ecidence.

scholar emeritus

BA MA Studies in Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit