In the last days there will be a witness to all the inhabited earth........

by holly 97 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hebrews 10:24-25 is so frequently read out of context. It doesn't refer to formal congregation services but to Christians gathering together to encourage and support one another in love and doing good deeds:

http://www.theexaminer.org/volume5/number1/passage.htm

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Leolaia .. the destruction of Jerusalem forpictured the future 'end of this system of things'.

"a Matthean redaction of the original phrasing of Mark 13:10." ?????????

... all scripture is inspired ... so why is there a redaction??? Don't answer ... it's rhetorical.

Fe203girl ... we usually hear we are far too pushy!

adelmaal ... please! Do your own thing ... my points here are for holly.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Leolaia ... that's exactly why Heb.10:24 applies to Witnesses.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Jez: So true, especially with respect to Acts 2:5, unless there really were Polynesians, Mayan Indians, Eskimos, and Australian Aborigines living in Jerusalem at the time of the apostles. The scriptures I cited from Paul are especially pertinent too, as they specifically refer to the preaching of the Good News throughout all the earth, to all creation under heaven.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    the destruction of Jerusalem forpictured the future 'end of this system of things'.

What scripture would you point to that proves this?

• Pole
    Pole

In the last days there will be a witness to all the inhabited earth*...

And thus you will recognize Jehovah's true people**.

And they will have two stings*** just like scorpions and in their tails is their authority to hurt but towards the very end of the end of the end of the end of the end of the last days, one of the stings will be cut by half.***

Seriously, what I find truly amazing is that so many people are megalomaniac enough to believe they are so special they must be living in "the last days". After all this Universe can't continue to exist after I die, can it? All we need to prove it is a couple of ancient verses which can be turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Gimme a break. I guess I have to stay out of such threads. Enjoy it folks. I suggest next we should discuss how the Cedar Point convention fulfilled the Revelation.

Pole

*Except for China and other lands which are not part of the inhabited earth in any scriptural terms.

**For they will put their hours in service scrolls more scrupulously than those of the false prophet class.

*** Awake goes monthly.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    You know what, AFIN? You're right. I'm sorry. I pretty much went off on you. That was inappropriate and uncalled for. (In my defense, I am a creature of habit and I accidentally found myself downing my 3rd cup of coffee because it was sitting here in the pot and I usually drain the pot. [turns out I made 2 pots today] My hands are literally shaking, I must be edgy.)

So anyway, sorry. Too harsh.

Have I told you lately how much I like you, Dave?

You never cease to amaze me.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leolaia .. the destruction of Jerusalem forpictured the future 'end of this system of things'.

There is no inherent concept in the text of the destruction of Jerusalem being a "type" for a much later end of the world. As I already pointed out, the coming of the Son of Man in eschatological judgment was to occur within the lifetime of those who heard Jesus. The text makes this very clear. "All these things" (panta tauta), that is, both the destruction of Jerusalem and the coming of the Son of Man, were to occur within that generation, so that some of those who heard Jesus "would not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming with his kingdom" (Matthew 16:28, 24:34). That is how the revealing of the Son of Man in glory was to occur "immediately (eutheĆ³s) after the distress of those days" (24:29). There is just no concept of a time gap lasting many centuries in between the two events. All the things in the eschatological discourse were to occur in connected fashion, and before the generation that had heard Jesus had passed away.

"a Matthean redaction of the original phrasing of Mark 13:10." ????????? ... all scripture is inspired ... so why is there a redaction???

Because Matthew is literarily dependent on Mark. This is the concensus of those who have studied the synoptic question. Matthew is essentially a revised version of Mark with extra parables and sayings inserted in, plus with a new beginning and new conclusion. The same goes with Luke, who openly acknowledged his acquaintance with earlier gospels (Luke 1:1).

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Remember Jesus made that quote 2000 yrs ago when he was virtually unknown to the world outside of Judaea. Who today in the yr 2005 doesn't know about Jesus and the message that he brought? Even atheists, buddhists, hindus, whatever know about it beacuse of all the 'witness' work being done for the past 2 milleniums. The idea that JW by themselves need to carry this out is preposterous. You dont need to reinvent the wheel.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Pole....The thing is, the NT shows that in the first century, Christians believed they were already living in the "last days".

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. ... Some, however, made fun of them and said, ?They have had too much wine". Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: ?Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ' "In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy" (Acts 2:1-2, 13-18).
    "But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe" (Hebrews 1:2).
    "Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days" (James 5:2-3).
    "Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour" (1 John 2:18).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit