dubspeak follies

by what_Truth? 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

In Ray's book In Search Of Christian Freedom, he quotes a paragraph of a description of the Catholic Church saying that no one can interpret the bible except them and that they are the sole mouthpiece of God. Basically saying "the Church" and "Priests" "Pope" etc and then tells the reader to replace "the Church" with "the Organization", and "Priests" with "Governing Body" or something like that. (I'm paraphrasing) Anyways, the effect is amazing - and simple and obvious to see.

I wish I could find that page in the book again. I just leafed through it and can't find it. Anyone know where? PM me. I'll book mark it this time.

-ithinkisee

• blondie
    blondie

It's hard to get rid of them.

As to "church," I know several Christian religions that make sure to let people know that "church" refers to people not the building, Lutheran and Baptist, respectively. JWs teach that only the anointed are the "church" so you can see why they can't call the buildings they meet in churches.

I hate how they use "ones"

young "ones"

older "ones"

spiritual "ones"

mature "ones"

or

pure language

or

new society, new order, new system, new world

district assembly, then district convention

shepherding calls

donation arrangement

Arggh

http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-words.htm

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

justtickled pink, after that embarrasing 'truth' encounter with my friend I did the same thing. Made a point to systematically eliminate all dubspeak from my vocabulary unless it was used to describe an activity or item that was pretty much unique to them. Even then you have to be careful.

Another incident that sticks out in my mind was the time I was supposed to sing in a Christmas concert with my highschool choir. I had recently left the JW's and run away from home to live with my recently faded dad and it so happened that the concert fell on one of my mom's visitation weekends. Even though I didn't have any qualms about doing a christmas concert I knew that the very idea of it would REALLY hurt my mother so I decided to opt out. When my teacher asked why I calmly explained that my mom was really worried that I was going to die in Armageddon for doing the concert especially since almost every song was about Jesus (yes, I realise the irony). She just gave me this look like snakes had crawled out of my eyes.

Taylor S, I understand what you're saying about the 'field service'. My wife is black too and had similar qualms about the terms "Cicuit Overseer, Presiding Overseer, and Ministerial Servant." What's really strange is that recently the JW's have made such a hard push for black converts yet they haven't thought to change these terms. Then again, no one has every accused them of being sensitive or cutting edge.

• rebel8
    rebel8

A cult technique is to use a unique set of vocabulary to unite members and insulate them from non-members and outside ideas. See http://www.factnet.org/rancho1.htm?FACTNet Scroll down to #6, ?Loaded Language?.

''Publisher?

A very strange choice of words from a publishing corporation that is trying very hard to make itself look like a religion.

?the Truth"

I always hated that term. Never used it to any non-dubs, because people would be highly offended when I explained what it meant. LOL, my ?unbelieving? dad used to say, ?If you are ?in the Truth?, do you also say that I am ?in the Lie???

• bem
    bem

IP_SEC's comments reminded me of one I was kinda fond of using."HBH" home but hiding.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Slightly off topic, but I was reminded recently of the rendition in NWT of Romans 10.13. "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved" (Never mind that their Greek Interlinear shows the word as Kyrios 'Lord')

Who else calls on the name of Jehovah but J W's? So, therefore "The bible says, that is what we must do to be saved"

Or does it?

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

The term Publisher. What are we publishing? Does publishing mean knocking on doors and giving out magazines?

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    ''Publisher'' is one I just took as read - until a comment on here made a little ''ding'' lightbulb flash in my head! PUBLISHER - why that word? It's secular (and that's another dub-favourite word). If I didn't know better I'd think it was an 'in-joke' at Brooklyn....

Oh, man, you just unearthed a buried memory.

I remember filling out my first-ever subscription form. I was so New in the Truth® that I didn't even know what "Publisher" and "Pioneer" meant. I assumed that a "publisher" was someone who had a lot of Bible studies and a "Pioneer" was someone who was just starting out preaching - so I checked that.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit