HOW WOULD A WITNESS ANSWER THIS?

by Mary 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I thought of a question I'd like to ask my sister-in-law (who's a fanatical Dub). I'd like to say to her: "...If it could be proven to you beyond any doubt that this was NOT the "one true religion", would you still go to the Kingdom Hall?..."

I figure it's a Catch-22 that really ought to make them stop and think. If they say "yes", they'd still go, they would realize how ridiculous that sounds. On the other hand, if they said "no", then that leaves open the door (or a tiny crack) for the possibility that this is not the one true religion. If you were still a believing Dub, how would you have answered this question, if someone had asked you?

• Neo
    Neo

"...If it could be proven to you beyond any doubt that this was NOT the "one true religion", would you still go to the Kingdom Hall?..."

I would simply answer "no," back in my dub days. At least that part of my mind was not under control.

Neo

• franklin J
    franklin J

I think a dedicated JW would tactfully try to explain that answering such questions is counterproductive to the preaching work.

They would somehow turn it around and start to preach to you....and continue to count time.

You would never get ANY answer; much less the desired one.

been there, done that,

Frank

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Mary:

If it could be proven to you beyond any doubt that this was NOT the "one true religion", would you still go to the Kingdom Hall?..."

JW Response:

There is no useful purpose to discussing hypothetical situations that could never happen. We focus on reality, not fantasy! By the way, have you seen our latest Watchtower?

That's what I once said when I was still a JW when faced with a similar question.

Walter

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Their brainwashed thinking is too circular....

You could never prove the org is not the truth because the statement would not be true and we know it is not true because the org tells us so and the org cannot lie...we know the org cannot lie because they are spirit directed and we know this is true because to org tells us so and the org cannot lie.......

LOL --- round and round and round.....

It reminds me of an old original Star Trek episode (I, MUDD for any other trekkie nerds)......the heros tell an android that they must believe that everything the hero says is the truth....they then tell them to listen closely and say..."I am lying".....the robot then implodes trying to rationalize that everything they say is the truth but they said they are lying but they can not be lying because everything they say is the truth and therefor they can not be lie....yadda, yadda.

Everytime I see that rerun I think of the dubs.... LOL

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    You would never get ANY answer; much less the desired one.

I agree with franklin because I did ask my parents that and all I got was "well, that's not going to happen". I couldn't, for the life of me, get a straight forward answer from them.

You just go in circles.

FF

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

I probably would have responded by saying, "it has already been proven to me as "the truth". i have been there done that in other religions and in the world. i am satisfied that this is "the truth" and i no longer have need to search elsewhere."

That's drama! I really thought that way. It wasn't until I truly lived through being a witness to the fullest through thick and thin good and bad that I realized it was not the truth.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

My dub mom and I had a similiar conversation. She was very irate and upset because I have been faithfully attending chuch. And I told her that JW's are not the "one true religion" Her response and I quote, "Even so, I still would not go running to some church"....So in other words, even if proven that dubs are not the one true religion I'm quite sure many of them feel just like my mom, where else can they go?? They've been brainwashed for so long that they can't function not doing dublike things.

It took me a while to finally break away too. And even if I wasn't going to church, deep down inside after knowing just half of the things I know now, I wouldn't keep going to the hall. I always felt uneasy about not speaking to someone after they were df'd. Didn't think it was right then and now that I am df'd myself, I still don't like it.

• Swan
    Swan

My elders, under guidance from Jehovah's Holy Spirit, told me you would ask me this question! Isn't Jehovah's organization amazing?

Tammy

• gumby
    gumby

Most dubs feel the organisation is the closest thing they will ever find if it's not the ONLY truth.

They feel safe with the truth they have because they know for sure that holidays are pagan, christians shouldn't go to war, homosexuality is wrong, and preaching the good news is vital. What other churches can claim each denomination will believe these things in unity?

When I was a dub.......no other church ever appealed to me to ever want to be a member or step foot in one because I had a good idea of what they believed in.

Dubs must be past a certain point for your idea to work. They have to have strong doubts first.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit