When is the "Memorial" this year? Will you attend? >>>>>>

by WingCommander 51 Replies latest jw friends

• amen
    amen

I will never go to a memorial, the idea of cristians living on earth is absurded.

If i would go which i won't i would have to participate in taking the bread and wine. But i would feel that i have left the others behind. All should participate.

Another doctrine which is wrong. Are there any truths to the truth left?

amen

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

This will be the first year my family and I will not be attending. I expected to feel at least a twinge of remorse, sadness, something but there is nothing. Wait...maybe...oh sorry, still nothing.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I think I have mentioned before, this will be my third year of non-attendance. I intend to ''celebrate'' at home for the first time - when I mentioned this to a JW though, I was informed that Jesus (I think) stressed the importance of not isolating ourselves but to be united in a ''Congregation''. <sigh> - I just can't win.........

• avengers
    avengers
    Are you going this year?

NO!

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Hmmm - yes, something I've never questioned before is the actual date - but I have just consulted TWO Jewish calendars, and both state that Nisan 14 falls on April 23rd. Can anyone explain the discrepency to me? Many thanks.

• blondie
    blondie

I'll bite.

Jewish days start after sundown. Perhaps they mean after sundown on April 23 in one case and on another mean midnight to sundown on April 24.

Blondie

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I will not be going to the annual fashion show this year.

I went back once in the 6 years I have been away and got nothing but grief after this with people asking me when I would be coming back.

Also the false sincerity of people who don't talk to you in the street but come over like best friends because you go to the hall, maddness I tell ya!!

BM

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Nope Blondie - I didn't mean that - I want to know why the JW are a MONTH out?

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I put that badly - what I want to know is how do the JW explain celebrating Nisan 14 in March, when it appears to be a month later in April?

• blondie
    blondie

You might note on your calendar that other Christian religions are celebrating Good Friday on 3/25 and Easter on 3/27 rather than around the Jewish date in April. I believe that the Greek Orthodox Church celebrates around the Jewish date.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/passoverdate.html

Since the Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar it has to be adjusted every so often by adding a month so that the seasons aren't off.

Do you remember when the Julian calendar was adjusted to the Gregorian calendar for a similar reason?

The WTS makes a similar explanation.

w90 2/15 p. 14 From Seder to Salvation ***

Moreover, the ancient lunar calendar needed to have a 13th month added occasionally so that the calendar would synchronize with the seasons. The current Jewish calendar adds this month at fixed points; in a 19-year cycle, it is added to years 3, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, and 19.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit