When is the "Memorial" this year? Will you attend? >>>>>>

by WingCommander 51 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Greetings all!

Long time, no post. :) I was just curious when the Memorial was this year? Is it at the end of March, at full moon, right? I am going to take my wife along this year for the first time. She knows of how I was raised and my more than liberal attitude towards my JW beliefs (raised JW, but not baptized) and I try to at least get to the Memorial every year, for Jesus sake, not anyone else. I'd like to start going to Sunday meetings once a month for my sons sake. (I'm raising him as a JW, but liberally doing so) I can only hope that the talk this year will be more about Jesus' sacrifice for us and his life, instead of the 144,000 talk that they had the other year. That could be taken as confusing for most outsiders, and I myself was put off by it. (at least, that was the talks main focus at my congregation)

Are you going this year? If only for Christ? How about just to piss people off then? lol.

Regards, Wing Commander

• blondie
    blondie

March 24 after sundown.

Not going

Why go to a party where no one eats and drinks?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I have many many many issues with this.

I am going. For alot of reasons maybe just because it is a cult and I feel like I have to even though I don't go anymore and its been about 7 or 8 months. And yes for Christ I will go for him. And yeah I think I will dress a little slutty just to piss people off! I am still so confused at this moment. I feel it is alright for me to go maybe next year will be different. Pleasing God or my Family is a tough battle.

Brooke

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Are you going this year? If only for Christ? How about just to piss people off then? lol.

I'm not going, but the idea of pissing people off is the only thing that could make me have second thoughts about it.

If I were inclined to celebrate the memorial? for Christ I wouldn't do it among JWs who, by their actions, renounce everything he stood for. I'd sooner do it alone in my garage.

For your son's sake, think about avoiding meetings altogether. If he wants to check them out when he's an adult that's his choice. But why risk exposing a young, fragile mind to cult indoctrination?

Walter

• minimus
    minimus

I'll be at the dentist on March 24. I'd rather be in the dentist's chair than go to a Memorial-----any day.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Not going. I quit JWs 10 years ago but ALWAYS went to the Memorial out of obligation and to please my mother.

THEN, 3 years ago she invited me but told me to drive myself and attend a memorial by myself because I had told her I would be bringing my then boyfriend (now husband) with me. She refused to ride with us all in one car to the Memorial. Even though that meant introducing an unbeliever to the Memorial. HILARIOUS... I realized I didn't need to go.

Last year she pulled the same stunt, invited me, I told her that we (as a family) would attend and my fiance would be driving, we'd be happy to pick her up, she refused, so that's it. Not ever going to go again.

• trevor
    trevor

The Jeovah's Witnesses idea of the Memorial is a farce.

The braindead members are allowed to watch the chosen few in their congregation partake at an annual event called ?the memorial? By watching them partake, they believe they qualify to live forever on earth. They are called observers. What if none of these chosen ones are in their congregation? In this event, the commemoration takes place in the same way, but no one, not even those taking the ceremony partake of the emblems. The wine and the bread are passed around and return to the table untouched. The members present are not even able to watch someone else partake and claim to have been observers.

How can a Christian claim to have taken part in the Lord?s Supper just by looking at the emblems? To all but the Witnesses this seems strangely removed from the example that Jesus gave Christians to follow.

To be a Witness, one is denied of partaking in the Lord?s Supper with other Christians - the most fundamental act of faith a Christian can perform. All who wish to be Christians should look into the matter very seriously and decide whether the Watchtower Society?s view on this matter fulfils the scriptural requirement for Christians.

• blondie
    blondie
    And yes for Christ I will go for him

Just a question, whyamIhere, are you sure Christ will be there? Is that the only place Christ will be?

Could you honor Christ by having a small observance at home with people who love you? A little wine and a little unleavened bread from the store, candles and some non-JW music that is spiritually uplifting? A reading of the scriptures of the account of Jesus and his apostles which is more intimate, not the account by Paul, not 30 minutes of being told why you can't partake and made to feel that you are secondary Christians?

Going to the memorial is that last tie many have; but is it because of Jesus or because of family pressure?

Love, Blondie

• undercover
    undercover

I went last year and actually listened and paid attention more than I ever had before. In the 45 minute talk before the passing of the emblems the speaker spent more time on who was eligible to partake, the importance of the 144,000 and the remnant thereof than on the actual memorial of Christ's death. It was as if Christ's death was an afterthought in how important the occasion was. It came across as an infomercial about the hiearchy of the JW religion and why they are so ordained by God to serve as light givers to the rest of us non-partakers.

Will I go this year? Only if asked nicely by family that is still in. It's easier to go and give them some little false hope than it is to create a big argument over why it's all baloney. I know many people swear off ever stepping in a Kingdom Hall again but when you do go on that rare occasion it only reinforces what you have learned after opening your eyes and mind to the real truth.

• jaredg
    jaredg

i thought about going and partaking in the wine and bread. when my dad asks what the hell i was doing i'd say that "since i've left the WTS i've never felt closer to God and that i believe i am going to heaven".....so THAT's why i partook. hahahah i bet he'd really shun me forever for that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit