Anyone had a near death experience?

by holly 29 Replies latest jw friends

• holly
    holly

Or anything similar??? The nearest I came was knocking myself out - my life actually did flash before my eyes. It could only have been seconds before bumping my head and hitting the ground, but i flashed through scene after scene of life events, from childhood to adulthood. very strange.

holly

• cindykp
    cindykp

Yes, when my ex husband choked me so hard that I couldnt breathe!! Until his sister pulled him off of me! Left my whole neck purple!! Prob not the story you were looking to hear lol

• Golf
    Golf

I've been resurrected over ten times!

Guest77

• Mary
    Mary

I myself haven't had one, but I've read experiences of others that have had them. Those that don't believe in a life beyond death tend to share the viewpoint of Dr. Susan Blackmore who claims that all of these experiences are nothing more than the brain breaking down when deprived of oxygen and all the neuro receptors flooding the brain, producing the euphoric feeling and causing you to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This might account for some of the NDE experiences, but to me, it does not explain other important areas of it. Why do people who have the NDE, "meet" relatives who are already dead? You never hear of them seeing relatives that are still alive, but only those who have already passed on. Plus, people having these experiences have been able to give pretty accurate details of what was going on in the operating room when they were at death's door. People have recounted conversations that others have had when they're nowhere near the operating room.........it's a fasinating topic and I heard that at least one hospital was going to try an experiment. They are going to hide various objects in the room (like on top of a cabinet---somewhere where the person could not possibly see it). If someone has an NDE and they can accurately describe the object, it would go a long way in proving that something extraordinary is going on here.

I read an interesting article in Reader's Digest a couple of years ago on this subject. It said that while doctors are reluctant to use the word "soul", some have begun to theorize that it might actually be possible for our conscience to survive outside our bodies---especially during times of extreme stress.

I think this theory is actually quite credible. I personally know two Witnesses who have have had the "out of body" experiences. Neither of them were near death, so you can't claim it was just the brain breaking down, although some of the symptoms were the same. The one sister had this experience was when, as a child, she was being raped. She told me that she "felt herself somehow pop out of her body and she was looking down at herself and at what was happening." Another Witness related a similar experience. I think this is significant, because as we well know, Witnesses do not believe in a life after death, or that the soul survives death. These two are still faithful Dubs, but they didn't know what to make of their experience. One of them was fairly sure it was Satan trying to deceive her into thinking she had a soul.

An interesting subject.........I wonder if one day, we'll find out for sure what it is.

• simplesally
    simplesally

This might account for some of the NDE experiences, but to me, it does not explain other important areas of it. Why do people who have the NDE, "meet" relatives who are already dead? You never hear of them seeing relatives that are still alive, but only those who have already passed on. Plus, people having these experiences have been able to give pretty accurate details of what was going on in the operating room when they were at death's door. People have recounted conversations that others have had when they're nowhere near the operating room.........it's a fasinating topic and I heard that at least one hospital was going to try an experiment. They are going to hide various objects in the room (like on top of a cabinet---somewhere where the person could not possibly see it). If someone has an NDE and they can accurately describe the object, it would go a long way in proving that something extraordinary is going on here
    JW's would say that the demons tell people what it was like in the operating room. They firmly believe that there is no soul in the body rather the soul is the body, the life, the person.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    Or anything similar???

hmmm.....not exactly what you're asking, but I do lucid dream (although haven't for about a year now) - one explanation being that these are 'out of body' experiences.....I personally have no explanation, but they can be quite amazing! Anyone else do this....?

• fairchild
    fairchild

I survived a small plane crash, as well as a bomb on a train. Several car accidents, a vicious attack by a rabid dog, fell 4 stories down on a construction site, and I can't think of anything else right now, but there was probably more.

Anyway, here's my near-death experience (true story)

I don't do drugs and don't drink. It has just never attracted me in the least. So one day, about 8 years ago, I was having a bonfire outside (as I do every day in summer time). A few friends came over with beer. They were rolling their own cigerettes and offered me one. It never occured to them to tell me that they had mixed marijuana with the tobacco. Had I known, I would not have touched them. Anyway, I puffed about 3 cigarettes, started to feel a bit 'weird', and I decided to have a beer. Strange, because I don't drink alcohol at all. Less than an hour later, I was lying on the ground, unable to breathe and unable to walk. (I later found out that I'm allergic to both, marijuana and alcohol).

So they call the EMT.

EMT shows up and gives me oxygen. An ambulance is on the way, but I'm not an idiot. I was not going to agree to go to the hospital with marijuana and alcohol in my system, they would have judged me the wrong way. The ambulance shows up, carrying some more EMT guys. Now there's uniformed people all over my yard, my friends have disappeared (nice friends, huh? lol), and everyone is trying to convince me to go to the hospital. I'm still lying on the lawn, wearing an oxygen mask and being all freaked out. Then I overhear the EMT guys talking to one another saying how this is a 'life and death' situation. Now, I wasn't feeling oh so great, but this was no life and death situation. So for no reason, I start laughing like an idiot.

Well, I know that this is pretty lame, but that was my 'near death' experience. I was near death, according to someone else, but I was never really near death.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Why do people who have the NDE, "meet" relatives who are already dead? You never hear of them seeing relatives that are still alive, but only those who have already passed on. Plus, people having these experiences have been able to give pretty accurate details of what was going on in the operating room when they were at death's door. People have recounted conversations that others have had when they're nowhere near the operating room.....

Mary,
    This has always fascinated me too. The questions you asked were pretty much what I had wondered too. I've been close to death many times (they just don't WANT me up there!) but never never have seen this phenomenon, but only a warm peaceful feeling.

**not exactly what you're asking, but I do lucid dream (although haven't for about a year now) - one explanation being that these are 'out of body' experiences.....I personally have no explanation, but they can be quite amazing! Anyone else do this....?

The Edge,
    I used to have these when I was a child, but no more. I had MANY ESP-type of experiences as a child and to a lesser degree as an adult. I stifled all of these things when I became a JW, and haven't had anything like it since.

Along the same idea, I have frequent dreams of people that have died. They're not morbid dreams, but activities that were like what was done when we were together and they were alive. Just as if they never "left", and I'm always amazed to see them because I know they had died! My sleeping mind is like a movie theater!

Annie

• Satanus
    Satanus

There have been threads like this before. People who shared stories about this often were told by skeptics that they didn't really see or experience what they claimed. As a result, they may not feel like doing it again.

S

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i've been down the tunnel of light....after my c section when i was coming out of the anestesia (sp) i was aware of a tunnel of light...and i was traveling towards the light FAST.it was light like id never ever seen before........when i hit the end BOOM i was wide awake and well aware that my tummy had been split open from hipbone to hipbone.it was exactly like i've heard people describe a NDE and it was freaky but i knew i wasnt dying.. just running out of morphine lmao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit