What's your greatest coincidence?

by ozziepost 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

This wasn't earth shattering but it stuck in my head...

My daughter was with her dad the weekend of Mothers Day last year and we had arranged to meet up later for dinner. I was at the mall shopping and stopped for some coffee, I noticed they sold bakalva (a greek pastry) which I hadn't had in forever. I decided to get some with my coffee and about half way thru it thought about my daughter and that she might like to try it..so I saved it for her.

I met my daughter and her dad for dinner and afterwards I remembered I had the bakalva I had saved for her and pulled it out. My ex looked at me kind of weird and said that Bubbles had asked him what bakalva was....looked up from bagging leaves and said "hey dad what is bakala?" just out of the blue while they were doing yard work. I asked him when it was...it was a few hours perviously right about when I was getting it.

Sometimes you wonder how many other coincidences happen you just don't ever connect them....

• Swan
    Swan

I went to work for an insurance company up in the Portland area. There were just three of us computer analyst in the office of about forty. Dave sat in the desk behind me. I learned that his father Jack was an agent in Grants Pass and member of the board of directors. For two days every couple of months the board members convened there from all over the state.

One day while the board was convening my husband came in to take me out to lunch. The board came out of the board room and Jack noticed my husband waiting there and demanded of the receptionist "Who let him in here?" and saying "I'm going to toss this bozo out on his ear." My husband stood up and yelled back, "I'd like to see you try."

The poor receptionist ran into our office and told me that my husband and Jack were about to get into a fight. Turns out those two characters were old friends! Often in the past my husband would stop in Grants Pass while traveling and meet Dave's parents at a local restaurant for pie, coffee, and chit chat.

Tammy

• holly
    holly

Praying for God to show me the truth, then the jws turning up at my door an hour later !

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have been researching my family genealogy for many years. One weekend, Dave said he wished he knew more about his family and their history. I had gone back to 1800 with his father's line, and hit a dead end (fire at the town hall and all records destroyed), so that was that.

His birth mother died a few days after he was born, and we knew very little about them............just their name. On the next Monday, we got a letter in the mail from one of Dave's distant cousins, who was doing research on his mother's family and they were looking for a particular David King, so had done a mass mailing to hundreds of people in the country with that name. There were just enough details to know it was the same family. We called them immediately, gave them the information they wanted and got what we wanted.

The amazing coincidence was that I was going to Salt Lake City, where they live, the next weekend for a seminar. They picked me up on my last day and I met them, and they gave us pictures and I met more of that family.

We were pretty astounded at that set of coincidences. Or were they? Sometimes I think we send out energy into the universe and it comes back.

Many times I've been thinking of someone, and the phone rings and it is that person. Often I haven't seen or heard from them for a very long time.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Another time we were invited to meet a family that were just out of the JW's, from Oregon. They were driving to Seattle to meet others like themselves and get some emotional support.

When we were introduced to the husband and wife, I recognized the name of the husband, who was 50ish. I said I had known a boy by that name when I was a child, but they had moved to Alaska. He said his family had moved to Alaska when he was 6. So I said I had known them in South Seattle, and he said they had been in the Midway congregation.

That was where we were too, back then.

So I asked him if he recognized the name (my parents last name) Maxfield. He said their first names, and we both knew at that moment that we knew each other about 45 years earlier. Our parents had been good friends and had stayed in touch and they even flew to Seattle from time to time to see my Dad in his office (he was a naturopath.

That was 5 years ago, and we have all become good friends since, and have visited each other often, and vacationed together every summer for 4 summers.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Many times I've been thinking of someone, and the phone rings and it is that person. Often I haven't seen or heard from them for a very long time.

This happens to me too sometimes.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

What a great question.

My best friend, Cathy. I met her when I was 7 months pregnant. We worked together. She is six years younger than I am. She was also pregnant. Her child was due a few weeks after mine.

We both married "Joes" on October 5th, 1985. We did not know each other. We both got divorced from the JOES the same month. Our kids were born within 5 weeks of each other, and still today hang out as brother and sister, which we raised them like. The thought, to each of them, of THEM getting together is gross..h ahhahaha.

Her brother died at 21 of substance abuse. My brother died at 21 of substance abuse, not too far years apart. She is the youngest of all boys, and I am the oldest of all boys.

Both of our Mothers are the oldest girls of the kids in their families. Both of our mothers are the same age. Our mother's next siblings were boys. They are our uncles. Hers died of AIDS, mine is dying of AIDS.

Both of our Mothers have the same middle name.

Our Fathers are the same age.

We're best friends.

She has red hair and I hate red hair. Go figure...

CG

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Diamondblue's experience made me recall something that happened to me. In 1962, I was startled awake at 2:15 AM. The loudest BANG woke me up and I got up with my heart pounding to check the area outside to see what it could be. Nothing. Everything was quiet and normal. The kids were all sleeping peacefully---and a noise that loud would have woken them. It was deafening.

My mother called me later that morning to tell me that my dad's boss had died when the furnace had exploded in his home. She said it was about 2:15 AM when it happened.

I lived 35 miles away from where he died. Weird.

Annie

• FMZ
    FMZ

A close friend of mine (more like a father than a friend) had a similar experience.

He had gone to the shopping center to get some groceries, a 10 minute walk from home. He was (and still is) a very fit individual who works out and does martial arts, running a few miles in a day was nothing to him. He had finished his shopping, and was just walking out of the store, when he suddenly felt ill. Short of breath, nautious, dizzy... he had to sit down for a while to regain his composure.

He finally felt better, and made the walk home. When he arrived home, he went in and found his father hanging from the ceiling, having committed suicide.

Interestingly, my friend told me this story when we were both still dubs. I don't think this fits in too well with the dub persona, that might be why we are both out today.

FMZ

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Praying for God to show me the truth, then the jws turning up at my door an hour later !

Sigh, this has happened to me as well, which brings me back to the question I asked earlier. When you pray for something, and it happens, or it seems to happen.. how do you know if it is an answer from God, or mere coincidence?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit