What's your greatest coincidence?

by ozziepost 47 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Cindy:
    That sounds like the prayer of Jepthah.
    You were supposed to sacrifice the first people who came to your door...

...had you done so your medical condition would have been sure to have resolved itself in time

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

In January 2000, I had just broken up with my boyfriend of two years, been laid off from my job, and found out I needed major surgery. All in a matter of 10 days. I was terribly depressed and suicide seemed like the only way out. One Tuesday night about 11:30, I decided to do it. I had an old bottle of pain pills and a bottle of vodka. I knew I could get rid of the depression by just taking those together. It was the only answer. I felt an overwhelming sense of peace come over me that relief was right around the corner. But right then, my cell phone rang. It was the number of my Sunday School teacher. I thought it strange that she would call me that late at night, so I thought it was an emergency. I picked up. It was actually her husband calling to check on me. He had an overwhelming feeling that something wasn't right and just wanted to see how I was. I broke down crying, confessing what I was about to do. He said, "Andi, I'm going to hang up and call you right back from another line." He hung up and called from a number I didn't recognize. He stayed on the phone with me and in a few minutes showed up at my door. He helped me pack my bags, my pillow, and my quilt and drove me back to his home. His wife was standing at the door in her robe with open arms. I stayed in their guest room for several weeks until I gained enough where-with-all to go back to my place.

To this day, I believe that Mr. K******* calling me was divine intervention.

Andi

• Descender
    Descender

Heheh, this one is one that my Mom always told me and was probably one of the reasons I stuck around, being a witness as long as I did.

I was a baby and my parents lived in a mobile home park. My parents had been searching for a religion for awhile because they wanted me to have a christian up-bringing. Anyway, one day my mom was praying that god would show her the true religion. Right after she said those words, she heard a knock on the door. Guess who, of course it was two witnesses at the door. Later they told my mom that they had felt a strong need to come to that particular mobile home, because they weren't even doing that territory and were coming home from service when the need to go to my parents house was just too strong to ignore.

Coincidence? I would think it was more likely an exaggeration of what really happened so as to upbuild other witnesses and keep them around longer. The couple that came and talked to my mom that went to Bethel and the husband was later disfellowshipped for adultry with another married sister there. And him and his, then wife, were both kicked out of Bethel.

Another coincidence was a little strange happened last year. The first girl I dated after my wife and I seperated had been engaged to a guy before she went out with me. I found out after I'd known her for a little while that her ex-fiance had the same last name as my first name, which isn't that common, he'd been married 5 years just like I had, his birthday was the exact same as mine, and he was the same age as me as well. Kinda weird.

• Golf
    Golf

My dad's 'sperm' (me swimming among the millions) uniting with my mom's 'egg' and here I am. Oh, was that luck?

I'm glad my mom was ready to receive an my dad giving me a boost! I was at the right place at the right time. Hmmmmm.

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

One day I smell this overpowering scent of blood.( I think I was told sometime later that there is a plant that gives off a scent of blood.) Anyway I mentioned it to my wife, but she didn't smell it. A few weeks later I get a phone call late at night. It's a reporter and she says she's sorry about my loss. Would I be willing to give a her a little information about my sister. I asked her what in the world she was talking about. She got real quiet..said she was sorry and hung up. The next call was from the police. My sister was a police recruit and was shot by her boyfriend she was about to break up with. He was a cop and shot my sister in the back, while my niece was watching, and then killed himself. Hence the call from the reporter...it was a big story in the papers for a while. Not only did I have to ID my sister's body but also had to go to her apartment to clean up all the blood and body tissue.

• fairchild
    fairchild

So, if you ardently pray to God about something, and then it happens, (like in a few of the experiences on here), how does one ever figure out if it was God helping, or just mere coincidence?? I've often wondered about that.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

A long long time ago, while in my late teens, I got lost and drove into a really really really bad neighborhood one afternoon. My new polished sporty car and I stuck out like a sore thumb.

This group of thugs was approaching my vehicle, and they seemed with not so good intentions whispering and laughing among themselves. I then proceeded to pray to God in my mind. My prayer was more like "I'm sorry for all the bad things I've been doing lately. Please get me out of this jam."

Like 5 seconds went by and then, as the thugs started running towards my car and just about to reach it, I looked at my rear view mirror and who do I see go by one of the side streets? A cop car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put that baby on reverse and floored it while sounding the horn really loud, desperately, to call on the police's attention.

They saw this crazy looking car flashing the lights, backing up so fast, sounding the horn loudly and came towards my car right away!!!

The thugs had fled the scene the minute they saw the cops. One of the police officers, after having asked me for all the routine paperwork, asked me if I knew I was in the worst neighborhood of the whole State!!! He said there was at least one murder per day there.

I thought to myself, and until this day still do, that God saved me. Why, I don't really know or understand why, because back then I was being soooo bad, breaking all kinds of Biblical moral rules! But, for whatever reason, he did! God back then sure saved my little behind.

That's my greatest coincidence story and I'm sticking to it.

DY

• fairchild
    fairchild

A long long time ago, while in my late teens, I got lost and drove into a really really really bad neighborhood one afternoon. My new polished sporty car and I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Oohh, this reminds me of one.. pretty 'funny'.

It happened in Belgium, somewhere in the eighties. I had visited a friend, and it was about two in the morning when I started to drive home. I took the short way home, which was a 5 mile long dirt road between corn and potato fields, usually only used by farmers. Right there, in the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere, the car broke down. I decided to sleep in my car and walk to get help as soon as the sun would come up. I settled on the back seat and tried to fall asleep. All of a sudden, I heard something. The noise came closer and closer.. until I recognized it as the engine of a vehicle. Being out in the middle of nowhere, I got really scared. I decided to pretend that I was asleep. Ostriches stick their head in the sand, but there was no sand, so pretending to be alseep seemed like the second best thing to do. The vehicle stopped right behind mine (It was a small dirt road and there was not enough room to pass). I heard a knock on the windshield.. Turned out the vehicle was what they call here in the states a triple A vehicle. The guy had all the tools needed to fix my car, and he did it for free.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

A number of coincidences.

Met a man named Malcolm and his wife on vacation in Cozumel, Mexico. We became friends and scuba dived together for the next few days and he took me out to eat at the only pizza restaurant on the island. When he left we said we'd get together and do it again. I never called or wrote him. Just got busy with life. Two years later I went back to Cozumel with some of my scuba friends. I took them to the same pizza joint on the island. While we were waiting for a table and Malcolm and his wife walked in for dinner. Man, were we shocked. This time I took him out to dinner.

---------------------------------

At one time in my life it was a part of my regular prayer request to God to help people out of the Watchtower, or help prevent them from getting involved in it. I began running into JWs on vacation, out to eat, in the gym and elsewhere. One was in a restaurant with only one available table open. It was Christmas and the place was packed. I sat down and an arm-length's away a JW woman was telling her co-worker about how great the "truth" was and what JWs believed. I ate in stunned silence as I listened to the JW woman talk in detail about her beliefs while her co-worker drank it all in. I finished my lunch and felt I had to say something. I said, "Excuse me. I hate to barge in but I want to let you know the JWs are a destructive cult that destroys families. Before you join please check the internet first. You don't want to get involved with this group." The non-JW woman looked at me with a blank look of surprise while the JW lady's face had an expression of smugness and anger.

Another story. I went to the court house in my town to get some assistance in preparing a transcript. I didn't know any court reporters so I randomly picked the third floor and began knocking on doors looking to find a court reporter who would help me. I found a court reporter who was nice and was willing to answer any questions I had. Turned out she was studying with the JWs. We ended up having a two-hour conversation about the real story of the Watchtower.

• bebu
    bebu

Megadude, why the heck did you stop praying?!? Looks like you were praying something God wanted to answer.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit