What I remember from 1975

by Big Dog 77 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I note that our latest JW defenders seem to be in the privy a long time.

Shallow witness rhetoric just can't hold water to facts and reality, Alan. They must realize how absurd some of the defenses they put up are after a while.

Circular reason, ad homminen attacks are about all they have.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Don't know why that all highlighted like that - sorry

• Englishman
    Englishman

Those of us who were around prior to 1975 saw with our own eyes the fever pitch that was being generated by the society. This took place particularly at District conventions. The convention of 1966 was full of it before anything was put in print and we all headed home thrilled to bits.

I was there until 1972. I saw it. I heard it. They said it.

Englishman.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thats it Eman, it was really something to see. I remember in our congregation 40 or 50 for field service on Saturday was the average. In 1974 with the trouble with Nixon and the White House, there was so much buzz it was incredible. Everyone just knew there was no need to plan ahead (college, retirement, career, mortgage, etc.). My wife's parents ditched several family heirlooms, and valuable furniture as it was 1973 and The End was coming soon.

No amount of revisionist history can change the reality for those of us who lived it 30 years ago.

I got in a huge argument with one of the elders (I was only 12!) over 1975. He was convinced it was going to happen October 1975, and I argued that if he was right, it would violate Jesus' statement that no one knew the day or the hour (God I bought into this sect so badly!). We went back and forth for nearly an hour with him getting red in the face before he finally stalked off.

My biggest regret is we moved in June 1975 so I never got to say ... HOWDY ... to him in November.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

In 1975 I was not a witness, but my husband's cousin was. I never met this cousin, but the family had s bizarre stories about the cousin and her family living up in the woods and living off of acorns and preparing for the end of the world. I remember the cousin's brother speaking of a visit to his JW sister's house. I guess these JWs had also parted from most of their worldly possesions and the brother spent one darned uncomfortable night sleeping on an old broken down sofa after eating a meal of acorns. Guess that should have clued me into life as a JW, but it didn't and about 7 years later I became a JW in the midst of a bad bought of post partum depression. The whole JW doomsday doctrine fed on my paranoia and anxiety at the time. I think they catch a lot of people this way.

cybs

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

You know you are in a religious cult when you find yourself living in the woods on a steady diet of acorns waiting for the end of the world.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The March 8, 2005 Awake! clarifies all in an article entitled "How Much Longer Will It Be?" and under the subheading "6,000 Years Completed in 2024,"

Fascinating. An ex-jw was just telling me this was a hoax, never written about in wts literature. Now it is. I think you've got a typo there though. 1914+120=2034, not 2024.

Anyone know where we can view a scan of this fascinating article?

• Robdar
    Robdar

My father urged the family to be calm during 1974-1975. Still, everytime I went to the KH, I couldn't help but become worried since everybody in my cong was worked up about it. I, too, started having nightmares of all hell breaking loose.

I was glad that we lived near the woods because (just in case the Big A did happen) I had plans on how to hide my siblings and my pets away from the murderous hordes of worldly people that may attack us. I had read several books on how to identify local edible plants so I thought that I could find enough food to feed my little brother and sisters. I figured my pets would be able to hunt for their own food. I remember praying that they would survive too--and not be eaten by the marauders.

I laugh when I think about it now....

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit