Smokers - How do you justify it to yourself?

by AlmostAtheist 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I may be being really obtuse, so forgive me; but what exactly are clove cigarettes? I don't think we get them here unless it is a euphemism for "gear". Someone please tell me - I feel I'm missing out here!

• ballistic
    ballistic

In the UK, more people die from obesity than smoking - it's official. Yet they haven't banned advertising junk food, and people don't put a levy of 80% tax on Macdonalds.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I highly suspect that tobacco is often (not exclusively) only a contributory factor to premature death. I know many people who smoked on into their 80's, with a high quality of life. I've also known a lot of younger people dying from cancer who neither smoked, nor were exposed to passive smoking. GO figure...

As for the smell, that's one of the reasons I prefer my pipe

Crumpet:Clove cigarettes really are made with cloves as well as tobacco leaves.
    I haven't seen them here, but I tried some in the States. They're ok, in a cigarish kinda way.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Sure, we all have to die from something, and we WILL die one day...but why the hell rush it, and help it along? Isn't our time here short enough? Isn't your life precious and worth more than that?

I hate it when I see a post that prompts self-examination.

Walter

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think a lot of ex-JW's try cigarettes when they leave the org because they can. And those of us with addictive personalities find ourselves hooked in short order.

I smoked as a teen and young adult, but quit about a year before I came into contact with JW's, because I felt like cigs were a waste of money. I started up again while I was still attending Southeast cong Dave. I felt so guilty about it, went to the elders for "help", but afterwards I still couldn't resist the temptation, and I started to wonder why such a big deal was made of things like that. I remember smoking a cig while driving on I-670 near the airport and my adrenaline was going off the chart because I was so afraid of being seen, but at the same time I was thinking that for me to be so scared of being seen smoking was just wrong. That was the beginning of the end.

I've gone on and off of them since leaving, I've been off a couple months now, doing fine without them. But I give partial credit to Phillip Morris for getting me out of the borg.

I know this really isn't on topic, sorry. :)

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    "Smokers that smoke around non-smokers (except in designated smoking areas) really bug me." I remember about 10 years ago at a corporate event near Denver, we went out for dinner as a group of 30 or 40 people. And in between dinner courses, we'd light up & order another drink. I was sitting next to a very sharp, professional looking grandmother type ... probably in her mid-50s. And this sweet old gal seated next to me leaned in close & quietly said "Can you see the looks on the faces of the folks across the table from us? I don't think they like us smoking. F*** 'em."

I'm enjoying the thought of her standing outside a building in the cold or rain having her smoke. Hard to look professional standing around the corner with your coat collar turned up trying to stay warm standing next to cleaning woman, having a smoke, and watching those who aren't addicted walking into the building and her thinking "f*ck em" Some good changes in 10 years.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I felt so guilty about it, went to the elders for "help", but afterwards I still couldn't resist the temptation, and I started to wonder why such a big deal was made of things like that.

I can't buy that the Bible can be used to declare smoking "bad". Any scripture they pull out, whether about cleanliness or druggery, would also apply to other things that they don't condemn. (coffee, tea, cough medicine) They are certainly bang on when they say there are health risks, but the Bible is silent on it.

Dave

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Lets see.....smoked fairly heavy when I firtst got out...mainly because I had a high stress job and everyone else smoked too....then all the smoking rules and laws changed and I couldn't smoke at work anymore....so I quit.

A few years ago i started smoking cigars...first because they really annoy people...next because they take awhile to smoke and it gives me a chance to relax a little, slow down after a hard day and relax....and lastly because, if youg get the good ones, I like the taste and smell of a good cigar.

Now...I dont smoke at home, in my car or around my kids....I live where it is freezing or below outside from November to April and I can't legally smoke in most public places like bars and eateries....so the times when I can actually have a cigar now are few and far between.

RandyW (of the I got em but can't smoke em class)

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I live where it is freezing or below outside from November to April

Bloody Hell, I was thinking it is cold here in England at the moment! Why don't you move somewhere it is easier to smoke?

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I ask myself the same question every winter LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit