Smokers - How do you justify it to yourself?

by AlmostAtheist 60 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I've been smoking since I quit being a Witness. I smoked for a week when I was 15, I quit when I started studying. My "smoking" then was only a few cigarettes, I was by no means addicted. For the past several months, I've been smoking about 5 clove cigarettes a day. (Djarum Blacks) I have a Camel Wide now and again, and a cigar now and again, but the cigarettes are my mainstay. (I once commented that I didn't like cigarettes, but that was before I discovered clove cigarettes!)

So, here I am, smoking, and reading a thread about how to convince a teenager to quit smoking.

I read the Surgeon General's report. It kills you. Every important part of your body hates it. Damages lung alveoli. *Damages* them, not just clogs them.

Now of course, I know it kills me. And you know it's killing you. Yet here we are, puffing away. How do we allow ourselves to do this?

Do we believe that it will shave ten years off our lives, and so we accept the loss of the ten years in exchange for smoking? (There's no way to know if this is the case. My grandmother smoked for decades, she's 91 and reasonably healthy. Other people smoked for a few years, then died of lung cancer or heart disease. There's no way to know how many years of your life you're exchanging for the pleasure of smoking.)

Do we just close our eyes to the consequences? "We know they exist, but they don't exist today, so who cares."

I am seriously considering slowing down on them. I really don't want to quit. I love it. But I don't know if I can truly reduce it to once a week, or less. And studies aren't very promising that such reductions are overly helpful. Quit, or smoke, but reduction is still "smoking".

So the question is, how are we able to justify this suicidal practice to ourselves?

Dave

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

It won't happen to me, I've got to die one day, it helps me through the day, everyone deserves one vice

Need I go on?

I stopped in November using the Allan Carr book - The Easy Way To Stop SMoking. It gradually changes how you feel about ciggies and is the most effective method I have come across

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Apparently burgers have a similar effect. I don't see warning labels on BurgerKing wrappers...
    I kinda see it as an occasional treat.

I'll stick that in my pipe and smoke it

LT "social smoker" class

• Englishman
    Englishman
    LT "social smoker" class

Unclean in the Eyes of Jehovah class..

Englishman.

• Satanus
    Satanus

pharmakeía* - that's my justification.

***g86 1/8 p. 21 Is Smoking Really Wrong? ***

Says The International Standard Bible Encyclopædia: "Paul in Gal 5 20 classes with uncleanness, idolatry, etc, what he calls pharmakeía . . . drugs used in exercising the magical art." Note, then, the great spiritual harm of addictive substances used for pleasure: They cut one off from God?s favor?and from God?s people.

Due to the magical use of drugs in Bible times, Galatians 5:20, 21 translates phar·ma·ki´a as "practice of spiritism." But the Kingdom Interlinear translation shows "druggery" as the literal meaning, and Ferrar Fenton?s translation uses "poisoning." Bible scholar Adam Clarke specified that "drugs" and "fumigations" (smoke) were employed "to produce supernatural effects."

S

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Everyone has to die of something, so it may as well be from smoking. For me the alternative would be to live well into my eighties or nineties like the rest of my long-lived family. The difference is I have no kids to visit me while I rot in some old folks home, unable to change my own diaper. Why would I want to hang around long after life becomes a pain in the ass?

Walter

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I have never smoked. Mostly to my mothers forbiding it as a youngster and them the wbts forbiding it.

Got df'd and still did not smoke as I felt it was a hazard to my health.

Then I was given a cigar by a friend as we were having a beer and lots of fun in the group.

Then I felt it was kinda like pissing on the jw's and their religion when I smoked a cigar and those who shunned me could see it. I got a real kick out of it.

This lasted about 3 yrs. then I began to think of the health hazards and my age at the time, 66.

So I haven't smoked for a year now and may only smoke a cigar "if someone gives me one" a few times a year.

I think pissing on the jw's might be one of the motivators we ex's use.

Outoftheorg

• upside/down
    upside/down

I like what I heard one comedian say... That last he knew smoking "years" were taken off the backside of your life. So you would be missing out on the last 10 years or so of your life- the ones where you pee and crap on yourself, drool and can't remember anyones name- sounded like not such a bad trade off after all.

I personally detest cigarette smoke having two chain smokers for parents (filterless Camels and Salem menthols- yuk!). Although I love to puff on a flavored cigar or smell a pipe on a celebratory occassion.

As far as people living a long time with "vice", that is strictly genetics. That's why you'll see tofu eating, water drinking, exercising ones drop dead of a coronary at 29 and the opposite live to 99 and vice versa. It's a poor argument to sustain a bad habit. Like the people who say "I was saved by NOT wearing my seatbelt", true perhaps but statistically not wise. I try to remember too that their are no prizes given out at our death for the least abused corpse. A few "scars" is a testament to a life "lived". Like a classic muscle car that's never ben "red-lined"- what a waste.

I now personally strive for MODERATION in ALL things! Worked for my grand pa and his grand pa and his...

u/d (of the need to approach red-line more often class)

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Don't smoke, never have,never will...

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Now of course, I know it kills me. And you know it's killing you. Yet here we are, puffing away. How do we allow ourselves to do this?

..it's called addiction.

Smoking is a delicate subject to me. When I clicked on the title of your thread, I thought, oh no, not another one trying to tell me that I don't quit because I don't really want to quit.. Trying to make a long story short.. I am 42 and have smoked since I was 11. I am an extremely strong-willed person and there is nothing I can't do if I really put my mind to it. (Well, ALMOST nothing.) I remember one day saying to a friend of mine.. "I have decided to walk from New York City to Las Vegas" That friend of mine did not laugh, she knew me too well. I did it and it took me ten months, but I did it. What I'm saying is, I have a very strong will, an enormous passion, and lots of determination, I really do. However, I can not (can not, can not) quit smoking. I have done anything humanly possible, and for several years, the urge to quit became an obsession. Every cigarette I smoked disgusted me to no extend. I have gone to several doctors, etc... Not one, but two different doctors have told me that there is something about me, about the way I physically and mentally react when I lack my nicotine fix. I start shaking, lose my hearing, lose part of my sight, have trouble breathing, not to mention the nervousness.. I cry without interruption (and I am NOT they crying type). This really is a true story. Now, those doctors have told me that perhaps I should not totally quit smoking after all, as it might not be good for my health to do so. I wanted to quit so badly, because being a JW and smoking don't go together, and I wanted to get baptized so badly. At one point in time, I began a study of the whole smoking phenomenon, thinking, perhaps if I really understand every aspect of the addiction, I might be able to kick it. The results of that study were not what I had expected, and they disappointed me. Apparently, researchers are more and more agreeing that smoking is controlled by something in your brain and you have less control over it than you think you do. I am sure that some will disagree with this, but I am only stating the results of research here.

Oh, have I told you yet that I hate smoking? How do I justify it to myself? I can't and I don't. Until recently, I felt guilty about every cigarette I smoked. After deciding not to go to the KH anymore, things got a lot better. I have now somewhat taken peace with the fact that I am, and perhaps always will be a smoker. I have set some rules for myself, and as long as I stick to them, I will be fine and free of guilt. I never, NEVER smoke in the house. I go our for every cigarette I smoke. I never smoke more than 12 cigarettes a day. I'm happy when I can stick to ten, but sometimes I go up to twelve. I never smoke before 11am and never smoke in a vehicle.

Geez, am I wandering off the subject? Some who read this will most likely think that I am a typical example of someone who is trying to find excuses for herself when it comes to smoking. To them I will say, trust me, you don't know me, and I am the last person who would want to excuse myself for something like that.

So, if you want your few clove cigarettes, as long as you can stick to just a few, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But don't forget that smoking is more addicting than alcohol, gambling, heroin.. A few years down the road, you might find yourself smoking more than a few of these goodies, every day. You do need to be aware of that. The road to addiction is paved with compromises, trust me, I know. It is true that a few cigarettes a day are not more dangerous than anything else. What IS dangerous is the danger of wanting more than just a few..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit