Smokers - How do you justify it to yourself?

by AlmostAtheist 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

I'm a social smoker. When I'm around other smokers and drinking I will light up. I enjoy the smell and taste of a good bowl of pipe tobacco from time to time too...

I don't justify it, I just do it a la Nike

• under74
    under74
    how are we able to justify this suicidal practice to ourselves?

I don't know. I guess it's because I don't really think about it too hard or else I'd be forced to quite one of those little pleasures in life. Nothing like a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Also, I guess when it pops into my head that one day I might die I never think it'll be caused by a smoking habit (which would be the most likely)--I usually think "wild bear attack" or something epic like that.

I also agree with you about putting others at risk Dave. It's just rude to smoke around people that don't....however if I'm smoking and a adult non-smoker comes over to chat, it's not really my problem.....but I still take a few steps back.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    That's not a smoking problem, that's a bad manners problem. Smokers that smoke around non-smokers (except in designated smoking areas) really bug me.

I second that. It is a matter of consideration. Smoking, spitting, picking your nose..

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I smoke only because it makes me look cool, gives me a ton of friends, and I am better at my job because of it.

Thanks to smoking I have a great life...KIDDING!

Brooke

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

How did I justify it to myself?

I always honestly thought I could quit any time I wanted.....And I did, many times!!!!!!!

But I always started up again after some time.

Then I had to watch a person die from smoking and it was a horrible, horrible thing to see. All those people who say, "Oh well, we all gotta die sometime, I might as well smoke," have never actually seen someone slowly, painfully die much too young. After that, I seriously wanted to quit FOR GOOD....and I found that I couldn't. I struggled for months, always slipping, always beating myself up, always in withdrawls....

Then one day, my husband said, "I am going to quit smoking tomorrow," and he DID! I was sooooooooo friggin' pissed!!!! He made it look so easy!! It really burned me up, no pun intended. That anger was just what I needed to kick the habbit for good. This May will be 3 years. (Thanks, hon, for pissing me off!)

I am now watching my MIL literally loose her fingers and toes because of smoking, and she will not quit. It is a horrible, horrible addiction.

I still miss it, especially in social situations, when I am very stressed, or on the rare occasion that I have a drink. I really, really do.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Smokers that smoke around non-smokers (except in designated smoking areas) really bug me." I remember about 10 years ago at a corporate event near Denver, we went out for dinner as a group of 30 or 40 people. And in between dinner courses, we'd light up & order another drink. I was sitting next to a very sharp, professional looking grandmother type ... probably in her mid-50s. And this sweet old gal seated next to me leaned in close & quietly said "Can you see the looks on the faces of the folks across the table from us? I don't think they like us smoking. F*** 'em."

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    For the past several months, I've been smoking about 5 clove cigarettes a day. (Djarum Blacks)

Those things are the shiz-nit. Smoke more than that and your lungs start bleeding, though.

laters

kaykay_mp

• rocky220
    rocky220

me won' nuttin' but to smoke mon!!!! tru dat!.... rocky220 [lol] [she's rollin' again]

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    Then I had to watch a person die from smoking and it was a horrible, horrible thing to see. All those people who say, "Oh well, we all gotta die sometime, I might as well smoke," have never actually seen someone slowly, painfully die much too young.

(((LisaBo))) I, too, watched my step-aunt die from lung cancer. And as she was shitting herself and lying in it, (she couldn't walk anymore) she lit up another one. She was only 55.

Sure, we all have to die from something, and we WILL die one day...but why the hell rush it, and help it along? Isn't our time here short enough? Isn't your life precious and worth more than that?

I also think saying "[eidit] 'em" is really heartless.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"I also think saying "[edit] 'em" is really heartless."

No doubt! But I'm still amused by the paradox of this older professional leaning in & saying that. I'm sure my eyes bugged out a bit in surprise at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit