Does the bible teach that man is superior to women or just diffrerent?

by JH 52 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Looking at how the JW's treat sisters compared to brothers, it would seem that the JW's think that men are superior to women.

Is this what the bible really says?

• franklin J
    franklin J

...this is a very good , interesting post and one that is very pertinent to contemporary life....

I do not believe that the Bible is a sacred book; however I do believe that women should be treated as an equal in every way ( except physical; of course) to men. I firmly believe in equal pay for equal work.

This is a very unique time in history for women; they can be equals to men in Western culture.

The bible refers to women as the "weaker vessel". Does that mean physically? mentally? does that mean that we are to treat them as less than we treat men?

According to the WTB&TS; women are NOT treated as equal to men. Women cannot do what men do. They are treated like 2nd class citizens....

and to add "insult" to "injury", they say this is how "Jehovah" ( the great Superior) decreed it.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I dont know if the bible teaches it but I do remember that if Dad ever get home when mum saying a prayer before we eat he would chuck a teatowel over her head, or if she was conducting a bible study and he was present. I never understood why God would be happier with my mum wearing a teatowel!

• MAHABA
    MAHABA

On a biological level he is different, but not superior.

But according to the Bible,on account of to the new state introduced by sin, he is superior on behalf of his superior strenght used in a bad way, not in a way of caring his own, but in a way of selfishness.

Gen3:16 To the woman he said: ?I shall greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in birth pangs you will bring forth children, and your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.?

HT

Genesis 2:18 wayyöº´mer yhwh(´ädönäy) ´élöhîm lö´-?ôb ( no good )héyôt(to be) hä|´ädäm (the human)lübaDDô( to-alone-him ) ´e|`éSeh-llô ( for him )`ëºzer( helper ) KünegDô( as complement of him)

ESV

Genesis 2:18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for 1 him."

"(Henry)2. How God graciously resolved to provide society for him. The result of this reasoning concerning him was this kind resolution, I will make a help-meet for him; a help like him (so some read it), one of the same nature and the same rank of beings; a help near him (so others), one to cohabit with him, and to be always at hand; a help before him (so others), one that he should look upon with pleasure and delight. Note hence, (1.) In our best state in this world we have need of one another's help; for we are members one of another, and the eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of thee,

1Co_12:21 . We must therefore be glad to receive help from others, and give help to others, as there is occasion. (2.) It is God only who perfectly knows our wants, and is perfectly able to supply them all, Phi_4:19 . In him alone our help is, and from him are all our helpers. (3.) A suitable wife is a help-meet, and is from the Lord. The relation is then likely to be comfortable when meetness directs and determines the choice, and mutual helpfulness is the constant care and endeavour, 1Co_7:33 , "
    • So, the man as not been created superior to woman, but disobediance brought forth that bad state.
    • In fact man, not only dominate his wife, but also other man.
    • Such was not the purpose of God in creating man
    • Ecl 8:9 All this I have seen, and there was an applying of my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, [during] the time that man has dominated man to his injury
  • rwagoner
    rwagoner

well...ribs are also a lesser cut to chose to make women from....*snicker* sorry...couldn't help myself.

I agree with franklinj...in our day, this is a great time for women to succeed and ever excel. I completely support =pay for =work.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I also do not believe the bible is written by god, this is a very good examlpe of that. How can an all mighty supreme being grant you the gift of childbearing, then tell you it will be painful as a punishment from then on against all women? EX, women are unclean, longer if she births a girl, women are portrayed as spiritualy weaker and as seducers of good men. Does that really make sense? Women are portrayed so negatively in the bible that even an idiot could conclude that a sexist man, not a loving all knowing god wrote those lines.

One of my favorite quotes:

Woman are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness.- Karl Marx

That speaks volumes to me.

Dragonlady76

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

One of my fav quotes......

"Honey I dropped the remote...and since you're coming in here can you grab me a beer ?".....RandyW

KIDDING....geez..I'm only kidding....my wife would pistol whip me if I ever tried that LOL

My pet name for her is Matilda or tilly for short...but everyone who knows us calls her "Tilly the Hun" LOL

RandyW

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

no offense to the women out there,but.......at my job ,which is in the labor field,women get to be hired before men at certain times because they have to have women work thier,kind of like affimative action.While I don't agree with this persay,I really get heated when they get the light duty jobs because of it.I have to break my back while they walk around doing nothing basically.How is that fair,when I blow my back out because thioer getting easier jobs every day.It does add up over time.

• upside/down
    upside/down

They are not "equal" the way some would have you believe. Just as all men are not "equal". They deserve the same level of respect and dignity as any human. When it comes to liftring heavy things and killing anything from another human to a spider men seem to be the obvious choice, when it comes to having babies, dealing with pain and multi-tasking women seem to have the upper hand. Of course, there's exceptions to all "the rules".

But gentlemen treat women as a far superior creature than themselves and ladies treat men as far superior to themselves- a very "Christlike" mentality. Too bad most Dubs again fail miserably in this dept. HEAPING reproach on their on deity to their and His shame!

They are certainly complimentory though. A very Yin Yang kinda thing goin on.

Personally I think women are the best thing since... man was created. I LOVE 'EM!!! I'd do anything for them.

We're different! And that's the beauty of the whole arrangement. IMO-strictly.

u/d

• heathen
    heathen

Crumpet --- The bible does instruct women to wear a head covering when praying or prophesying but men are instructed not to . 1st corinthians 11 . exsplains the reasoning behind it . Now I didn't see a whole lot of dubbies doing this during the meetings , they do think women can be of the 144k tho but do not grant them the same" priveleges" of men , even the" anointed "women cannot take a lead role as instruction speaker . It makes no sense to me that they would even consider them as the 144k .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit