Why Are Some Superstitions Okay?

by Swan 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Jehovahs name out loud because his name will scare satan and his demons away

Sorry HD, but the name Jehovah is not a charm. It is a Major mistranslation/misunderstanding of the Tetragram. You are correct, using the name to scare off the deeminz and statan is a dub superstition.

IPSec

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Smurf dolls, notorious for gang raping whole congregations in the 80's,

OK, I laughed out loud at that one...

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    I always thought this kind of thing was a form of superstition. I was pressured to give away some precious belongings due to this twisted logic. The letters my brother wrote to me before he died were among the treasures I lost due to JW idiocy

My mother is notorious for making us throw stuff out from people she thinks may be demonized. Even after leaving the truth, she still does this to this day. I am sure she is or has gone through everything in her house and has tossed whatever it was that I gave her, since we are on the outs, and maybe permanently so.

I knitted her a prayer shawl and I bet she gets rid of it.

There are so many things that I've thrown out that I really wish I hadn't now. I've stopped doing that myself.

Ash

• Swan
    Swan

Thank you Scully!

• _Atlas
    _Atlas

A while ago some lady told us one of these stories?

Supposedly a man who was studying had many demons in his house and became possessed during a visit of two elders. Elders were silent and couldn?t pronounce Jehovah?s name? I do not remember the details but somehow a couple of policemen come into the house and they couldn?t speak also. All in all there were around 6 people waiting for the elders to shout ?Jehovah?. One of them prays in his mind and finally gets the name out? Then back to life like nothing.

When I was driving home after this I told my wife that I was surprised that since 6 or so people witness the episode, the whole thing never made the news or something (trying to jumpstart her brain). She said that Satan and his demons spend a lot of time erasing their tracks? and that I better believe in their existence?

I guess I need an industrial size generator?

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    Plus it is the Eyes of March

You mean the IDES of March? Ides is Latin for ''division'' (I think) and the Ides occur approx half way through each month.

• bem
    bem

Good questions lots of the things I have wondered about also and we all know The wts never makes predictions.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Everyone has superstitions. It's part of being sentient in a universe that clearly resents sentience.

IN any case, most people indulge themselves in egocentric fantasies; (this traffic is here to make me late!) and in rare cases leads to schizophrenia, when you wander into the egocentric fantasy world and never come out. So it is no surprise when the dubs, denied the traditional superstitions that satisfy the need for egocentrism, create a bunch of their own.

SOme would say it is harmful, I would just say impossible to avoid...

CZAR

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Our circuit dedicated an entire service meeting to 'demons and objects that attract them' when someone claimed to have had objects disappearing and being moved at night. It was traced to a WWF (wrestling) doll that the son had got from school. I'm serious. We all went home and scoured our homes for objects that we may have aquired without thinking of the danger and burn these items right away as obviously the demons were active in our area. I personally burned my Toto and Eagles albums that night because the cover artwork looked suspiciously like demonic symbols. YES this is fear and superstition. I suffered loss because of irrational fear. Many that night had trouble sleeping, praying for protection to the great Juju in the sky Jehovah.

• Swan
    Swan
    Everyone has superstitions. It's part of being sentient in a universe that clearly resents sentience.

IN any case, most people indulge themselves in egocentric fantasies; (this traffic is here to make me late!) and in rare cases leads to schizophrenia, when you wander into the egocentric fantasy world and never come out. So it is no surprise when the dubs, denied the traditional superstitions that satisfy the need for egocentrism, create a bunch of their own.

SOme would say it is harmful, I would just say impossible to avoid...

Good point Czar! But if so, why not just acknowledge it as normal human behavior? You could have wind chimes knowing that there history was linked to scaring demons away, but now you like them because of the wonderful tinkling sound on a balmy day. Or you could do like the Watchtower and absolutely forbid wind chimes because somebody somewhere in history used them to scare away demons.

Isn't forbidding something because it was once a superstition superstitious in itself? Isn't the avoidance of certain things like wind chimes or fuzzy dice still a way to impart power to the object or superstition?

I just don't quite get it. It never made sense to me. Like the analogy of "don't think of a white horse." Poof! The image of a white horse is in your mind. The very effort of trying to avoid something gives it power and tangibility just as much as believing in it. It actually may even give it more emphasis in some cases.

Wouldn't it have been better for the Watchtower to say, yes, it is an old superstition, but if you like the sound of wind chimes, go ahead?

I just don't understand them... but maybe that's a sign of growth. (sigh)

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit